G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,570 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Obviously I'm always thinking about this, sometimes in the back of my head, and sometimes actively test-driving cars. I also have a list, in no particular order, and at least two years old... because I'm not cool with spending $50k+ on a car anytime soon. Or twice that, in the case of the Jag.

Jaguar F-Type Coupe S 6MT
Mustang Bullit, in Highland Green
Alpha Romeo Stelvio Sport
Lincoln MKZ Reserve II, AWD 3.0TT

I realize this is a somewhat eclectic list, and seems strange to see them as equal options. But they each speak to me for different, yet equally compelling, reasons.

I need to get off my butt and drive the MKZ.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Obviously I'm always thinking about this, sometimes in the back of my head, and sometimes actively test-driving cars. I also have a list, in no particular order, and at least two years old... because I'm not cool with spending $50k+ on a car anytime soon. Or twice that, in the case of the Jag.

Jaguar F-Type Coupe S 6MT
Mustang Bullit, in Highland Green
Alpha Romeo Stelvio Sport
Lincoln MKZ Reserve II, AWD 3.0TT

I realize this is a somewhat eclectic list, and seems strange to see them as equal options. But they each speak to me for different, yet equally compelling, reasons.

I need to get off my butt and drive the MKZ.

I feel like Ford really got it right with the latest Mustang Bullit...that ones definitely on my list
Old 11-15-2018, 09:21 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Car and Driver mentions the laziness of the 6AT. If it's anything like the G's 7AT, coming from a manual, it's going to drive you insane.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Car and Driver mentions the laziness of the 6AT. If it's anything like the G's 7AT, coming from a manual, it's going to drive you insane.
On the Lincoln? Maybe so. But that's a vastly more casual, old-man car anyway (with 400hp), so fast shifts don't really factor.

The Alfa transmission was whacked in my test-drive. But I didn't care... loved the car anyway. I think that "love it anyway" attitude describes most every Alfa Romeo owner, irrespective of mechanical failure, LOL. I suspect it's an Italian thing.

The Jag and Stang transmissions would be manual, if either occurred.

Originally Posted by Hashim
I feel like Ford really got it right with the latest Mustang Bullit...that ones definitely on my list
​​​​​​​
Old 11-16-2018, 11:13 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLocNar
355mm fronts aren't huge, but they aren't tiny either. Source out some race pads and you should be good to go. The BBK on the Performance 3 are Brembo, so that shouldn't be a problem.
So they run 14" up front? How big are the rear rotors and are the calipers fixed 4pot/2pot? It looks like the front is at least a fixed caliper, but I cannot tell if it is 6 piston or 4 piston. 14" seems small on our cars and I bet I have mine down into the 3,600lb range. The Model 3 weighs almost 4,100 lbs. At least the front brakes look promising.

I was just reading that they also have issue with heat soak after a few laps. So obviously a few things to work through, but it does show potential.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:37 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So they run 14" up front? How big are the rear rotors and are the calipers fixed 4pot/2pot? It looks like the front is at least a fixed caliper, but I cannot tell if it is 6 piston or 4 piston. 14" seems small on our cars and I bet I have mine down into the 3,600lb range. The Model 3 weighs almost 4,100 lbs. At least the front brakes look promising.

I was just reading that they also have issue with heat soak after a few laps. So obviously a few things to work through, but it does show potential.
The rears I think are 320mm. Front are 4pot rear are 2pot from what I remember.

At least with daily driving, you don't use the brakes all that much due to the regenerative braking. Track is a whole different thing though. At minimum I'd go with some racing pads. As far as the battery overheating, the new track mode really helps with this. One cool down lap and you're ready to go for a few more. It'll keep improving too, due to over-the-air software updates as things get tweaked further.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TheLocNar
The rears I think are 320mm. Front are 4pot rear are 2pot from what I remember.

At least with daily driving, you don't use the brakes all that much due to the regenerative braking. Track is a whole different thing though. At minimum I'd go with some racing pads. As far as the battery overheating, the new track mode really helps with this. One cool down lap and you're ready to go for a few more. It'll keep improving too, due to over-the-air software updates as things get tweaked further.
Well, they are on the right track (no pun intended) to beef up the car for serious track duty. It will need to be able to withstand 25-30 minutes of continued abuse- the battery heat and the range. Then you would need to be able to charge it up for the next session quickly. I'm sure that we will eventually be able to do this with an electric car, but it might be a while.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:22 PM
FoundTheG

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably the Q50... or I get rid of the Mustang and just buy one car like a Tesla S or something quick and fun but usable all seasons.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:10 PM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Lexus has put some performance into some of their cars, and in terms of reliability, there's nothing better than Lexus. Also very quiet cars. But for me they have 2 drawbacks:

1. PRICE
2. THAT HIDEOUS GRILLE

Now I must say I haven't driven one of the new performance oriented Lexus cars yet, so I don't know how engaging (or not) they are for the driver.

Audi and BMW also make some very nice / fast cars, but their lack of reliability coupled with high prices takes them off the list for me. TOP LEVEL reliability is a requirement for me. At the kind of prices manufacturers are charging for these cars, they are cheating their customers if they aren't offering world-class reliability in addition to the performance and sleek design. A car that is in a repair shop is not going very fast....

Consumer Reports 2013 G37 reliability comparison
Old 11-24-2018, 08:36 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
2018 consumer reports has Audi and BMW highly ranked (top 6 for both).
Old 11-24-2018, 08:36 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Randy Probst, yeah he's alright. I guess if you are running on a track perhaps you want some Pilot Sport Cup 2s. I would have liked to see what it could do with some 4s. I keep jumping between cars I like. My car only has 184k on it, so I figure I have another 66k before I might consider it. I will probably go with the Model 3 if you only get the rear motor I think they are as light as 3600. Dual motor is at least 3800. I am sure a few things can be done to lower the weight.

I was having some fun Thursday night driving from LA with a Jag F-Type. He must have not given it much of the beans being I was able to get ahead of him. I have a bunch of cars I really like.

2010-2011 Jaguar XKR 550 hp Supercharged V8 Sublime Bowers & Wilkins Sound System, around 21k. Basically an Aston Martin with lower price and insurance costs
2015 Lexus IS350 F Sport 310hp Dual Injected ML sound system, Pretty Awesome interior, around 18k Reliable, about as quick as a G37

2013 Audi A6 Supercharged V6 Supposedly fairly reliable, 8speed Auto. Quattro 3k around 15-18k will probably get you near 450 hp. The 2013 is almost like a new one with all its features. Don't believe me? Might be suicide to get one with this many miles. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8528/overview/

2015 BMW 328i, I found a nice one in Florida for around 14k but it sold. Quick car, lots of tech, Nice looking I am sure I could prob get 30mpg all day.
Problems the newer they get the more they plan on it lasting less and less. Can't imagine one making 220k like my old 5.

2017 Q50s or regular. Pretty nice interior, nice updated features from G37, around 2k will get you 400-500 hp. This one feels like a salvage, but haven't checked https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0992/overview/

2015 Corvette Stingray 450hp or so, easily brought to 500 hp. 35k max 12 sec quarter mile.

2018 Mustang V8 probably with the Auto and the Lebanon Ford Package. 45k and fast as hell If I won the lottery I would probably do something crazy like this.

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid, a totally different animal, but I am impressed with what they have done 50mpg and probably 7sec 0-60 22k Used

I am usually pretty easy on my G, sometimes I open her up a bit, not to much from a standing start. One of the problems for me is it isn't scary fast and it doesn't have great econ either it is a bit in the middle. Perhaps if I did more to her. I with it had some of the features that my Bmw had like the door unlocking if I just pulled the handle. It is great if you don't want someone to leave, but I would prefer to be able to just pull the door handle and get out. I also don't like that it won't run in Recirc without the a/c on. I used to use the A/C and when it got cold enough, turn it off and let recirc handle it for a couple mins. I wish I had the folding mirrors and signal in the mirrors like the Q50. The Q50 looks pretty bad esp w/o the base wheels.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:50 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I was thinking yesterday that I really like my G and I plan to try to hold onto it for a while until something that is drastically better comes out. I think a 2015+ BMW M3 or Cadillac ATS-V fit the bill the best as far as next level performance, especially considering you can get both over 600 hp with basically just a tune?!? It boils down to a dark blue or bright red (special order colors) M3 with adaptive suspension, carbon roof, Harman Kardon stereo, fold down rear seats, back up camera, and a 6 spd. manual or a bright red ATS-V with the Performance Data Recorder, Recaro Seats, suede steering wheel & shift ****, fold down rear seats, and 6spd. manual. I think if I found either vehicle with low miles and reasonably priced I would probably pull the trigger as they are super rare. (Harder to find than even a 6spd. white/black G37- took me 6 months of searching) I like the exterior and interior styling of the M3 better, but the ATS-V would probably be a better track car. If I were smart I would just get the M3 as I have to look at it every day and they are more readily available. It will probably just come down to availability as both cars are a needle in a hay stack.

The other side of the coin is waiting to see what comes out in the future. There are good rumors about the new STI, Nissan Z, and Golf R. The million dollar question is which car will be great and which will be an also ran.

The STI needs huge updates as it has been running the exact same engine and transmission for the last 14 years. There are rumors of hybrid power. It has had terrible mileage since day one so an increase in mpg and a big upgrade in power would get my attention. This could be one of the last AWD manual sports cars if they decide to keep the 6spd. I hope it is not as ugly as the concept below. This concept has lots of hard straight lines like a current Lamborghini. Over time these types of designs never seem to age well. The cars that age well seem to have rounded styling- see any 1960's sports car or E46 BMW M3.

Remember when Subaru brought out this great 4dr. coupe concept (below) for the WRX and then instead brought out a car that looked like a Toyota Corolla and was plastic fantastic on the inside? Hopefully, they go the opposite direction of their current STI concept (above) and make it attractive.

The Nissan Z seems even longer in the tooth than the STI as it has been the same since 2009 (at least the STI got a new body in 2015). Lots of rumors about this car ranging from the 400 hp 3.0L twin turbo engine from the Infiniti to a 500 hp hybrid to an suv. I thought for sure they would have a new Z for 2019 for the 50th anniversary of the Z or at least a 2020 model for the 50th anniversary in the U.S, but now I see rumors that this is not the case. Now that the CEO, Carlos Ghosn, got arrested, who knows what will happen?

I have heard lots of rumors about a new person in charge of VW performance who very much wants to make a more serious and focused version of the Golf R. Hopefully, this pans out.

The following users liked this post:
Boomer-Bob (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:12 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

I am thinking of waiting til at least 2021 and then Buying a Cadillac CT6
Old 11-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ezbme
I am thinking of waiting til at least 2021 and then Buying a Cadillac CT6
It will be a used CT6, then. Caddy just announced it's stopping production.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:55 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

I was just kidding, those things are too big. Now if it was the size of a ATS or CTS perhaps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?