Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car starts, shudders, and then shuts off with CEL

Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car starts, shudders, and then shuts off with CEL

This has happened about three times within the past couple of months. But it happened twice in a row last night.

I try to start the car and it starts and the RPM goes to about 1,000 and then quickly dips down to 200 and then the car shuts off and shows the Check Engine Light. This happened twice in a row and then on the third time it started but almost seemed like it was going to do it again but it didn't.

09 G37x with 92,000 miles. Is this most likely the spark plugs or coil packs or something else?

After the car starts correctly the CEL goes away and there are no codes stored.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Keep a DTC reader in your car. When you get the light, check the code at that time. Post the code here.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:02 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiver
This has happened about three times within the past couple of months. But it happened twice in a row last night.

I try to start the car and it starts and the RPM goes to about 1,000 and then quickly dips down to 200 and then the car shuts off and shows the Check Engine Light. This happened twice in a row and then on the third time it started but almost seemed like it was going to do it again but it didn't.

09 G37x with 92,000 miles. Is this most likely the spark plugs or coil packs or something else?

After the car starts correctly the CEL goes away and there are no codes stored.

the check engine light your seeing is because when the car dies it goes to accessory mode.

its not a actual check engine light. It's just a bulb check procedure.

If you go to your car and turn it to accessory mode (engine not running) you will also see the same check engine light on, as well as multiple other lights. This is the car doing a bulb check. You don't really have a check engine light.

If you really had a check engine light it would be illuminated when the engine is running.

I get this same problem every once in awhile too. I notice it only happens when the car has been warmed up. After a long drive, if I park the car and come out 30 minutes to 1 hour later to start it, it'll start up normally and than rpm starts to drop to 300-400rpm. When I notice the rpm starting to drop I just quickly blip the throttle. It stops the car from stalling than the rpms go back to normal. If I don't do this, the car will stall out and will usually start right back up on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

it never left me stranded

I tried cleaning both throttle bodies, cleaned the MAFs, ran BG44K through the gas tank. Still this happens intermittently. Maybe twice a month.

2011 G37 auto with 76k miles

Last edited by qmantran; 01-11-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:23 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Try doing the throttle re-learn
Old 01-11-2018, 07:08 PM
Rwdxtacy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I second this^
Old 01-11-2018, 08:11 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Try doing the throttle re-learn
Thanks for the suggestion, I just did the procedures below.

Infiniti G37 Sedan Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning Procedure

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or Engine Control Module (ECM) is disconnected.

Instructions
  1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
  2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
  3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
  4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
  5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
Infiniti G37 Sedan Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning Procedure

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or Engine Control Module (ECM) is disconnected.

Instructions
  1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
  2. Turn ignition switch ON.
  3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds
a.) Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.
I did those two steps above and followed the G37 ECU reset procedure last.

Upon start up it fired right up and quickly settled to 750-800 rpm instantly. I'll report back with updates.
The following users liked this post:
afrayedknot (02-24-2019)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool glad it worked, nice trick when the car is acting strange...I notice it helped after I cleaned the throttle body on my 04 g35 and when my battery died on my 10 g37...weird how those things will mess up the computers idle

Originally Posted by qmantran
Thanks for the suggestion, I just did the procedures below.

I did those two steps above and followed the G37 ECU reset procedure last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95WszTnphPI&t=1s

Upon start up it fired right up and quickly settled to 750-800 rpm instantly. I'll report back with updates.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:37 AM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
the check engine light your seeing is because when the car dies it goes to accessory mode.

its not a actual check engine light. It's just a bulb check procedure.

If you go to your car and turn it to accessory mode (engine not running) you will also see the same check engine light on, as well as multiple other lights. This is the car doing a bulb check. You don't really have a check engine light.

If you really had a check engine light it would be illuminated when the engine is running.

I get this same problem every once in awhile too. I notice it only happens when the car has been warmed up. After a long drive, if I park the car and come out 30 minutes to 1 hour later to start it, it'll start up normally and than rpm starts to drop to 300-400rpm. When I notice the rpm starting to drop I just quickly blip the throttle. It stops the car from stalling than the rpms go back to normal. If I don't do this, the car will stall out and will usually start right back up on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

it never left me stranded

I tried cleaning both throttle bodies, cleaned the MAFs, ran BG44K through the gas tank. Still this happens intermittently. Maybe twice a month.

2011 G37 auto with 76k miles
Ahh that makes total sense. Didn't even really pay attention to the other lights that probably came on, I just saw the CEL and was like

I'll try the throttle relearn as someone else mentioned and see if that helps at all.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Bocian
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Hope you get it resolved. Just to add a suggestion to a throttle issue, clean your throttle bodies if you haven't. My G was sputtering after starting up and somethimes died while idling. After cleaning the tb's, I was amazed at how much it helped, no problems since.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...le-bodies.html
Old 06-09-2021, 10:17 PM
Boss'Don
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help

[QUOTE=Black Betty;4176761]Keep a DTC reader in your car. When you get the light, check the code at that time. Post the code here.[/QUOTEi have same problem my codes P0603
P1554
P1551