I need to increase the height of my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:18 PM
atlg37ss
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to increase the height of my car

Like the title says, I have a 2010 BLK G37s sedan MT and I recently bought a new house with steep hill. Currently it's difficult to up to the garage without scrapping the tip of my topspeed exhaust unless I am going side way. I am riding on stock springs with 350z 18" wheels. So my question is, if I upgrade to 20" with a little thicker tires. Will my car ride height increased? I thought aobut using curb ramp but it's not allowed by the new HOA. I really don't want to get rid of my car if I don't have to.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:25 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Well if you do that your speedo will be off.

I raised my car's rear with spring sleeves after lowering it to even it out. You should be able to do the same thing on your stocks suspension.
Amazon Amazon
It did like a quarter inch raise.

OR I think the X suspension is actually higher, so you could get the X springs.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Any room for adjustment of the exhaust? Moving the rear section up slightly and the exhaust tips in might give you just enough clearance. Or possibly switching to smaller tips.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:23 AM
atlg37ss
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was actually thinking to switch back to stock tips
Old 07-21-2017, 06:26 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Can you take a photo (right before contact) of your car in the garage entrance and post it?

There may be other options like placing something on the ground for your rear wheels to roll up on as you drive into your garage.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by atlg37ss
I was actually thinking to switch back to stock tips
There are surely some quality oval tips out there that would be better than stock. The stock tips are crap.

Originally Posted by atlg37ss
unless I am going side way.
Then go sideways. I've been doing that for years since the car was lowered. It's the only way I can get into the driveway. If that actually works for you, then my advice is to get used to it. After a while, it will seem totally normal, and all you'll have to deal with are the funny looks people give you as they're walking the dog, stop and stare.

Without seeing your situation to know exactly, one thing I did was fill in the crack between the road and the driveway with some coldpatch. It doesn't seem like much, but was enough to keep the car maybe a 1/2" higher when hitting the rise, and made all the difference. You can see what I'm talking about here in this video.

However, I still have to do this crazy sideways dance to get in or out.

I feel for you, OP. I've a friend with a driveway that I went up once, and never, ever again.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-21-2017 at 07:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (07-24-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:46 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Gotta admit Rochester, that "3 wheel motion" is pretty cool as you enter and exit.

As for the OP, I would say the careful sideways entry is best. You sound like my son who barrels in and out of places in his car. That is a quick destruction of tie rods and various bushings.

Take your time and sometimes reversing in at the angle is even better. I have a friend with an 09 370Z with aftermarket exhaust and a ridiculous driveway entrance. I showed him how to "crab walk" (as he calls it) it in the driveway in reverse and no more scraping.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
lol at rochester's video. too good. your neighbours must get a chuckle, by the looks of it i'm not sure that street is used to too many modified vehicles. hey, every block needs an OCD car guy. i'm actually 1 of 3 on my block.

i too get the rear-wheel lift often while travelling over weird road transitions, luckily not onto my property. those aftermarket sways just don't give like the stockers.

OP - unless you can adjust the gradient or the sag & crest geometrics of your driveway, you really only have 2 options: angled approaches/departures, or a 'lift kit' like you are asking about. go online to https://tiresize.com/calculator/ to see what difference the wheel/tire you are considering makes. but keep in mind that you generally want to stay within ~3% of the OE size for speedo readings and to maintain final drive and fuel economy. the suggestions of X suspension may be an option - the X's do seem to have more ground clearance.

i also 'lifted' my S back to OE springs after a few years on Eibach pro-kit. the traffic calming bumps in Vancity, combined with our wheelbase and modest lowering springs, just would not allow for anyone other than myself in the car without wretched scraping.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
there's always this option:
Attached Thumbnails I need to increase the height of my car-jacked-g.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh god no, do not donk this thread!
Old 07-21-2017, 01:46 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Get air bags problem solved
Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
Get air bags problem solved
Can a bagged suspension raise a car equal-to or higher than OEM height? If so, that's a brilliant solution.

I've a buddy with a Tesla, and whenever he comes over, the car uses the geo-coordinate of my house to raise up all on its own, then lower back down when he leaves. It's a little eerie.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:03 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Can a bagged suspension raise a car equal-to or higher than OEM height? If so, that's a brilliant solution.

I've a buddy with a Tesla, and whenever he comes over, the car uses the geo-coordinate of my house to raise up all on its own, then lower back down when he leaves. It's a little eerie.
Yea, it can. Ive seen bagged cars that look like they are jacked up when fully inflated.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:58 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Yeah as mentioned bags can increase the ride height as well as slam your car. My friends has bags and when it isn't aired out , it sits higher than oem which makes it look funny ahaha
Old 07-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Yeah mine go waaaay higher than oem height, i use that preset when i go up my driveway