G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Old 07-16-2018, 04:49 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
He said it fell off above 6k to the 6500 redline... not 5500. I thought that sounded low.

Edit: would be nice to know exactly where and how much, this is simply one man’s impression. Short shifting at 6k may not really be warranted

Last edited by Nico-derm; 07-16-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
He said it fell off above 6k to the 6500 redline... not 5500. I thought that sounded low.
I watched it in my office on headphones, so I might not have got all the details 100% I need a 'Watching Car Reviews on You-Tube DO NOT DISTURB' sign for when I'm slacking off.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

That’s exactly why I waited til leaving time... bothered my carpool with it playing in the backseat lol

Not sure why I’m invested in this as I am not in the market for another 3yrs at best... but I like to look. Yeah that’s it...
Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
That review wasn't exactly glowing praise for the clutch and 6MT.

Mid 7s would be terrible...My guess would have been low 6s. If random you tube reviews are popping up, C&D or Motor Trend should have a test with instrumented acceleration soon.
^ yup, mid-7's is awful. and would be a deal breaker. for my interest's sake, i hope the instrumented & legit auto mags produce significantly better numbers.

and hey, our 6MT isn't exactly butter smooth either, so if i survived 8+ years living with it i'd have to imagine the G70 not being any worse...lowered expectations?

i did test an M240 a while back. that thing had the sweetest shifter since my old honda civic student car.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead

and hey, our 6MT isn't exactly butter smooth either, so if i survived 8+ years living with it i'd have to imagine the G70 not being any worse...lowered expectations?
Yeah, but our shifter, even without a STS is still pretty direct.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
and hey, our 6MT isn't exactly butter smooth either
It was rubbery and the throws were long. However, any aftermarket STS fixes those shortcomings in a way that makes you wonder why you didn't do it as soon as you bought the car.

I somewhat doubt there will be an aftermarket world for parts on the G70. Not for a while, at least. Unless they lifted shifter parts off the Genny Coupe, which is a distinct possibility.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-genesis-g70-should-make-german-automakers-very-1827584004
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
It was rubbery and the throws were long. However, any aftermarket STS fixes those shortcomings in a way that makes you wonder why you didn't do it as soon as you bought the car.

I somewhat doubt there will be an aftermarket world for parts on the G70. Not for a while, at least. Unless they lifted shifter parts off the Genny Coupe, which is a distinct possibility.
It wouldn’t surprise me if the parts were reused off the coupe and if aftermarket pieces were available sooner rather than later. Options would be limited to “first to market” companies in most cases... but the drivetrain is a somewhat known commodity.

Between the STS and the RJM Pedal the driving experience is completely changed in the G... I agree that those type of mods should be near the top of any MT build plan. For the STS, I wish more manufacturers would focus on keeping installed height the same as OEM. The arm length has minimal effect on functionality.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
For the STS, I wish more manufacturers would focus on keeping installed height the same as OEM. The arm length has minimal effect on functionality.
Yep. If you know my build, you know I went way-y-y out of my way to address that situation.

On-topic (kind of), I've always liked the little Genny Coupe. It wasn't upscale, but it had style and respectable specs. It seemed to me like a slightly more substantial Subby BRZ. To this day, when I see the Genny I still take a second look.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Genesis was on my radar when getting my G. 2013 or '14 2.0. Pretty fun car with plenty of go in stock form. The 2.0 pulled and is potent after tuning. Just didn't care for the new look compared to the BK1. They made the BK2 look entirely too much like an Elantra.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:35 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
The Genesis G70 has potential with a 6spd. available and a turbo engine that maybe someone will tune (possibly a tuner who worked previously with the coupe). However, it is at a pretty big disadvantage power wise to the V6 and there is no guarantee that there will be any tuning support since Hyundai stopped making the coupe 2 years ago. The only reason we have any tuning support for our G cars is that all the parts are really designed for the 370Z.

I think the car looks nice inside and from the sides and back, but the front end and base wheels leave a lot to be desired. I will have to comment more once we get one at work (probably not a 6spd). The G80 Sport is a very nice car though so I have not doubts that the G70 will be very decent.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yep. If you know my build, you know I went way-y-y out of my way to address that situation.

On-topic (kind of), I've always liked the little Genny Coupe. It wasn't upscale, but it had style and respectable specs. It seemed to me like a slightly more substantial Subby BRZ. To this day, when I see the Genny I still take a second look.
I sold my 2013 2.0T 6MT Genesis to get my current G. I loved the car except it was a complete lemon and I ended up getting rid of it in under a year. In that time I had something like 16 warranty trips to the dealership for various things. Great car when it all worked, though.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
I sold my 2013 2.0T 6MT Genesis to get my current G. I loved the car except it was a complete lemon and I ended up getting rid of it in under a year. In that time I had something like 16 warranty trips to the dealership for various things. Great car when it all worked, though.

My Sonata was the same issues before I got the G. Tons of trips to the dealership for small stupid crap and it was like trying to convince a person to get a root canal to get work done. I know Genesis is supposed to be different (akin to Lincoln vs Ford) but at the end of the day almost all the Genesis dealerships are Hyundai dealerships and my experiences with them have been completely tainted. I don't want to be one of the "masses". I want to be respected when I bring a sincere issue to their attention and I expect it to be resolved, not ignored or blown off.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
My Sonata was the same issues before I got the G. Tons of trips to the dealership for small stupid crap and it was like trying to convince a person to get a root canal to get work done. I know Genesis is supposed to be different (akin to Lincoln vs Ford) but at the end of the day almost all the Genesis dealerships are Hyundai dealerships and my experiences with them have been completely tainted. I don't want to be one of the "masses". I want to be respected when I bring a sincere issue to their attention and I expect it to be resolved, not ignored or blown off.
The nearest Genesis dealership to me is freaking Toronto.

I agree with that sentiment... I would not be comfortable going to a Hyundai dealership for service. It's way too soon to be making the Infiniti/Nissan equivalency comparison to Genesis/Hyundai.

Doesn't Genesis have a Concierge Service? That would at least hide the problem.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-18-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
ouch, that's disappointing to hear, you'd think that by the 2013 MY they would have those QC issues sorted out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?