G37 Sedan

Buying out the lease...painful

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 04:23 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonny5
Nothing in my area (New England) that comes close to the G at $25k - factor in everything. AWD, 320+hp (non-turbo), big back seat (car seats, ugg), nav, etc etc - I still haven't sent the check yet, open to suggestions.

Now, buying another G, your right - but I had to put brakes on mine, new tires, and I know for a fact its solid and I know how I have driven it. I'll easily fork over a couple grand extra for that, my germs etc

If I give mine back and dont buy another new one I know they are going to find a way to hit me up for about $1k if not more (over mileage etc). Plus in that $8k I am factoring that I havent paid back IFS any property taxes for 3 years! Little trick by the way, and some idiot dealers will accidentally pay that off (they did it on my FX) when you "trade" it in.

Plus the prices on the new models (and the fact they are garbage) make me feel like I am ahead right now anyway. No way in hell I am going to give $55k+ for that Q60, whats the resale on that in 3 years? Uncomfortable and small.

I scored on a Pathfinder Platinum a few years ago; it was made without a sunroof for whatever reason and no one wanted it, so the way I see it I have two good cars that balance themselves out.

15 years ago I would be calling myself a idiot as well; but right now I just want a good car, sporty at times, comfortable etc, is worth the hit to me. $25k for a G, regardless of market conditions is a fair price for a good car.
Not really true they are more than a handful of G37X sedans "CPO" cars for under 25k and under 35k miles. If you looked for a Q40( G37) you'd find even more. I just sold my BMW 335XI and bought a Q50 CPO till 2021 unlimited miles. They had a G37X sedan( loaded) for Sale for 19k and under 30k miles) and CPO?

2013 INFINITI G37 Sedan at Herb Chambers INFINITI of Westborough - JN1CV6AR4DM358007

I hope you keep the lease car for the next 10 years you'll never get back the 8k you over paid. :/
Old 11-15-2017, 09:30 PM
CF4714
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Not really true they are more than a handful of G37X sedans "CPO" cars for under 25k and under 35k miles. If you looked for a Q40( G37) you'd find even more. I just sold my BMW 335XI and bought a Q50 CPO till 2021 unlimited miles. They had a G37X sedan( loaded) for Sale for 19k and under 30k miles) and CPO?

2013 INFINITI G37 Sedan at Herb Chambers INFINITI of Westborough - JN1CV6AR4DM358007

I hope you keep the lease car for the next 10 years you'll never get back the 8k you over paid. :/
I just paid 19K for a 2013 G37x CPO with 16K miles. They really seem to be selling well priced tbh
Old 11-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Gus_Mahn
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Some of the used car sites show VIN numbers. I wonder if you could let the car go and search the open market for your car’s VIN. There is some risk of loosing the car but it’s worth the risk to me for $8000. Maybe the dealer will keep your car and you won’t have to look too far. You’ll need a beater for a month or two.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
That's stripped down 2018 Civic territory. The 2013 G is bulletproof as well. It may be one of the best used car values out there today. The sport model seems to pull a bit of a premium based on my research, at least here in CA where the Sport is somewhat rare.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:44 AM
billygoat58

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New to the board and this thread jumped out at me. Had the same situation with a leased '13 G37X -- was a great lease as it was a rear-end loaded (high buyout / low payment) transaction in 2014. Fast forward to 09.30.17...turned in my car and started looking for a '14/'15 Q60 coupe. Couldn't really find what I wanted and had my old car in my hip pocket as a possibility if I didn't find a suitable Q...my G was flawless on turn in and was perfect. Did exactly what user Gus _Mahn suggested and started to VIN search my old car and it turned up 40 days after turn in (I'm in CLE and car was in Elmhurst IL). Called dealer and negotiated -- and not too hard because I wanted the car. Ended up buying my old car back for $6k ($19k) less then lease buyout, will pay it off in (full total months) 76 mos and incurred $600 total in finance costs. Car had 12 miles over my lease turn-in mileage, was fully detailed, oil changed and ready to roll. Very happy and basing it off MSRP, I bought my car for 18% below sticker on a 76 month payment plan...very happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by billygoat58:
future62 (11-19-2017), Gus_Mahn (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I never understood why they don't negotiate residual value for lease buyouts when the alternative is them selling or auctioning the car at wholesale value. Then again, I don't really understand leasing as a practice outside of certain tax-deductable situations.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Infiniti killed the resale value on these cars with the heavily discounted Q40, thus the residual values were inflated come lease termination.

Originally Posted by Victory
I never understood why they don't negotiate residual value for lease buyouts when the alternative is them selling or auctioning the car at wholesale value. Then again, I don't really understand leasing as a practice outside of certain tax-deductable situations.
Some people want a new car ever 3 years and/or don't want a car outside of warranty and/or don't mind always having a car payment. If you drive less than 12K a year, it can make sense under those conditions, although it's probably not the best financial decision. But neither is modding cars, expensive bourbon or prime grade steak
Old 11-18-2017, 10:54 AM
billygoat58

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Having worked for Xerox (98% of equipment is leased), provided me with an invaluable knowledge of leasing. Corporations have to adhere to their contracts and leasing is a bet...Infiniti is no different here. Plus, the reason there's no negotiation on the backend is so corporations can write down the transaction on their balance sheets...my car was sent to auction and wholesaled. Infiniti has a net loss (my RV$-Wh$=net loss). Corporate slate is clean and car begins a new 'life'. Funny thing is, the dealer that bought my car at wholesale made money and I purchased a car (a known quantity / perfect) at a fair price -- a win/win for both.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by billygoat58
Having worked for Xerox (98% of equipment is leased), provided me with an invaluable knowledge of leasing. Corporations have to adhere to their contracts and leasing is a bet...Infiniti is no different here. Plus, the reason there's no negotiation on the backend is so corporations can write down the transaction on their balance sheets...my car was sent to auction and wholesaled. Infiniti has a net loss (my RV$-Wh$=net loss). Corporate slate is clean and car begins a new 'life'. Funny thing is, the dealer that bought my car at wholesale made money and I purchased a car (a known quantity / perfect) at a fair price -- a win/win for both.
Great post. I didn't even think of this from an accounting perspective.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:41 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
This is a strange one. I detailed + did the brakes + suspension + tires AND wheels on my G for less than half of $8K. You could fly to another state, buy another G, replace the tires and brakes, and have the car fully detailed/sanitized and still probably only be out $2K. And the justifications for not buying other cars makes my teeth itch. You "made money" on this deal? How? Did the FX not depreciate in value?

For the love of all things Dave Ramsey, let Infiniti take the hit on the valuation miss and go buy another G. A G37x is not hard to find in the Northeast.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:42 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by billygoat58
New to the board and this thread jumped out at me. Had the same situation with a leased '13 G37X -- was a great lease as it was a rear-end loaded (high buyout / low payment) transaction in 2014. Fast forward to 09.30.17...turned in my car and started looking for a '14/'15 Q60 coupe. Couldn't really find what I wanted and had my old car in my hip pocket as a possibility if I didn't find a suitable Q...my G was flawless on turn in and was perfect. Did exactly what user Gus _Mahn suggested and started to VIN search my old car and it turned up 40 days after turn in (I'm in CLE and car was in Elmhurst IL). Called dealer and negotiated -- and not too hard because I wanted the car. Ended up buying my old car back for $6k ($19k) less then lease buyout, will pay it off in (full total months) 76 mos and incurred $600 total in finance costs. Car had 12 miles over my lease turn-in mileage, was fully detailed, oil changed and ready to roll. Very happy and basing it off MSRP, I bought my car for 18% below sticker on a 76 month payment plan...very happy.
Damn, now that's how you effing do it! Good stuff man.