G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:07 PM
SheLLz
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Since buying my G in 2014, I've driven it all around Richmond, Virginia, and Denver, Colorado for 2yrs each with no license plate. Never been pulled for it. I like to see how many other vehicles are on the road without a front plate while I'm driving sometimes and I'm never the only one. It's to the point now that even if I did get pulled I would probably just pay the $90 or whatever and keep it moving...with no intention to ever adding it again unless it's regularly enforced.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
^same here, 5+ yrs strong without a peep (including three traffic stops).

Hope the front plate boyscouts make sure their mods conform to state regs, too
Old 09-27-2018, 05:30 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Same, i've been driving around a bright yellow S2000 with no front plate and no issues
Old 09-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been driving in California without a front plate for about 48+ years now. Many years ago, I was pulled over for 100++ on the 14 fwy, with a friend in the car that had predicted it. LOL :-[ I asked the CHP officer if the speeder had been spotted driving in from LA and if so, if a front plated had been seen. He said yes. I replied it must be a mistake in identity as I do not have a front plate. He went to the front of the car and without a word sighted me for only "no front plate". The second time I was driving my 90+ year old mother-in-law and her sister. I parked in an ADA parking space and forgot to put their ADA tag on my rear view mirror. I was sighted for both parking and no front plate. I drove directly in to the city with my mother-in-law and the blue tag. They dropped the ADA fine of ~$400. But, not the front plate citation. To avoid that fine, I had to put a plate on the front of the car and have it signed off.
I'm thinking only some states require a front plate nowadays?
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
I'm thinking only some states require a front plate nowadays?
Originally Posted by Rochester
It's a law in 31 states.
Clearly these cars aren't designed for the 31 states that require front tags.
It's still 31 states. Three times a charm.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:51 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
It's still 31 states. Three times a charm.

I meant to point out that "Only some states *require* front plates". I understand it's law in California etc. However, it's not often enforced. It seems that is true in many states.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:49 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
^^ In MA you fail State inspection with out a front plate :/
Old 09-28-2018, 08:56 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
If I'm still living in NY at the time, and an Alfa is in my future... it is what it is. NY requires front tags.

Same her in WI. Sometimes you have to chance it and hope that a car that attractive allows the police to forget there is no plate up front. I had an E46 M3 and 370Z both without front plates for 2+ years and never got pulled over- I think because they were not overly flashy. My rally blue Impreza 2.5RS with WRC body kit looked amazing, but caught a lot of attention. I had the front plate off of the car for 10 minutes and got pulled over.

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I think you place it here:

But really, these things are absolutely insane. I like 'em more than the Macan turbo, but that reliability is definitely a concern.

Well that sucks. I was obsessing about this car just last week and now I'm kind of disappointed. For my next daily driver, I just want something that's quicker than the G, AWD, DCT, and at least semi-reliable. The cars that fit these requirements have their own faults, which I guess is to be expected, but it'd be nice if I could find the perfect package.
Haha! That's hilarious. I love the Seinfeld reference.

Lego is right- don't let the Lightning Lap dissuade you from getting an RS3 if you are not tracking the car. The Lightning lap is just for track junkies like me. The RS3 would still outright murder most cars in a straight line or curvy road. It is only under the extreme conditions of a track that its faults begin to show.

Rochester is right too- cars have become so fast recently. I usually run in the fastest run group at track days (just because I have been racing for a long time and know my way around a track) and now if you go in that group with less than 500 hp (sometimes even 700 hp), you just get smoked by everyone on the straights. Last time I was out at a track day I caught a handful of Corvettes, M3's, and Shelby Mustangs, but really only because they had no idea how to properly take a corner. The G is still a riot to drive, it's just that everything else has become so much faster.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The G is still a riot to drive, it's just that everything else has become so much faster.
Your G is a riot to drive. Get into an unmodified G, and not so much.

IMO, speed is only a problem for the track. But daily driving is personal (unless you're some kind of aggressive road racer). And for daily driving, the perception of performance and speed is the only thing that matters. My recent experience with the Mecan S was eye-opening, because it should perform similar to our Gs, and does so on paper, yet it felt slow and boring.

You track against other cars, so being genuinely fast is more important. I get that.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:56 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, if you run around with copious amounts of drugs on you like Rochester, then you don't want to take any chances.

But really, let's get back on topic. This guy (VW Arteon):

Man do I like the way it looks. I wish they were coming out with an actual R line rather than just an R line appearance package. Looks a bit like a smaller A7 to me..
Old 09-28-2018, 10:14 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
My recent experience with the Mecan S was eye-opening, because it should perform similar to our Gs, and does so on paper, yet it felt slow and boring.
jsut a thought, but I wonder if your gears have spoiled you for other cars...have you driven anything else thats supposed to be fast on paper recently?...the more aggressive gearing in my G35 made me feel that way about the G37 7AT...my friend who's g37 I would drive complained about it too and complains about it with the Q50 3.0S he got to replace it too...I have no power mods unless you count K/N drop ins and HPS silicone tubes and big fat heavy tires
Old 09-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
jsut a thought, but I wonder if your gears have spoiled you for other cars...have you driven anything else thats supposed to be fast on paper recently?
That's possible.

I just got home a few minutes ago after test-driving the Alfa Romeo Stelvio. Taking some time to process the event.

Freaking gorgeous day for a drive, so I took the G and checked out our Alfa dealership.

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Well, if you run around with copious amounts of drugs on you like Rochester, then you don't want to take any chances.
Hey! WTF, man? I take offense at the word copious.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
Boomer-Bob (09-28-2018), obsidiansamurai (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Alfa Romeo Stelvio

For context in the mid-sized SUV market, last year we selected a 2018 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring Edition, replacing our 2008 Honda CR-V EX, and I love that Subby. We chose it over the Ford Escape 2.0t, the Toyota Rav4, the Mazda CX5, the Hyundai Tuscon, the Nissan Rouge and the Honda CR-V. Obviously, those are all family cars, and pretty common, bread & butter rides. Anyway, we chose the Subaru, and never looked back. Not the most fancy, not the best performance, not the roomiest… but there’s something wonderfully non-quantifiable about the car that makes it appealing, and we love it.

Because of that car, it opened my eyes to the possibility of my own “Next Car” would be a mid-sized SUV. And that led me to look at the Porsche Mecan, because… well, because Porsche. However, after letting that idea roll around in my head for a long time, I finally test-drove one last week, and my disappointment with the Porsche Mecan S was pretty strong. The driving experience was mushy, the throttle response was non-existent, the price was insane, and the better-than-thou dealership sucked. This was the exact opposite of my expectations.

And then there’s the Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

Because of the Porsche experience, I went into Alfa without expecting much of anything. The salesman was fantastic and totally relatable. The brand is part of the same dealership where I’ve been taking my G37 (when it goes to the dealership), and I like them a lot. Alfa is sharing a small showroom with Maserati. Also, the price is very, very reasonable (unlike the Maserati, LOL).

Then there’s the car itself. The dimensions, the trim, the details… it knocks it out of the park (for me). The interior is fantastic, and unlike my original misperception, comes in a handful of colors, not just black. Their chocolate-brown is gorgeous… beautiful leather, black plastics, brushed aluminum accents. You can order this without a sunroof (YAY!) Perfect, and upscale, without being too busy.

You don’t have to get the monstrous Quad in order to get the big brakes. It’s an AWD car with RWD bias and an independent rear suspension. The steering wheel is also perfect, with a very connected driving experience (not drive by wire). Brakes, however, are brake-by-wire, and way too grabby. Derp.

It has an 8-speed transmission, with 3 user settings on its response. Huge, column-mounted paddle shifters that feel great to your fingertips. Comfortable seating with enough side-bolster to offset the weak thigh bolster. Great visibility, *except* out the rear, which is horrible, just like the Mecan.

The engine is an in-line 2.0 liter Turbo 4-cyl, with 280 HP and over 300 in torque. It’s slower (on paper) than the Mecan S, but certainly doesn’t feel like it, maybe because it weighs 400 pounds less. Simply put, it’s much, MUCH more rewarding to drive this car than the Porsche. It handled really well (AS run-flats notwithstanding), and was extremely lively on the launch. The throttle wasn't dead like the Porsche, and even the exhaust note was pleasant. Big 2.5" pipe, split at the single muffler.

4 year, 50k mile warranty. From what I've read, it needs warranty.

Anyway, I love this car. It's at the top of my list now.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-29-2018 at 11:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
Baadnewsburr (09-28-2018), obsidiansamurai (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
great take on the Alfa. My buddy cross shopped the Stelvio with the new XC60 and went with Volvo...that beign said he's always dreamed of buying a volvo (weirdo) but I was really impressed with the interior especially since the last gen models. I thinks its been suggested but would love to get your take on it if you have any affinity for volvos and have a chance to take one out..
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
For context in the mid-sized SUV market, last year we selected a 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring Edition, replacing our 2008 Honda CR-V EX, and I love that Subby. We chose it over the Ford Escape 2.0t, the Toyota Rav4, the Mazda CX5, the Hyundai Tuscon, the Nissan Rouge and the Honda CR-V. Obviously, those are all family cars, and pretty common, bread & butter rides. Anyway, we chose the Subaru, and never looked back. Not the most fancy, not the best performance, not the roomiest… but there’s something wonderfully non-quantifiable about the car that makes it appealing, and we love it.

Because of that car, it opened my eyes to the possibility of my own “Next Car” would be a mid-sized SUV. And that led me to look at the Porsche Mecan, because… well, because Porsche. However, after letting that idea roll around in my head for a long time, I finally test-drove one last week, and my disappointment with the Porsche Mecan S was pretty strong. The driving experience was mushy, the throttle response was non-existent, the price was insane, and the better-than-thou dealership sucked. This was the exact opposite of my expectations.

And then there’s the Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

Because of the Porsche experience, I went into Alfa without expecting much of anything. The salesman was fantastic and totally relatable. The brand is part of the same dealership where I’ve been taking my G37 (when it goes to the dealership), and I like them a lot. Alfa is on once side, sharing a building with Maserati. Also, the price is very, very reasonable (unlike the Maserati, LOL).

Then there’s the car itself. The dimensions, the trim, the details… it knocks it out of the park (for me). The interior is fantastic, and unlike my original misperception, comes in a handful of colors, not just black. Their chocolate-brown is gorgeous… beautiful leather, black plastics, brushed aluminum accents. You can order this without a sunroof (YAY!) Perfect, and upscale, without being too busy.

You don’t have to get the monstrous Quad in order to get the big brakes. It’s an AWD car with RWD bias and an independent rear suspension. The steering wheel is also perfect, with a very connected driving experience (not drive by wire). Brakes, however, are brake-by-wire, and way too grabby. Derp.

It has an 8-speed transmission, with 3 user settings on its response. Huge, column-mounted paddle shifters that feel great to your fingertips. Comfortable seating with enough side-bolster to offset the weak thigh bolster. Great visibility, *except* out the rear, which is horrible, just like the Mecan.

The engine is an in-line 2.0 liter Turbo 4-cyl, with 280 HP and over 300 in torque. It’s slower (on paper) than the Mecan S, but certainly doesn’t feel like it, maybe because it weighs 400 pounds less. Simply put, it’s much, MUCH more rewarding to drive this car than the Porsche. It handled really well (AS run-flats notwithstanding), and was extremely lively on the launch. The throttle wasn't dead like the Porsche, and even the exhaust note was pleasant. Big 2.5" pipe, split at the single muffler.

4 year, 50k mile warranty. From what I've read, it needs warranty.

Anyway, I love this car. It's at the top of my list now.
Funny how cars shuffle in-and-out of our lists. I can't say I was really aware of this, but I can certainly see how it could bubble up to the top over the Jag.

C&D has a pretty good in-depth review here: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ng-impressions

It's certainly a far more practical choice that the Jaguar. Interestingly, it is actually steer-by-wire (ie electric) power steering as opposed to a hydraulic rack like the G. I'll be honest, this was a huge hangup for me in the R, having lived with the Gs absolutely fantastic steering and been unimpressed with other electric steering (wifey's Honda Accord Touring, I'm looking at you), but quickly realized, not all electric steering racks are created equal. Some manufactures sweat the details, and it sounds like Alfa (and VW) did just that if you mistook it for hydraulic.

Regarding the brakes, they could just need bed in/broken in. Also, with Brembo sourced calipers, there is likely a world of pad options that would provide different feel.

My only concern would be Alfa's less than stellar reliability reputation (ditto with my VW), but to your point, a 4/50 warranty should give ample time to flush out any issues with the car. It's priced surprisingly reasonable, and will likely take a nice depreciation hit, as most luxury cars do, making it a nice pickup on the used car market as they cycle off lease. Probably not a car to mod, which could be good or bad, depending on your perspective, but it does make it easier to get rid of should your preferences change years down the road.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?