Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Steering Wheel - Leather failing

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:07 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Steering Wheel - Leather failing

After owning my G37x for 2 months I decided to clean and condition the interior before winter. I always use a simple process with Lexol: Bucket of very warm clean water and rag, lightly scrub the area with the rag/warm water, spray cleaner onto area and work to a foam by hand, wipe with clean towel, allow to dry, apply conditioner with different towel and allow to sit.

When I purchased the car it was obvious the previous owner kept their hand at 1 o'clock position on the wheel as the grain was smoother in this area. I didn't think much of it other than forcing myself to keep my hand off this area (my normal driving position as well). When I cleaned the wheel the leather failed so now I need to repair (have a 3M leather repair kit) and eventually get a new wrap for the wheel. I see they aren't too expensive but wonder how the color matches the stone interior.

From what I've read this seems to be a common issue on these cars.

-Eric

Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 AM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I myself drive at the 12-1 mark and have the same issue. I try not to scrub the area or use force when cleaning. The leather is very soft on the wheel at 9 and 3 on mine. Re-wrap it would be the best option, the style and freshness of the leather will surely pop!
My other issues are grease spots on my headrest (dead center) and sideways grease line on my center counsel. I have yet to figure out a solution on that.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
One of the main reasons I got a custom leather cover for mine. Makes it thicker, not as cold in the winter, and if it wears out, just swap it. Not bad for 40 bucks.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:39 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hexotic
One of the main reasons I got a custom leather cover for mine. Makes it thicker, not as cold in the winter, and if it wears out, just swap it. Not bad for 40 bucks.
Which one did you get? Ant pics - there's a thread about the $22 wrap from Alibaba - similar?

-Eric
Old 10-16-2017, 11:03 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
G35 G37 G25 Sedan Q60 G Coupe Infiniti Steering Wheel NEW OEM Genuine 48430JK02C | eBay
Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by llebcire
Which one did you get? Ant pics - there's a thread about the $22 wrap from Alibaba - similar?

-Eric
I got mine at aliexpress, but it was like $44. Its real leather instead of the fake stuff they use in the $22 one, an I had it customized with grey leather to match my interior, and black suede for the grips. The link to the seller no longer works, wish I could be more helpful there, but yeah, even that cheaper one is nice compared to what we have without anything on the wheel.

My phone is across the room, and Im too lazy to get up to share a pic, so Ill share an instagram link instead haha.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
yep very common issues and I actually bought 2 covers from Aliexpress for around $18 a piece. Not bad for genuine leather and the look is great!

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 AM
CAD

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
How long did it take you guys to sew it on? Looks great!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by CAD
How long did it take you guys to sew it on? Looks great!
Under an hour. Positioning took more work than the actual stitching.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I got mine at aliexpress, but it was like $44. Its real leather instead of the fake stuff they use in the $22 one, an I had it customized with grey leather to match my interior, and black suede for the grips. The link to the seller no longer works, wish I could be more helpful there, but yeah, even that cheaper one is nice compared to what we have without anything on the wheel.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I recently fudged up on this and thought I'd share so people don't make the same mistake:

I bought a real leather cover from aliexpress about a year and a half ago for about $26CAD but screwed up and tore one of the pre-sewn threads when I was over half-way though stitching it. The problem with this is that its sewn with a single thread all the way around so I figured it would unravel and there was no point in finishing it. I dumped the project after being so annoyed by my mistake but eventually decided I'd unwrap it and order a new one. I used the same link to order a new cover thinking I was ordering the same thing.

Fast forward to about a month ago and I had the new wrap in hand and I was about to unwrap the old one and I realized I wasn't that far off from finishing the old one and the threads had actually held together very well so I figured I'd finish it and install it temporarily while I finish the new one which. I finished it and its really ugly with sloppy stitching and knots everywhere and some gaps if you look right at the stitching but it feels fantastic. fro mthe drivers seat the only thing i can see is one frayed thread where I madethe intial break that I'm worried about cuttign too short.

The wheel feels amazing though. its just a little thicker than stock with just a bit of give, its really the most tactile upgrade I've done in a long time and it feels like I'm driving a brand new 2017 model year car.

So I install the ugly but amazing felling wheel and started on the newer one and this time the stitching is nice an even. I only used one piece of thread for each section so it looks good all around and I'm almost completely done, but since I stared I noticed it didn't feel as nice as the one I just put on the car. I thought it was in my head and its probably the same, but held them side by side it just doesn't feel nearly as good and the new one doesn't have the slight give of the first wheel to the point that I don't want to switch the wheel because of how good the ugly one feels..... I just checked the link from my purchase and it says "artificial" leather! WTF.... I click on the listing for the "Real" leather one and it takes me to the link of the "artificial" leather...SOB....

So there you have it, I've never been able to tell the difference between artificial and real leather on anything before, but apparently there's a huge difference.

My conundrum now is that the new pretty wheel that I wrapped with the fake leather is wrapped on a factory red-stitching IPL wheel that is actually in very good shape so I don't want to sell it. what would you guys do? unwrap it? sell the wrapped IPL wheel? the cost of the covers isn't too bad looks like they are about $40.00CAD now for the real leather ones....I ordered a new one anyways...but what a pain...

TL/DR: read carefully and buy real leather!
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 06:45 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Sadly, the "real leather" on aliexpress is just the same type of spray on leather particle material you find in cheap couches. After a year, it got very vinyly, and the suede wore out waaaaay too fast. I moved onto RedlineGoods with some Italian leather. Couldn't be happier. Stitching took a lot longer as the real leather moves around a lot more and required contact cement.
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (09-13-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 07:47 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Sadly, the "real leather" on aliexpress is just the same type of spray on leather particle material you find in cheap couches. After a year, it got very vinyly, and the suede wore out waaaaay too fast. I moved onto RedlineGoods with some Italian leather. Couldn't be happier. Stitching took a lot longer as the real leather moves around a lot more and required contact cement.
nooooooooo...dammit, I've never even heard of spray on leather particles....well I guess I'll just be doing this again in a few months lol
Old 09-14-2018, 07:51 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Live and learn lol. The AliExpress one lasted a good amount of time, and it was still really good, but after putting my hands on the new one with the Italian leather..... There's an astronomical difference.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and insight!

Question - has anyone found a replacement that matches the stone/wheat interior? The wheat used for the wheel and dash looks like it would be difficult to match.

-Eric
Old 09-14-2018, 08:19 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by llebcire
Thanks for the replies and insight!

Question - has anyone found a replacement that matches the stone/wheat interior? The wheat used for the wheel and dash looks like it would be difficult to match.

-Eric
Redline goods charcoal leather is like 95% there.