Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.
View Poll Results: Stay with current, switch to FI RHFC's
Berk HFC's
0%
FI RHFC
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Need Help with HFC Choice

Old 07-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Gshadow37X
Premier Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Need Help with HFC Choice

So I find myself needing advice. A year ago I purchased on a group buy some Berk HFC's but never installed them. Now that I am ready to pull the trigger on the install, I see that the new popular choice is FI RHFC's because of the rasp issue. I have a 2010 G37x with a Top Speed Pro1 cat back. I also have the front y pipe from Top Speed uninstalled as yet. I do not want to spend the money on the install if I am going to be underwhelmed by the new exhaust note. Any and all advice is welcome...

Tony
Old 07-23-2017, 11:13 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
TBH, I'd keep the OEM Y-pipe with whatever HFCs you decide. I installed RTPs and they sound great w/ my Top Speed Y-back, but I then went to a larger Y-pipe (that caused an abrupt pipe ID transition) and introduced rasp. I went back to my OEM Y pipe and all is good. Although my OEM Y pipe is shredded all to hell

If you can recoup most of your cost for the Berks the RHFCs would eliminate any chance of rasp with your OEM Y, but you'll also have to wait a couple months (or more) to get them to your door. Also the FIs don't have that mounting tab that the Berks do, so there is that.

FWIW my RTPs don't have that tab and they're holding up well.

Also the FIs have the best O2 port that won't throw CELs, I have the same port on mine and no CELs for 25k now.
The following users liked this post:
Gshadow37X (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:21 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
From my own personal experience, I had installed a set of Berks HFC's on my '08 Coupe (with full IPL catback exhaust and R2C intakes) and while the exhaust note was more profound, the rasp totally ruined the benefit. Every gear change (5AT) under medium to full throttle and the sound became very embarrassing and "ricey."

Four months later I bought and installed a set of the FI RHFC's and am very satisfied with the result. While they are not as "loud" as the Berks, the sound from the FI is a more profound, deeper, and comes alive when you actually drive the car. No rasp whatsoever.

If I had to do it all over again I would have went Fast Intentions and skipped the Berks. I took a gamble and they were not for me. Now they just take up space on my work bench.

Hopefully others will share better opinions especially since you are also running other aftermarket exhaust components.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:26 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Could probably get a couple hundo for those, better than collecting dust ^^^^
Old 07-23-2017, 11:53 AM
G37_4DR

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
OP, FWIW, I just placed an order directly with FI for a set of RHFCs on 7/6/17 and the invoice says estimated shipping date is 9/29/17, though it's noted that is a worst-case scenario and they hope to ship them out within 7-9 weeks of my order date.

I have a 2011 G37 Sedan with an Invidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust, HPE post-MAF intake tubes, and aFe Pro 5R drop-in filters. A high-flow cat seemed like the next best bang for the buck in terms of engine performance. I had done a lot of research myself and based on what I read, everyone has been happy with their FI RHFCs. I called FI and spoke to Kevin Verdina, Head of Sales and Marketing. He answered all my questions - which included everything from gaskets (they include header to cat gaskets and cat to exhaust pipe gaskets) to the lack of the mounting bracket that the OEM cats and Berks and others retain. I felt really confident in FI and decided to give them my business - all $706 of it including shipping LOL. Ouch that hurts...

As they say: "buy once, cry once." The good stuff costs money. I've found that to be true with guns and car parts - my two money pits.
The following users liked this post:
Gshadow37X (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Gshadow37X
Premier Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Brad, I am getting enough good feedback without the poll. Since you are an Admin, could you take the poll down for me please?
Old 07-23-2017, 12:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Tried to delete poll but I guess i don't have that option, just closed it.
G/L with whatever path you choose, can't deny the quality of all FI products, that's one thing for sure!

Search this Thread