Sponsored by:

Buying out the lease...painful

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Jonny5
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying out the lease...painful

If anyone wants to feel better about their lease or used car buy; I’m losing about $8k on my car buying it out. Infiniti called my bluff hard!

13 G37x Sedan built in 1/2014 - leased new from an FX (made $$$ on that deal).

Want nothing to do with the new lineup; and nothing really compares at $25k, even though the market says it’s only worth $16k still taking the plunge, going to long term this ride and maybe bury it.

Seems I’ll be in here more often!

just used this forum to fix a rattle on the windshield cowling...
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Errrr, why not buy a CPO at market rate? Or perhaps you enjoy donating money to global corporations?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 PM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Horrible Decision. If you want the G so much give this one back and pick up another one at market price.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:38 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
While it's a peace of mind to buy it out because you know the history of the vehicle but damn... that's a lot of money
Old 11-15-2017, 02:40 AM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I paid 21.5K when I bought my lease out, but that was 2012 when my 09 G37 Journey Sport with premium pkg was worth 25.5K. It made no sense for me to turn it in and buy CPO as they were selling for more. I only had 39K miles on it. At that time my rationale for buying out lease was that a fully loaded Honda Civic would cost me more. I agree with others you're paying too much because the car is not worth as much.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:57 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Sorry OP but this is one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while. Your willingly going to throw away 8k!?

There are plenty of other options out there and especially other G's as mentioned at market value. Not a smart investment
Old 11-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I'll pile on....horrible decision to pay that much for a 5 model year old car. It's far too common of a car to take that kind of hit on.

And this is coming from someone who bought out the lease in their '12 6mt.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Jonny5
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Sorry OP but this is one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while. Your willingly going to throw away 8k!?

There are plenty of other options out there and especially other G's as mentioned at market value. Not a smart investment
Nothing in my area (New England) that comes close to the G at $25k - factor in everything. AWD, 320+hp (non-turbo), big back seat (car seats, ugg), nav, etc etc - I still haven't sent the check yet, open to suggestions.

Now, buying another G, your right - but I had to put brakes on mine, new tires, and I know for a fact its solid and I know how I have driven it. I'll easily fork over a couple grand extra for that, my germs etc

If I give mine back and dont buy another new one I know they are going to find a way to hit me up for about $1k if not more (over mileage etc). Plus in that $8k I am factoring that I havent paid back IFS any property taxes for 3 years! Little trick by the way, and some idiot dealers will accidentally pay that off (they did it on my FX) when you "trade" it in.

Plus the prices on the new models (and the fact they are garbage) make me feel like I am ahead right now anyway. No way in hell I am going to give $55k+ for that Q60, whats the resale on that in 3 years? Uncomfortable and small.

I scored on a Pathfinder Platinum a few years ago; it was made without a sunroof for whatever reason and no one wanted it, so the way I see it I have two good cars that balance themselves out.

15 years ago I would be calling myself a idiot as well; but right now I just want a good car, sporty at times, comfortable etc, is worth the hit to me. $25k for a G, regardless of market conditions is a fair price for a good car.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:10 AM
Jonny5
Registered Member

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Errrr, why not buy a CPO at market rate? Or perhaps you enjoy donating money to global corporations?
Anyone who leases with IFS is paying a bit extra for an insurance package that will cover any loss post sale IFS/NMAC would incur, so the money is already accounted for one way or another.

Leasing is a game, sometimes you win, sometimes not - luckily I love the car so end of day, I feel better.

Going to bury this thing and never(?) buy another Infiniti again...Maybe in a few years I will get a used Viper and keep this as the best 3rd car ever
Old 11-15-2017, 09:35 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Is there a particular reason you say no turbos?

Taurus SHO would otherwise meet your criteria and be a step up in performance and features.

Otherwise, Acura TL, TLX
Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Jonny5
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Is there a particular reason you say no turbos?

Taurus SHO would otherwise meet your criteria and be a step up in performance and features.

Otherwise, Acura TL, TLX
That is the ONE car (SHO) I did find locally certified that I briefly considered, and yes its around $25k almost exactly. Couple guys in their 60's at my work that have Taurus's, one is a SHO, just couldn't been seen in that group yet.

But, in the end its a Ford, and I'll stick with the Infiniti for the same price.

My father has the newer TL SH AWD - hates it. Was too much (they still run $35k certified) and its missing a lot. To name some things its quick but the traction control really limits you at times and the transmission is garbage, plus its only at 300hp barely, probably more like 280 bhp tops. Then silly things like no power tilt steering, weird center console controls. Also the value on those around here is sinking too, everyone gets the TSX or RDX.

There was a Merc C350 AMG that I saw, but I did the merc thing years ago and I can't stand the service or maintenance.

Oh and on the turbo, eh, just no - something else that would need maintenance down the line - did it with my MazdaSpeed 3 tuner and CX-7; great turbo's but the concern is always there.

Last edited by Jonny5; 11-15-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Turbo
Old 11-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jonny5
That is the ONE car (SHO) I did find locally certified that I briefly considered, and yes its around $25k almost exactly. Couple guys in their 60's at my work that have Taurus's, one is a SHO, just couldn't been seen in that group yet.

But, in the end its a Ford, and I'll stick with the Infiniti for the same price.
My wife had an Explorer Sport (SUV version of the SHO) and it was trouble free. They seem to be relatively reliable unless you try and squeeze too much power out of them.

Who cares if a sample of guys who are in their 60s have SHOs

A $500 stage 1 tuned SHO would crush a G37 absent FI.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:31 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Turn it in, perhaps buy a beater if you don't have another car and then buy it back when it goes through auction.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:59 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonny5

There was a Merc C350 AMG that I saw, but I did the merc thing years ago and I can't stand the service or maintenance.
No such thing as a C350 AMG..
Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah I lost about 8k on my last car. I wanted out of a highly modified car and traded it for my G. At the time I didn't care. I just wanted a different car. I almost always buy used cars but still end up wasting too much money modding. Next car is going to be done by the factory. Just got to wait for the used market to have what I want~ 4 Series....