G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Could not agree more. I say this at least once a week after navigating traffic on my way home. A simple test required at 16 should not be good for a lifetime. At least some type of re-test or evaluation should take place every 5 years or so.
The driving ability of most people on the road is, frankly, horrendous. Next time you're a passenger, take a look at other drivers on the highway. Half of them look like terrified cosmonaut monkeys being hurled through space on a machine they can scarcely comprehend, let alone pilot. Even simple stuff like the general size of ones own car seems to elude people. People in compact cars swinging wide turns like a tractor trailer or not thinking they can fit through spot large enough for 2 cars, not to mention the constant distracted driving. I got rear ended 2 weeks ago making a left hand turn because the second the line of traffic started moving forward the person behind me had their face burred in their phone (fortunately i was rolling so the impact speed was negligible)

I also had my state inspection today and, in 1 hour sitting in the waiting room, no less than 3 people came in with vehicles that had major safety issues that the owners were completely unaware of. "Ma'am, we can't do your oil change because it's all just going to leak out on to the floor." "sir, just pulling your car into the bay I could feel your front wheels shaking around. That needs to be fixed immediately." Blank stares.

And people ask why the US doesn't have an autobahn. Just what we need, a highway with no speed limit used by drivers in busted up hoopties who, by and large, can't figure out how to (or that they need to) check their tire pressure and don't realize (or care) that the left lane is for passing.

Last edited by Victory; 07-24-2017 at 01:59 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Victory:
abrecos (01-30-2022), blnewt (07-24-2017), crazjayz (07-26-2017), iCrap (07-24-2017), Lego_Maniac (07-24-2017), mdigiorgio35 (07-25-2017), RMB5190 (07-24-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:59 AM
Victory
Registered Member

To follow up, I just read that next years Mustang GT (like, the base v8 model) will have a sub 4 second 0-60. Those poor innocent bystanders
Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM
Bdub08

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Even tho i no longer have my G now i have a C300 Mercedes. But this was not my G's replacement. I took on the C300 that we already had in order for us to get a Truck (2017 Dodge Ram Sport R/t) so i let the G go for life stlye needs. With that being said.......... NEXT Summer when i actually get a replacement for the G i am getting a Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti. I cant afford the Quadrifoglio Nor do i need all that but i def am going that route. Out of everything else on the market the Alfa is the one car that is totally different than everything else. And i feel like coming from the G if i upgrade im going to have to completely go outside of the box. I considered a New Mercedes/Lexus/Audi etc...... but everything is just so Bla... So yes that would be my personal choice.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 AM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
To follow up, I just read that next years Mustang GT (like, the base v8 model) will have a sub 4 second 0-60. Those poor innocent bystanders
Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
I just posted a link in the 'other cars' section regarding this. I immediately thought of what was discussed here when posting it.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
preach @victory
Old 07-25-2017, 01:15 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Some 100% all natural 'truth' juice in that statement. Between the distracted and vehicle ignorant drivers out there it's a miracle the highway isn't a wasteland.

Reminds me of something I use to do in college where I'd give a quick horn tap at people when behind them at red lights if they were on their phones. More times than not, the moron wouldn't even glance up and just start taking off. After seeing a T-bone almost occur, it lost its humor, but really blew my mind that a FB update or text could be so important that it's worth rolling a 3,000+ pd vehicle through an intersection without even glancing higher than the steering wheel.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:19 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
M2 would be on my radar, only prob is no BMW dealer within a reasonable drive

I bet the drive home would be more than reasonable... ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by m3clubracer:
blnewt (07-25-2017), Mechanerd (12-14-2020)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
prob gonna go with a 4-dr BMW w/sport pkg... 3, 4, or 5 series depending on what's available at the time. Wanting that 8-spd ZF, and would like to get back into another I6 turbo engine. Pretty happy with the G37 for now, though
Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Toyota Yaris IA or Scion IA maybe. I am planning to transfer next year and I need a car that is reliable and fuel efficient haha!

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyota+yaris+ia&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm= isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLp8f__aXVAhUosFQKHStXAswQ_AU ICigC&biw=360&bih=518#imgrc=ZwBRip89dd_daM:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 AM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Initial B
prob gonna go with a 4-dr BMW w/sport pkg... 3, 4, or 5 series depending on what's available at the time. Wanting that 8-spd ZF, and would like to get back into another I6 turbo engine. Pretty happy with the G37 for now, though
One of, if not the greatest reason why I will never consider another Infiniti model when I replace our G, is the transmission. The 7AT wasn't all that great even in 2009, and now, when compared with the ZF8AT (which we have in a few of our other cars) it's just laughably bad.

That ZF is so good, that Audi is phasing it into their S and RS models, which used to get their dual-clutch transmissions. Even BMW has hinted that the ZF will likely eventually replace their dual-clutch systems in their M models.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by oliveview
One of, if not the greatest reason why I will never consider another Infiniti model when I replace our G, is the transmission.
I totally agree. The last of a proper manual transmission is a deal-breaker in a sports sedan.

No wait...
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
One of, if not the greatest reason why I will never consider another Infiniti model when I replace our G, is the transmission. The 7AT wasn't all that great even in 2009, and now, when compared with the ZF8AT (which we have in a few of our other cars) it's just laughably bad.

That ZF is so good, that Audi is phasing it into their S and RS models, which used to get their dual-clutch transmissions. Even BMW has hinted that the ZF will likely eventually replace their dual-clutch systems in their M models.
How durable is the 7 speed auto in our Gs? One thing I dont like about our transmission is it never down shifts good enough. By that I mean when I am in the free way I have to go full throttle. It will down shift but it just seems like it lacks power. I found out driving in manual mode is the solution to this.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by General Grim
How durable is the 7 speed auto in our Gs? One thing I dont like about our transmission is it never down shifts good enough. By that I mean when I am in the free way I have to go full throttle. It will down shift but it just seems like it lacks power. I found out driving in manual mode is the solution to this.
I might be in the minority, but i think the 7at is a good transmission. A few things can help the transmission issues most people have:

-if you're over 60k get the transmission fluid changed. "Lifetime fluids" are BS

-get updated software. Just tell the dealership you don't like how its shifting and ask if there is new software update available. There is.

-if you wanna drive like a maniac, do it in DS.

-get or make a grounding kit
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Victory
Registered Member

The ZF is a great transmission, but that's not why audi and bmw are replacing their DCTs. The problem is american drivers. We are used to torque converters and car manufacturers who offer DCTs are tired of people coming in for service complaining that their transmission is jerkey or broken because they don't realize it's not a traditional automatic.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?