G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by NW_6MT
It's a very personal matter, but you seem okay with discussing so I have a question...
Why the need to pay for their college? I went to college, as the first in my extended family, on student loans and income from my own job. I knew several friends who just had it tee'd up for them and without question none of them appreciated the experience or worked as hard as I did. Most took extra time to graduate as they weren't wasting their own money. Actually heard that exact sentiment multiple times. If given the chance, would I have turned down "free money?" Probably not. I did have a couple of very small academic scholarships that I was thankful for (<$5k total). I'm proud that I did it my way and wouldn't change it. My folks could've afforded to pay some if they wanted to delay their retirement or limit their own enjoyment in the best years of their life but I would've regretted it if they had. We were pretty much typical middle class. My dad is a union pipefitter and my mom worked in a special ed classroom. We weren't poor or well off but my sister and I never truly wanted for anything. My parents had an extra commuter car that my dad drove to work to save miles on his pickup and they helped us each buy our first beater. We had a boat that we fished out of a lot and learned to ski/wakeboard behind in the summer. We camped way more then flying away to vacations afar (that is still my personal preference, with the exception of Belize...) with the token trek to Disneyland when I was 10. Lots of hunting and fishing and the annual week at the lake etc. Otherwise, modest 3 bedroom house in a rural suburb, two dogs, a cat....
I guess I wrote all this to paint a picture and to ask where the sentiment comes from that parents are obligated to pay? Why should what you drive come down to where your child wants to go to school? I don't have kids, but I experienced the situation directly from the other side and never felt entitled to what my parents earned. From that perspective, I don't think the "you don't have kids, wouldn't understand" theory holds water because I lived the exact situation. I was taken care of, loved, and emotionally supported. That's all I could ask for.

It's your money, your kids. I'm just curious.
I've been digesting this, and first: paragraph breaks. Holy wall of text!!!

Second, I kinda agree, but college costs have gotten a lot more expensive than when I went to school. I get what you're saying, I'm a first gen college grad on my Dads side, working my way through school, for 7 years, and my wife is a HS drop out with a Masters. But I'd kind of like to provide that "third leg" of support to my kids. I'd like them to graduate without the burden of student loans, like we did, but also be able to really enjoy and live their college years financially stress free.

The flip side is, I live in a school district where Mom and Dad are footing a full ride at whatever school and a CPO 335i is a graduation present, so I see that entitled side, and I want my kids to work more than that. And also because we can't provide that.

It sounds like your parents were responsible and still provided a memorable childhood. But just one Disney trip??? We've gone 3x in the last 4 years, you should go again

It says something that we've all graduated to the same car lol.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
More OT, but what the heck.

My private school alma mater had a $5,700 tuition when I attended. Today it's $43,500. Add another $16,000 in fees and on-campus R&B. Compare that to a high-end private school with a $60,000+ annual tuition. Add R&B and you're looking at a 4-year, $300,000 education. Now butt that up against modest, guaranteed student loans (for which we don't qualify as subsidized, dammit)... suddenly the math starts to fail in a big, big way.

So... she's attending a great pre-med State University, applying scholarships, grants, loans and savings. This is all we can do, and she'll graduate with $27,000 in debt.

These are the priorities I've been preoccupied with for the last year, and I'm trying to figure things out, particularly since I've another college-bound teen 3 years behind the first. It makes me wonder if I continue to own my modded G the entire time, then get Next Car as a personal reward post-college, just before retirement.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:38 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Personally, I would've been SCREWED if my parents didn't pick up the college tab. When I graduated, job prospects were basically slim to none and I couldn't get a job, any job, unless it was some sort of unpaid arrangement/internship. Depressing was an understatement; I couldn't imagine what I would've done if I was staring down the barrel of 100k in school debt. I didn't get a break until I was 4 years removed from college before I got a job and started my career. Even then, I was extremely lucky. From there, I was able to get married, buy a home, buy nice cars, etc...All of that was done on my dime and I refused help from my parents and in-laws (despite heavy push back). I felt that it wasn't on them to help me financially anymore. Doesn't stop my mom from trying to give me gas money though lol.

Circling back, I wouldn't have been anywhere close to having what I do now if my parents didn't pay for college and I'm extremely grateful. I try to make it up to them every holiday ha ha. With that, I'll be saving for my kids (when the time comes) so they have the opportunity to get a head start, debt free, as I did; and hopefully the trend continues after I'm long gone.

Back on topic, anybody take a look at the new Type S Acura is coming out with? From what I remember, It's going to have a new TT V6, DOHC and updated V-Tec. No MT, so some might not give it a second thought but should be a 335 competitor.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:49 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Man alive, vehicles are so fast nowadays. I was window shopping on auto trader (for a car I'll purchase 8 years from now), and ran across the Porsche Macan Turbo.

I think I want this. With the performance package, 3.7 second 0-60, 12.4 second 1/4 mile, and .93g on the skid pad. That's just insane for a compact SUV, or really any car for that matter. The steering is supposed to be pretty good too.

I just wonder if Porsches are as great as everyone says. Never actually talked to someone who's driven one (I live in Ozark, MO after all).

Old 08-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Man alive, vehicles are so fast nowadays. I was window shopping on auto trader (for a car I'll purchase 8 years from now), and ran across the Porsche Macan Turbo.

I think I want this. With the performance package, 3.7 second 0-60, 12.4 second 1/4 mile, and .93g on the skid pad. That's just insane for a compact SUV, or really any car for that matter. The steering is supposed to be pretty good too.

I just wonder if Porsches are as great as everyone says. Never actually talked to someone who's driven one (I live in Ozark, MO after all).
Had a friend once with a 944 Turbo, and another with a 911 twin-turbo. Both cars left a memorable, awesome impression on me. That Macan Turbo appeals to me a LOT, particularly after falling in casual love with my wife's Forester. I wouldn't mind a tall, comfortable, small SUV that performs like a sports car.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts

Porsche generally ranks pretty well in reliability, and I tend to see more old Porsches on the road than most other brands. You've probably got a decent chance of finding a well cared for example if that's the route you want to go. But yeah, cars are getting ridiculously fast.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:21 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
No stick shift, no care.

Enjoy your car
No paying for gas either. And I'll be getting free supercharging for the life of the car.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

2017 Mecan Turbo interior.

ANMVQ (08-09-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 07:12 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Had a friend once with a 944 Turbo, and another with a 911 twin-turbo. Both cars left a memorable, awesome impression on me. That Macan Turbo appeals to me a LOT, particularly after falling in casual love with my wife's Forester. I wouldn't mind a tall, comfortable, small SUV that performs like a sports car.
It'd be a perfect daily driver. It checks damn near every box: performance, luxury, reliability, all weather capabilities, and it doesn't look too shabby. I think they sound nice with an aftermarket exhaust too:

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Porsche generally ranks pretty well in reliability, and I tend to see more old Porsches on the road than most other brands. You've probably got a decent chance of finding a well cared for example if that's the route you want to go. But yeah, cars are getting ridiculously fast.
I always assumed they were maintenance nightmares like most German cars. That explains why they hold their value so well. I'd like to rent one from Turo for the day, just to get a taste.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts

Wow, I had no idea that car was so fast. There was actually one at the last track day I had at Road America and it could not get out of my way fast enough- must have been a relatively new driver to the track.

I have driven two 911's. One was a Carrera S in the early 2000's about the same time the Nissan 350Z was popular. It was amazing how similar the two cars were in visibility, acceleration, braking, handling, etc. A few years later I got to drive a 911 Turbo. It was a weird experience as it felt just like the Carrera S in daily driving. It seemed like there was a fair amount of turbo lag, but it really came to life at speeds that would get your license taken away. I bet it would be fun on a track, but almost pointless on the street. It was similar to the last Corvette ZR-1 in that by the time you were really getting into the power band and enjoying the car you were already tripling the speed limit. Very different than a GT-R, which feels fast at any speed- sometimes even just sitting in it in the parking lot with the engine off.
obsidiansamurai (08-08-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:31 AM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

haha how many times do people bring up the netflix show to you living in Ozark? (me included). I've always enjoed the Macan, test drove a cayenne a few years ago and the thing MOVES. So hopefully, the macan has the same performance. As for people owning a porsche, I only know one ex co-worker who owned a carrera and he LOVED. it. Raved about it at lunch every day.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
It was similar to the last Corvette ZR-1 in that by the time you were really getting into the power band and enjoying the car you were already tripling the speed limit.
I'm with you on this; daily drivers should have accessible power. I would beat on my old RSX often without fear of getting jail time. I drive too fast in the G sometimes and feel bad about it when I get home, so I'm not sure I trust myself with anything much faster.

Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
haha how many times do people bring up the netflix show to you living in Ozark? (me included). I've always enjoed the Macan, test drove a cayenne a few years ago and the thing MOVES. So hopefully, the macan has the same performance. As for people owning a porsche, I only know one ex co-worker who owned a carrera and he LOVED. it. Raved about it at lunch every day.
LOL, I think you may be the first. I did watch that show though - it was alright. I bet you now think we're all well-spoken hillbillies that launder money.

(it's true )
Old 08-15-2018, 11:18 AM
qpham45

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on your situation and what you want. I ended up getting a 2014 E350 with AMG Sport package. Its an amazing car.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:35 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I don't know how Porsches drive as a driver, but I've been in a few as a passenger (911, Cayenne, Macan, Panamera) and anything from the 2000's up have the nicest interiors out of any contemporaries i have seen..the first thing I thought of when I saw the Lexus LC posted further up in this thread was it reminded me of a Porsche interior as its basically my gold standard at this point...if i wiere to go prosche as a G replacement, I think I would go for a used 1st gen Panamera...ugly as sin on the outside but so nice inside and accelerates like a rocket...
Old 08-15-2018, 01:05 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by qpham45
Depends on your situation and what you want. I ended up getting a 2014 E350 with AMG Sport package. Its an amazing car.
hm your post made me do a little digging and they're fairly cheap for low miles...

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?