Rough road clunk at low speed | 2009 G37x 125,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:24 AM
Botlerocketwar
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough road clunk at low speed | 2009 G37x 125,000 miles

Hi all,

​​​​​​My mechanic verified that there is a clunk coming from the front left, mostly noticeable at low speeds over rough-surfaced or bumpy roads, and they suspect that the issue is internal to the front right strut mount. There is nothing loose, and they feel the control arms, ball joints, end links, etc..., are all very solid and in great shape.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Has anyone ever had a clunk verified to be caused by an internally damaged upper strut mount? Doesn't make a difference whether turning or going straight, and it doesn't get worse over larger bumps.

​​​It's a ridiculous amount of trouble to replace the strut mounts as it requires removing/installing the entire strut, so really not looking forward to this. The mechanic feels there is no safety risk, but the noise is certainly annoying, and noticeable by passengers.

Could it be something else that the mechanic could have missed?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2017, 02:12 AM
Botlerocketwar
Registered Member

Now that I've driven the car a thousand miles or more, the clunk is really getting to me. Before I go ahead with new front struts and mounts, has anyone else has this problem and resolution after new strut mounts? Seems like noises from this part of the suspension are extremely uncommon.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2017, 09:44 AM
smitty37g

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its probably the upper strut mount bushing, not a safety issue, just an annoyance. in the amount of labor to replace them, with 125k, you might as well replace the whole strut.
I'm 95% sure that will get rid of your noise.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:51 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Assuming the shocks are original, @125k miles they are about due to be replaced, I would consider a new front pair of shocks. You can reuse the springs but new top mounts should be on the list.

As far as noises being uncommon from that area, as the G platform ages this will show up more & more. Check Rochesters' build thread recently, his upper rear mount needed to be replaced and is now quiet again (and he's only got like 40k miles on his).

And to be honest, it's not a lot of work, especially for a shop w/ a spring compressor.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Assuming the shocks are original, @125k miles they are about due to be replaced, I would consider a new front pair of shocks. You can reuse the springs but new top mounts should be on the list.

As far as noises being uncommon from that area, as the G platform ages this will show up more & more. Check Rochesters' build thread recently, his upper rear mount needed to be replaced and is now quiet again
Rears are much easier, since the springs are separate from the dampers. There was no "clunk" in my rear suspension, just a pervasive creaking noise that the shop correctly diagnosed as the upper mounts.

[edit] nope, they did not correctly diagnose squat. The problem returned, and it was the rear damper, squeaking all over again like nails on a chalkboard.

Bottlerocket's problem could be anything. Front end suspension problems are a b1tch. But I agree... if this is an OEM suspension with 125k miles, time for new parts. And "new parts" are code words for "upgrade".

Originally Posted by blnewt
(and he's only got like 40k miles on his).
37k miles.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-28-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Unfortunately not the greatest options for AWDs regarding just shock "upgrades", not even sure if there are any higher performing units available since Koni is just RWD specific.
There are complete coilover systems for the X platform, but I doubt any of them would be able to ride at OEM height, now if the OP was wanting to lower his X, then
Old 12-17-2017, 04:36 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
fwiw my front suspension clunk turned out to be shot endlinks. Might want to look into that.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:42 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
fwiw my front suspension clunk turned out to be shot endlinks. Might want to look into that.
Did you go with MOOG end-links for replacements or other?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:39 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
2011 AWD with 70k - had a front end rattle over small bumps at slower speeds (<25 mph) that I cured by replacing both end links. Now I have a similar clunk in the same situation (small bumps/slow speeds).

For both noises I can reduce (or eliminate) the noise by lightly applying the brakes.

Annoying but the clunk hasn't been identified.

-Eric
Old 12-18-2017, 02:48 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by llebcire
2011 AWD with 70k - had a front end rattle over small bumps at slower speeds (<25 mph) that I cured by replacing both end links. Now I have a similar clunk in the same situation (small bumps/slow speeds).

For both noises I can reduce (or eliminate) the noise by lightly applying the brakes.

Annoying but the clunk hasn't been identified.

-Eric
What end link did you go with?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:50 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
Did you go with MOOG end-links for replacements or other?
yep, moogs
Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
What end link did you go with?
Beck Arnley from Rock Auto - less than $60 for the pair.

-Eric
Old 05-20-2018, 09:41 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Any updates from OP?

After replacing end links noise remained so today I swapped sway bar bushings (Moog). Seems to handle a little different but noise remains. Odd that it sounds like a loose hubcap and goes away with slightest pressure on brakes. Afraid it's more serious and costly.
-Eric
Old 05-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Botlerocketwar
Registered Member

Interesting timing to ask! The noise is definitely still there, and either I'm more annoyed with it now, or it's gotten worse. I've also driven quite a few other cars and am convinced the ride quality is compromised. With these two things in mind, I'm having new front shock mounts and struts installed this Tuesday! I will report back on whether or not this fully resolves the issue, and potentially snag a photo or two of the bad mounts.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:37 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Botlerocketwar
Interesting timing to ask! The noise is definitely still there, and either I'm more annoyed with it now, or it's gotten worse. I've also driven quite a few other cars and am convinced the ride quality is compromised. With these two things in mind, I'm having new front shock mounts and struts installed this Tuesday! I will report back on whether or not this fully resolves the issue, and potentially snag a photo or two of the bad mounts.
Look forward to it. Before Tuesday, could you see if slightly applying brakes has any impact? I probably need a professional diagnosis but bushings and end links were cheap and easy.

-Eric