What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time? - Page 84 - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > G-Spot > G37 Sedan
Reload this Page >

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Notices
G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Old 09-20-2018, 10:57 AM
markyo0o

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac View Post
That's certainly the stereotype

I think the current generation STI is the most comparable to the G37S if you're looking for that mechanical, analog feeling--hydraulic steering, rod operated shifter, etc. I could overlook the interior if it wasn't for the motors tendency to pop ringlands. If you're considering going that route, I'd recommend trying out the Golf R and Audi S3 too.
I don't think the current STI is worth the price and agree with trying the Golf R/Audi S3. The previous genaration WRX/STI was so much more fun to drive and I think Subaru is losing it's sight on what made the WRX/STI great cars to own.

I may be biased since I miss my 2011 wrx.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Lego_Maniac

Originally Posted by markyo0o View Post
I don't think the current STI is worth the price
Agreed.

The previous genaration WRX/STI was so much more fun to drive and I think Subaru is losing it's sight on what made the WRX/STI great cars to own.

I may be biased since I miss my 2011 wrx.
I think you're biased. I've driven both generations. The 2015+ are better cars. While they aren't any faster, especially the STi, because it's still using the same motor, and I miss the hatchback configuration, they handle better, ride better, steer better, and have significantly nicer interiors with more modern features.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:22 PM
obsidiansamurai

Anyone cross shop a WRX when they were looking to buy a G37? What pulled you the G37 way?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Lego_Maniac

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai View Post
Anyone cross shop a WRX when they were looking to buy a G37? What pulled you the G37 way?

I did. Because in 2012, I thought the current generation WRX was really lacking in interior quality and refinement, and wasn't a step up from a performance perspective. Plus I was coming from a Legacy GT and wanted something different.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:22 PM
markyo0o

Agreed.

I think you're biased. I've driven both generations. The 2015+ are better cars. While they aren't any faster, especially the STi, because it's still using the same motor, and I miss the hatchback configuration, they handle better, ride better, steer better, and have significantly nicer interiors with more modern features.
You're probably right that the newer ones have all that over the previous generation and I'm probably looking at it at a different perspective. I forget that the thread topic is what car can replace the G37 and I'd say the WRX/STI is not a worthy replacement for the G37 if I had to get a new daily.

Had a 2011 wrx base model and I loved driving that thing. The features it had were AC/power windows/radio and that's all. As a daily driver it was a pain in the *** sometimes but fun wise it was a blast. With the new generation STI I test drove, I didn't get that same fun feeling as the one I had and I had a base WRX. I know the newer ones have better interiors/electronics etc and probably better as daily drivers but it didn't appeal to me. I liked that raw drivers feeling it gave me .

I mean for christ's sake they have CVT options for the new ones. I think the Mistubishi Evo needs to come back to give Subaru a kick in the nuts so it can remember its roots.

Last edited by markyo0o; 09-20-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:12 PM
RMB5190

I think the Mistubishi Evo needs to come back to give Subaru a kick in the nuts so it can remember its roots.
I've been saying this to my friends for awhile now. Without the Evo to keep them in check, Subaru really relaxed and stopped giving it 100%. Pretty bad when the Evo could still put up a fight against an STI, stock for stock.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:20 PM
obsidiansamurai

I did. Because in 2012, I thought the current generation WRX was really lacking in interior quality and refinement, and wasn't a step up from a performance perspective. Plus I was coming from a Legacy GT and wanted something different.
Pretty much the same reasons here, and I kept reading about blown head gaskets, or whatever gasket problem WRX's commonly have. I always thought Legacy GT's looked sharp, but never considered once since they're supposed to have poor handling. I'm not sure if you could echo that statement though.

I'd say the WRX/STI is not a worthy replacement for the G37 if I had to get a new daily
Would you say the G37 is a worthy replacement for the last-gen WRX/STI? I'm real interested in hearing how they compare to the G37's, even though it's AWD vs RWD. I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 WRX Limited Hatchback.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:00 PM
markyo0o

Would you say the G37 is a worthy replacement for the last-gen WRX/STI? I'm real interested in hearing how they compare to the G37's, even though it's AWD vs RWD. I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 WRX Limited Hatchback.
As a daily driver, the G37 is a worthy replacement for the last-gen gen WRX/STI. I went from WRX -> Accord -> G37x(current), and the G37 is far better as a daily and can still have some fun while driving.

But It also depends on what you are looking for though. If you're looking for the "fun factor" and can deal with it daily(manual transmission/stiffer ride/louder cabin noise), I'd get a 2011-2013 WRX/STI.

I sold my WRX because I was tired of driving a manual every day to/from work in Houston traffic. Got myself an Accord but the Accord was horribly boring to drive. Don't get me wrong the Accord was a good car but going from WRX to Accord it was completely boring/mundane. So that led me to the G37, which had some sportyness and is comfortable to drive every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to markyo0o For This Useful Post:
obsidiansamurai (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Lego_Maniac

Pretty much the same reasons here, and I kept reading about blown head gaskets, or whatever gasket problem WRX's commonly have.
Ringlands. The design of the boxer motor is conducive to blowing the ringlands (part of the piston).

I always thought Legacy GT's looked sharp, but never considered once since they're supposed to have poor handling. I'm not sure if you could echo that statement though.
I had a 2010, so the 5th gen, and the handling was absolute garbage, and at the time, limited aftermarket support. Prior years Spec.B had Bilstein shocks and were supposedly better handling, and also the STi 6MT.

I was looking at the '12 STi hatch back when I originally purchased my car. I think the G37S is a significantly better car than the previous gen WRX/STi. Except for resale, those car's hold their value better. I think the current gen STi would be a lateral move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lego_Maniac For This Useful Post:
obsidiansamurai (09-20-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 03:24 PM
4DRZ

Originally Posted by STownSaint View Post
Kinda want to test drive an STI. I'd be the only owner that doesn't vape/drink Monster
It's funny to me how much the stereotypical Subaru owner has changed in the last 20 years. I really started tuning cars with my '98 2.5RS (the one that looked like the WRC winning car, but without the turbo) and aftermarket parts were very sparse and either came from England (Prodrive), Australia, or Japan. Then the WRX came out and aftermarket support exploded like the Civic a decade earlier. We were always seen as hard working underdogs at track days by the Camaro and Mustang guys until they learned that we were faster. Now the Subarus are so far behind technologically and so slow that it is almost more of a fashion statement to own one.

I've spent the better part of my workday (sorry boss) reading articles about the Audi RS3. I think this is the one. It lines up perfectly with my plans, in which by the time I'm ready to put my G in storage, the RS3 will have depreciated enough to fit into my budget.

It's insanely fast, handles well, it's practical, and sounds amazing. It also has AWD with a dual-clutch automatic, which is exactly what I want in my next daily driver. I'll keep the G so I can get my manual fix.

Only complaint is the looks, but looks are pretty low on the list of reasons why I purchase vehicles.
I really like the RS3 too. With a tune from APR the car is an absolute monster and it has a great looking interior. I just wish it was available with a 6spd, had better weight distribution, a real set of rear brakes, and some more headroom and trunk room. Not bad, but definitely not perfect.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.