G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 AM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C63, alfa, and S5 sportback are all on the "later in life" list so for next car (After my G37s) gotta go VW R - just too much fun to pass up

Old 07-21-2017, 10:40 AM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by oliveview
That being said, only once you are in the car for a little while do you realize that it's quite a bit smaller than the competition - especially the G37. If I were single, I'd maybe consider an IS350. But as a family person, as well, I couldn't really see it working as well when filled with people and belongings.
Interesting take and good information to know.

Then I guess I would have to go higher as in GS, the only other model that has an F-sport model. Hmmmm... Too rich for my blood.

That sucks, cuz there are literally no Acuras that I'm attracted to.

But then there IS the new look Mazda6. I love the way this car looks, and easy to get in manual, too. But FWD and 4-cyl only? I don't think so.

Last edited by emerilnut; 07-21-2017 at 10:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MrHarrisMath (06-25-2020)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Wow, it is amazing reading through all the cars you guys are thinking of as I think I have considered almost all of them. I guess we all have similar interests in cars.

To clarify, when I mention M3 or ATS V- I would look at one that is probably 3-5 years old so it should be in the $30-$40k range. I like to have 4 doors and stick shift so for me the ATS V is the perfect tune-able track car that will be good on the street. Great chassis, magnetic shocks, huge brakes, tons of tuning potential with twin turbos, lots of coolers (unlike G37S), etc. However, if I do fewer track days a nice base M3 with cloth seats is hard to pass up as the ATS V looks rather ugly sitting next to it.

The M2, Mustang, various Camaros (SS 1LE or Z/28) and a previous gen Z06 are tempting too, but I think I would like to keep 4 doors.

I also really like hatchbacks so I have definitely considered the Golf R (especially since that is one of the brands we have at work), but the brakes are not to task for serious track work and the fenders are too narrow for wide tires. The Focus RS intrigues me and so would the next gen STI, even if they don't bring back the hatch. However, I think I want to step up a level of performance. (On a side note- I just read the next Golf R is supposed to have 350-ish hp so maybe they will upgrade the other performance items.)

Another car on my radar is the new Audi RS3. It should be a good performance car, but the dual clutch automatic is really not for me. It looks like they did not get the weight distribution sorted either as it comes with wider front tires.

Lots of cool options and who knows what will be on the market in 4-5 years when I will probably be pulling the trigger on something.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 07-21-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 AM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

@4drz, definitely agree...thanks for starting this thread too...always cool to see other's tastes. My roommate has a GTI and I get to drive it a lot but I want faster so the R made sense. I won't use it on the track and probably wont switch for a few years but definitely on my radar. Bit of a downgrade in size but I'm sure it'll be as fun if not more fun.

The Audi S3 isnt my favorite but I'm sure its unreal fun.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Another car on my radar is the new Audi RS3. It should be a good performance car, but the dual clutch automatic is really not for me. It looks like they did not get the weight distribution sorted either as it comes with wider front tires.
I love everything about the RS3 EXCEPT how small it is. Seriously, it's so claustrophobic. If it was a little bigger it'd be my next car for sure.
Jarrett barbaro (07-27-2021)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:31 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
@4drz, definitely agree...thanks for starting this thread too...always cool to see other's tastes. My roommate has a GTI and I get to drive it a lot but I want faster so the R made sense. I won't use it on the track and probably wont switch for a few years but definitely on my radar. Bit of a downgrade in size but I'm sure it'll be as fun if not more fun.

The Audi S3 isnt my favorite but I'm sure its unreal fun.
No problem. Just one of the seven million or so random car thoughts that rattles around inside my head on a daily basis. I think the GTI and Golf R have some of the nicest interiors for the price. The store I work at carries VW and Audi and I know Audi is supposed to be a big step up, but the interiors in both brands are remarkably similar.

You could get a GTI and a tune from APR - Enhancing Your Driving Experience. That should give you plenty of performance for a lot less $$$$.

Originally Posted by iCrap
I love everything about the RS3 EXCEPT how small it is. Seriously, it's so claustrophobic. If it was a little bigger it'd be my next car for sure.
That is the other thing I am leery of with the RS3. It is just barely big enough for me up front at 6'1", but it seems really small in the back seat. I am all for small, lightweight cars, but this might be a step too far.
mdigiorgio35 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 PM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
This really is an awesome thread because it's had me thinking all morning about what's next for me.

The V36 G was one of my dream cars when I bought my 2010 Journey sedan in early 2015. I loved the design of the car when the V36 first came out in 2007. I thought it was an absolutely gorgeous car, came in RWD, and had the largest engine of its Japanese competition. Great power, super nice interior. It was the perfect car.

But now I look out there in the market and things have changed... for the worse. Even the Q50 has smaller engine options now. And I also think that the Q50 is a significant step down in appearance.

So where does that leave me? I'm not drawn to another comparable Japanese brand, and I have a really sour taste in my mouth from German, and the only American cars I'm interested in are trucks.

I'm stuck.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 PM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I plan to keep my G for another 2-3 years and then I'll see what the used market is like. I want to get into a smaller car like a GTI or Golf R, but I'm just worried about German reliability since I keep my cars for a long time.
Maybe I'll keep the G and add a Nismo 370z to the stable.
abrecos (01-30-2022)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,572 Likes on 3,423 Posts
Originally Posted by emerilnut
This really is an awesome thread
Finally! Long overdue external validation. Sweet.

Originally Posted by emerilnut
So where does that leave me? I'm not drawn to another comparable Japanese brand, and I have a really sour taste in my mouth from German, and the only American cars I'm interested in are trucks.

I'm stuck.
Look at the Brits.

Seriously, just look at this car. I can't help but think that all the things we value about a nicely fitted G37, you also get here, with a contemporary design edge, and over-achievement all the things that matter. There's a lot to like in the XE.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
The g37 sedan is actually the smallest car ive ever owned and my next car will probably be larger again. I enjoy the G thoroughly and plan to keep it for many more years, so the automotive landscape might be quite different.

If I was shopping for cars today however, I'd be mighty tempted by the SHO. A living room couch that does high 12s with less than $1k in basic bolt-ons kinda speaks to me. It's not gonna be as fast in the corners, but every time I'm on a twisty road i get stuck behind a truck or a prius anyway
steelercmc (06-12-2019)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:12 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Look at the Brits.

Seriously, just look at this car. I can't help but think that all the things we value about a nicely fitted G37, you also get here, with a contemporary design edge, and over-achievement all the things that matter. There's a lot to like in the XE.

Ahem...you mean the Indians.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:30 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

@4drz, wow man that a great idea. I didn't think of that, besides the performance on the R the other thing that led me to it was it has AWD, where (unfortunately) the GTI doesn't. Living in Boston its almost a must haha, but who knows, maybe I'll be elsewhere in a few years.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Look at the Brits.

I like the F-Type you posted earlier in the thread. That car is the embodiment of what my aspirations are for the G. I just don't know what I'd do with myself with all my free time since you don't mod that car..

Edit: Maybe rims and rotors if we want to get real fancy?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:09 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I recently test drove the new Q60 Red Sport AWD and that's up there on my list. It was really fun to drive and looks great, maybe except for the rear. I also like the M240xi (AWD is practically a must in New England) but the thought of owning a BMW scares me. I'm afraid it would always be in the shop. The RC 350 is nice but I hate the way the interior looks, mostly the radio. I love the way the S5 looks but it's kind of getting old even with it's new "refresh" and also worry about it being in the shop and cost of repairs after warranty is up. C63 is also really nice.

If we're talking strictly secondary track or fun cars within reach I'd say: Camaro, MX-5, S2000, Vette

Probably out of reach for a while: F-Type, 911, M3, M4, GTR, Hellcat
Old 07-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,572 Likes on 3,423 Posts
Originally Posted by oliveview
Ahem...you mean the Indians.
Pretty sure the XE is made in England, Tata Motors notwithstanding.

You know what, I rescind my appreciation for the Jag XE. Because it was on my mind, I swung by the Jag dealership this afternoon and took a look. Didn't drive the car, because I wasn't even remotely interested to go that far. The overall in-person impression was much less than impressive. It looked kind of cheap, actually. Even with a $50K+ sticker on the window.

I very immediately judged that I already have the better car. So that happened.

However, it did pain me to see all those beautiful F-Types in the parking lot. (sigh)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?