G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
For something like that, I'd be counting on depreciation, and find one a year or two used. I honestly don't know why I keep getting drawn to that car. I think its the rear end design.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Interesting. I feel like the stars are aligning for my next car to be this time next year, right at the 7 year mark with my G.

Rare to see an ATS-V coupe or sedan, where I see M3 and M4s daily.
I agree on the ATS-V, but not sure when. The fact that M3's are so much more common and I think have better styling keeps reeling me back though. Especially since it is an inline 6.

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
A nicely modded white Alpha 4C did a couple hot passes by the patio I’m sitting on... looked and sounded amazing. I understand what peaked your interest 4DRZ.
Yeah that car is straight up awesome. Just wish it came with a stick shift. No matter, once you see one on the road and how low and wide it is in person you lose it.

Originally Posted by STownSaint
*Piqued

I'd consider getting an Alfa just for that logo:

If I get an Alfa it has to have this logo too:

Originally Posted by EcstaticG37XS
Going back to the ATSV talk...got a ride in a friend's car with intake, downpipe, and tune and this car is a rocket! He told me 540whp. The 8speed auto is so smooth I could barely feel it shifting gears. After looking at prices I think this is the car to upgrade to.
Well this is awesome news!

Originally Posted by Rochester
I have to admit, this is an appealing photo:

I think it looks even better and more sporty in this bright red in person. I first saw this car at the Milwaukee Auto show in the bright red a few years ago and it looked awesome.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I like the ATS-V, but I'm hesitant for a couple reasons.

First, this is a low volume niche car. Doesn't seem like much forum activity. How reliable is the 3.6TT? Are there any other know issues. It's not like GM has the best reliability history, and a 465 horsepower twin turbo sports car that's seen who knows how many 1/4 mile runs or track days could be a reliability nightmare.

Second, it's great that the car is depreciating to the point that what was a minimum $62K car is going for low 40s 2 years later, this trend isn't going to stop. With a 5 year note, the car wont be worth much by the time it's paid off and 7 years old with 70,000+ miles.

It's still a car that's on my list though.....
GM has used the regular 3.6 in about a zillion vehicles and their performance engineers usually do not miss the boat on beefing up their powerful engines so I think we are pretty safe here. Otherwise just get one from a Caddy dealership certified so you have a 100k warranty.

The beautiful thing about getting luxury performance cars used is that the main depreciation is with the 1st owner and it is steep. After that, most cars level off and depreciate at rates much more similar to normal cars.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The beautiful thing about getting luxury performance cars used is that the main depreciation is with the 1st owner and it is steep. After that, most cars level off and depreciate at rates much more similar to normal cars.
This is my favourite thing about "luxury" cars

BTW the ATS V sedan is a real looker in person.. I've only seen it in grey with yellow calipers and its so nice an low key but aggressive...nothing like the regualr models
Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I agree on both accounts Hashim
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (05-16-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 12:38 AM
darklordsep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go for a M2, perfect daily.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:00 AM
7Head
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by darklordsep
RS3 for me. Because Canadian winter.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:01 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by darklordsep
have you test driven one yet? i'm not sure what your streets are like where you are, but the M2 is a rough ride over bumps and uneven surfaces. i rode in one a while back and as much fun as it was the sacrifice is considerable. be sure to go for a drive before making up your mind.

that's why many auto journalists prefer the M240 as a DD over the M2. most agree the gain is not worth the pain. the M240 has almost all of the performance of the M2 but far less of the choppy ride nuisance. they also said the M2 squeaks and rattles much more - likely due to the harsher body motions which takes a toll on the various fasteners.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
have you test driven one yet? i'm not sure what your streets are like where you are, but the M2 is a rough ride over bumps and uneven surfaces. i rode in one a while back and as much fun as it was the sacrifice is considerable. be sure to go for a drive before making up your mind.

that's why many auto journalists prefer the M240 as a DD over the M2. most agree the gain is not worth the pain. the M240 has almost all of the performance of the M2 but far less of the choppy ride nuisance. they also said the M2 squeaks and rattles much more - likely due to the harsher body motions which takes a toll on the various fasteners.
I don’t imagine it’s any worse then a lowered, stiffened and performance oriented G....
Old 05-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That's good opinion info.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:39 PM
canucklehead

^^ perhaps, assuming the entire suspension was stiffened (i.e. bushings, sway bars, etc) and not just the spring rates. not sure how many guys go full-beans with the G suspension conversion since it's not really aimed at that market.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:51 PM
canucklehead

That's good opinion info.
don't get me wrong, i'm sure i'd love an M2. just not as my DD...
Old 05-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

don't get me wrong, i'm sure i'd love an M2. just not as my DD...
I think I'm reading this right... In my 50's now, and I'm feeling a preference for a luxury(ish) car that has respectable, unique performance, as opposed to a sports car tamed down for the street. That's quite a distinction to put between the two 2's, but I still haven't driven either, so I'm just spit-balling.

I really need to drive a 2-series, whichever sub-model. Maybe this summer.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-17-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:39 PM
canucklehead

I think I'm reading this right... In my 50's now, and I'm feeling a preference for a luxury(ish) car that has respectable, unique performance, as opposed to a sports car tamed down for the street.
^ +1. i'm a bit behind you, but that's my aim as well. try the M240 6MT. it is a blast, and the gearbox/clutch is butter out of the box. no RJM pedal need apply. as a fun weekend car which can also double as a DD if needed, or for some track duty with a small amount of prep, it is a solid choice.

for some reason - likely disposable income and/or lack of common sense - many of my friends are getting wilder with their vehicle choices as they get older. but not that old. late 30's early 40's more like it. newer camaro Z28, M4, M3, M2, hopped-up Golf R, hopped-up S4, and on...but they do all have other vehicles as DD's if needed.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hopped up, LOL.

I'm 6.5 years into a 10+ year plan with this car. Still lots of time left, and low mileage on the way, but I love discussions like this, keeping my eyes and options open.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:41 PM
Snorlax562
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I really want is a GTR but if I cant do that then maybe just continue to mod the G? hmmm decisions decisions

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?