2010 G37x Vibration at Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Brad Sims

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 G37x Vibration at Highway Speeds

I have a 2010 G37x with about 65,000 miles. It has stock 17" wheels and fairly good tires. Over the last few months, I have been experiencing a significant vibration at speeds over 40 mph. Since I can feel it in the steering wheel, I am assuming it is something in the front end. Also, I am almost positive it is something on the passenger side because when I turn to the left, I can hear and feel the vibration a lot more. Originally, I thought it was a wheel out of balance, so I took it to a tire shop and they informed me that my front passenger side rim was bent. I bought a new rim and had the same shop put it on for me, but unfortunately the problem persisted. I then thought it might be the tire, so I swapped the front and rear wheels, but the problem remained exactly the same.

It doesn't seem like it is a bad wheel bearing because I haven't heard any grinding and with it being such low mileage, I would be very surprised if a hub already needed replaced.

I have read through a lot of the threads about similar issues on here, but it seems that most of them ended up being related to tires, but (assuming the tire shop knew what the were doing) my case seems to be something else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:58 AM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad Sims
I have a 2010 G37x with about 65,000 miles. It has stock 17" wheels and fairly good tires. Over the last few months, I have been experiencing a significant vibration at speeds over 40 mph. Since I can feel it in the steering wheel, I am assuming it is something in the front end. Also, I am almost positive it is something on the passenger side because when I turn to the left, I can hear and feel the vibration a lot more. Originally, I thought it was a wheel out of balance, so I took it to a tire shop and they informed me that my front passenger side rim was bent. I bought a new rim and had the same shop put it on for me, but unfortunately the problem persisted. I then thought it might be the tire, so I swapped the front and rear wheels, but the problem remained exactly the same.

It doesn't seem like it is a bad wheel bearing because I haven't heard any grinding and with it being such low mileage, I would be very surprised if a hub already needed replaced.

I have read through a lot of the threads about similar issues on here, but it seems that most of them ended up being related to tires, but (assuming the tire shop knew what the were doing) my case seems to be something else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Do you only feel it on the steering wheel?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Brad Sims

Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
Do you only feel it on the steering wheel?
I can feel it in the steering wheel, gas/brake pedals, and floorboard. It is also pretty loud when I am at interstate speeds
Old 08-18-2017, 11:17 AM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

I can feel it in the steering wheel, gas/brake pedals, and floorboard. It is also pretty loud when I am at interstate speeds
Have you checked your rotors? Slight chance, but when i had my steering wheel shaking at highway speeds, pedals shaking(usually when braking), the cause was a wrapped rotors, problem was fixed after resurfacing them. Hope you find whatever it is that's causing those issues if that's not the answer.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Brad Sims

Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
Have you checked your rotors? Slight chance, but when i had my steering wheel shaking at highway speeds, pedals shaking(usually when braking), the cause was a wrapped rotors, problem was fixed after resurfacing them. Hope you find whatever it is that's causing those issues if that's not the answer.
I recently had the rotors resurfaced, but I am going to check and make sure they were reinstalled correctly.

Do you think there is any chance I have a bent axel or something like that?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-18-2017, 12:26 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I recently had the rotors resurfaced, but I am going to check and make sure they were reinstalled correctly.

Do you think there is any chance I have a bent axel or something like that?

Thanks for the help!
While you're there make sure none of the calipers are sticking/dragging.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Brad Sims

Originally Posted by NealP
While you're there make sure none of the calipers are sticking/dragging.
Will do! Thanks again
Old 08-21-2017, 02:57 AM
Rusty.
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem. Steering wheel will vibrate left to right at highway speeds, around 120kph.

Do you find your shaking is persistent ? For me it sometimes won't do it at 120 and sometimes it will moderately to violently. Weirdest thing I've ever come across. Also just got stoptech rotors and HPS pads and no help.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 AM
smitty37g

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed you said its worse with left turns... Does it seem better with right turns?? Maybe the wheel bearing or poss axle..
Old 08-31-2017, 06:32 PM
Brad Sims

I found the solution to the problem! It ended up being a wheel bearing. I took it into the Infiniti dealer to get the wheels balanced (which didn't fix the problem, obviously) and had them look into what else may be causing the vibration. They said it was definitely a wheel bearing and quoted me around $620 to get the hub assembly replaced. Originally, I had planned on replacing it myself, but I decided against it since I really didn't really have the time and I needed it fixed by this weekend. I ended up taking it into a shop near my house and they replaced the hub for around $440.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I found the solution to the problem! It ended up being a wheel bearing. I took it into the Infiniti dealer to get the wheels balanced (which didn't fix the problem, obviously) and had them look into what else may be causing the vibration. They said it was definitely a wheel bearing and quoted me around $620 to get the hub assembly replaced. Originally, I had planned on replacing it myself, but I decided against it since I really didn't really have the time and I needed it fixed by this weekend. I ended up taking it into a shop near my house and they replaced the hub for around $440.
How did they know it was a wheel bearing and which one was the issue? Either way, glad you were able to get it resolved.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:11 PM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Easy way to check for bad wheel bearings.... Jack the car up and get the tire up off the ground. When the tire is in the air, put your hands on top of the tire on the tread directly in line between the hub and the top of the wheel well. Now push and pull the tire inward and outward. The wheel should not move at all. If there is any play back and forth, even a couple of mm or so, that indicates that the bearing is worn out.
The following users liked this post:
NealP (09-13-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Happy to hear you were able to get that fix.. Drives me crazy when something is wrong and i can't find out what it is!
Old 09-01-2017, 12:43 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, mileage definitely isn't insanely low for bearings to go on this cars. My 2012 X had the front right one go at 74km or ~50k miles.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:11 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Same issue here. I replaced mine at 25k miles and now my gf needs replacement around 54k miles. Sucks but defintely a common issue