View Poll Results: Best quality gasket for exhaust
Z1
16.67%
Fast Intentions
66.67%
Other
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Why did it do this??? Who makes the better replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:22 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I went through the effort to get SS nuts and bolts for my exhaust a few years ago. They're certainly more expensive than basic hardware, but seemed a good idea at the time.

Honestly, I think FI should offer a SS hardware kit. I bet almost everyone would updrafe when ordering, and they could do it on the cheap for huge profit. Granted, small $$$, but all basically free money to them.

Or they could get really fancy and offer a hardware kit in titanium.
Agreed. I’m going to do the same thing. Thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
It's normal. All your other bolts on your vehicle is just as rusted as your exhaust bolts..

Your steering shaft rusted
Bolts/studs on your block rusted
Transmission pan bolts rusted
Differential bushing bolts rusted

The exhaust bolts for my cat also looked just like yours and I live in Texas.

I had the Z1 metal gaskets. Recently I removed my FI High-Flow cats to get re-welded and while I had the cat out I decided to replace it with the FI gaskets instead. I also purchased the FI hardware kit

The Z1 claims they are re-usable, however I noticed there was a very small exhaust leak on both cats while using the Z1 metal gaskets. You can see black soot build up on the gasket where it was leaking.

It wasn't leaking enough to cause a CEL or cause exhaust leak noise, but with the car running I could feel exhaust gases escaping through that small area.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:11 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Don't waste your $ on the Z1 gaskets on my FI test pipes and they still leaked. I'd use a composite gasket with RTV.

I switched to MD ART pipes which use the OEM donut ring gasket, they haven't leaked yet. However, my Y pipe to ART pipe leaks consistently. Not sure what else to try.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
It's normal. All your other bolts on your vehicle is just as rusted as your exhaust bolts..

Your steering shaft rusted
Bolts/studs on your block rusted
Transmission pan bolts rusted
Differential bushing bolts rusted

The exhaust bolts for my cat also looked just like yours and I live in Texas.

I had the Z1 metal gaskets. Recently I removed my FI High-Flow cats to get re-welded and while I had the cat out I decided to replace it with the FI gaskets instead. I also purchased the FI hardware kit

The Z1 claims they are re-usable, however I noticed there was a very small exhaust leak on both cats while using the Z1 metal gaskets. You can see black soot build up on the gasket where it was leaking.

It wasn't leaking enough to cause a CEL or cause exhaust leak noise, but with the car running I could feel exhaust gases escaping through that small area.

Ended up ordering 2 Fast Intentions gaskets.
I’ve learned a lot from this thread lol this is a good forum with great people that always go out of their way to help. Thanks yall
Old 11-20-2017, 06:58 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Don't waste your $ on the Z1 gaskets on my FI test pipes and they still leaked. I'd use a composite gasket with RTV.

I switched to MD ART pipes which use the OEM donut ring gasket, they haven't leaked yet. However, my Y pipe to ART pipe leaks consistently. Not sure what else to try.
I hate exhaust leaks. Had the worst time with a top speed exhaust that I used to have, then a local shop tried to have their part in the worst welding and exhaust bending I’ve ever seen. I know your frustration.