G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by General Grim
I found out driving in manual mode is the solution to this.
Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of getting an automatic???

All you guys driving around in manual mode crack me up.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,569 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
In some cars, it can be fun. Just not this one.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Agreed, but there is a group of people that say they drive in manual mode 100% of the time. Strikes me as silly.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:42 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Yea, that's stupid. I dont know about the 7AT but on the 5AT if you are in manual mode in slow speeds / traffic it's insanely jerky while in D or DS it's super smooth.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:46 PM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I tried DS mode once, and I didn't like it.

Best I could tell the car tries to anticipate what you're trying to do and double downshifts during hard braking. Well apparently I brake hard enough for even just a stoplight, and that thing was double downshifting all the time. So I was like, meh, and just tool around in D.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:54 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
^ It seems weird until you find a nice back road, then it makes total sense!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:35 AM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of getting an automatic???

Originally Posted by Rochester
Originally Posted by emerilnut

Best I could tell the car tries to anticipate what you're trying to do and double downshifts during hard braking. Well apparently I brake hard enough for even just a stoplight, and that thing was double downshifting all the time. So I was like, meh, and just tool around in D.

I have no interest in getting into an argument that will not change either side's opinion, but I'll throw in my 2c for anyone deciding on buying a G37 and leave it at that:

- I'm one of those guys that drives in manual mode (using paddles) 95% of time. It does quite well in this regard, and does better the harder you drive it. MUCH better than my IS350.
The other 5% = some parking lots, dealing with toddlers/drinks, etc. Nice to have the option, I can tell you that.

- I simply would not have bought this car without the column-mounted paddles (which I love, thank you Infiniti). No desire to drive a sports sedan around in D. Or even in DS. I would have gone with a larger VIP chassis if that were the case.

- passed on a nice blk/blk 6-spd G37S once I found out it does not have rear AC vents. WTF Infiniti? I live in Phoenix, have my kids in the back seat at times, and this is a "near-luxury" brand, AFAIK. Deal breaker.

Anyway, I can see how the manual folks would love theirs (in a cooler climate), and am glad the non-sport package guys still enjoy theirs in full auto. But IMO, mine is the best blend of the two worlds which is why I chose what I did.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:07 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
I'm leaning towards a Lancer Evolution MR or a Q50 3.0T! I have yet to test drive the EVO but I'm sure it'll be fun I want a fun AWD boosted car! Been looking at the prices for mods and there much more affordable than the Gs and also way better power gains! Will see the luxury in the Q50 sways me towards it but I'm not sure if I care anymore I just want a car that is fun to drive now!
Old 07-27-2017, 08:02 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
I'm leaning towards a Lancer Evolution MR or a Q50 3.0T! I have yet to test drive the EVO but I'm sure it'll be fun I want a fun AWD boosted car! Been looking at the prices for mods and there much more affordable than the Gs and also way better power gains! Will see the luxury in the Q50 sways me towards it but I'm not sure if I care anymore I just want a car that is fun to drive now!
Before you do - Type into google: "Mitsubishi SST transmission"

First auto complete is '' '' Problems.

Read those links before buying the MR. You want power gains? Reconsider. The dual clutch will grenade on you after 330whp. Gotta get it built then. It's a specialty transmission so make sure you find someone who knows what they're doing...The SST has come a long way in terms of aftermarket support but the Mitsu Evo X needs to have a correctly built one in order to make real power. If that's what you wanna do, get a GSR. Easier to build and can handle more power out of the box before a rebuild.

Interior is extremely aged. 90's rental car status. It's a rocket on wheels but after that, it's lacking in every category.

I didn't like the Q personally. It's taken the driving experience away in exchange for luxury and numbness. I've heard people saying the Black S Q50 is a blast though. Have you not considered the Q50 RS? If you're looking at Evo X MRs then the RS should be in your budget. Gets an additional 100+ horses and with a couple mods will throw down awesome power.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 AM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Having been obsessed with my next car since participating in this thread (which is funny considering I won't be in the market for at least another 4 years), I've been watching review after review of different cars in the 2016 and 2017 model years since that's the car I'll be searching for in 2020 or 2021.

After looking at alot of options outside of Japanese, i think I'm leaning either toward a BMW 3-series or staying at "home" with the Q50. I'll definitely be looking for a RWD luxury performance sedan at the entry level. I'm not a huge fan of the exterior look of the Q50, but it still seems to have that edge over the Lexus and Acura competitors. And BMW is the ONLY German brand I would consider.

But then I watched a video review of the last Hyundai Genesis sedan and first G80 sedan.........

If you like to research cars, I found a great YouTube channel called Redline Reviews. I think he does a great job on his reviews with very thorough information, and his driving impressions are honest.
The following users liked this post:
Pato A. Vidal (11-08-2019)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts

Find some twisty roads and you'll get it. Brake before entering the corner and by the time you're reaching the apex the car is in the powerband and you just mash the gas. Wheeeeeeee!
The following users liked this post:
the_wolff (07-31-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Before you do - Type into google: "Mitsubishi SST transmission"

First auto complete is '' '' Problems.
I once saw a drag race between 2 modded evo's. They take off down the quarter and one craps parts all over the track and stops, the second car continues to speed to the finish...then craps parts all over the track.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:38 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Having been obsessed with my next car since participating in this thread (which is funny considering I won't be in the market for at least another 4 years), I've been watching review after review of different cars in the 2016 and 2017 model years since that's the car I'll be searching for in 2020 or 2021.

After looking at alot of options outside of Japanese, i think I'm leaning either toward a BMW 3-series or staying at "home" with the Q50. I'll definitely be looking for a RWD luxury performance sedan at the entry level. I'm not a huge fan of the exterior look of the Q50, but it still seems to have that edge over the Lexus and Acura competitors. And BMW is the ONLY German brand I would consider.

But then I watched a video review of the last Hyundai Genesis sedan and first G80 sedan.........

If you like to research cars, I found a great YouTube channel called Redline Reviews. I think he does a great job on his reviews with very thorough information, and his driving impressions are honest.
Unless it's new, I can't vouch for a BMW. I would surely never buy one new so that says all it needs to. MB AMG lineup isn't being considered? Why is BMW the standard you've set? Not exactly the ultimate driving machines anymore...There's a reason people hammer home the advice to ditch it before the warranty is up...Stigma surrounding the owners too with the number of flat brims rolling around in them now.

Originally Posted by Victory
I once saw a drag race between 2 modded evo's. They take off down the quarter and one craps parts all over the track and stops, the second car continues to speed to the finish...then craps parts all over the track.
Fantastic little beasts when they run. Capable of amazing performance. That said, 2.0 I4s are only capable for so much for so long...It's amazing how many people even think that built motor = indestructible. I've always loved what the Evo has represented and has been capable of doing. I wanted one for years but the fact that their's still brand new Evo X models on lots kind of says something...I'd love to have one as a toy but as a DD I'll take my G > Evo X. Those SST seems to explode at random too. Someone tried arguing with me that people didn't understand them and that's why they exploded. Could have been the case, but when you see Evo X and Ralliart owners talking about the random grenade effect when no mods have been introduced I think it kind of says something. Not to mention they're super complicated and expensive to have work done on them according to everything I've read.

Amazing they could offer a SST/DC in a sub $40k car and it's a great performer but If I was going to own one, It's GSR or nothing.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Those SST seems to explode at random too. Someone tried arguing with me that people didn't understand them and that's why they exploded.
Makes it sound like the transmission got depressed and offed itself...
Old 07-27-2017, 12:50 PM
emerilnut
Registered Member

MB AMG lineup isn't being considered? Why is BMW the standard you've set? Not exactly the ultimate driving machines anymore...There's a reason people hammer home the advice to ditch it before the warranty is up...Stigma surrounding the owners too with the number of flat brims rolling around in them now.
Personal experience with trying to work on my Audi myself, and it was a nightmare. And little things that were wrong with a 4 year old car have sworn me OFF that brand.

I've known too many people who've owned MB and seen all of them frustrated with them and the amount of time they take them to dealers to have things fixed. And then I assume working on them myself is just as hard as the Audi was. That, and one of my best friends has an 87 190E, the Cozzy, and he's always bitching about it when he's working on the car.

My little cadre of old racing buddies love their Porsches and BMW's though, and I've told them about this thread on this forum. Two of them have relayed to me that they loved working on their BMW's. Although their experience doesn't go past E46.

I'm spoiled in that 80% of the work I've done on cars is Miatas. I used to race them about 13-14 years ago, and I still have one as my weekend fun car. They're easy to work on, lots of space to work in, and they don't stack systems on top of systems like AUdi did making maintenance easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?