G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:51 PM
Ignadot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lexus LS430

I know it is completely two different ideologies, but has anybody thought about getting a Lexus LS after driving G’s? It’s gonna be a little downgrade for me cause I will only have enough money for 04-06 LS430 after my ‘09 G37x was totaled, but I just took a spin on one of them at the closet dealer and I kinda loved it! What do u think? Is it worht it?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:22 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ignadot
I know it is completely two different ideologies, but has anybody thought about getting a Lexus LS after driving G’s? It’s gonna be a little downgrade for me cause I will only have enough money for 04-06 LS430 after my ‘09 G37x was totaled, but I just took a spin on one of them at the closet dealer and I kinda loved it! What do u think? Is it worht it?
Why not look at an older GS300? You could find one relatively cheap, aim for the early 2000s models. Might be a better option, you could find one with a 2JZ-GE or GTE (supra motor, I think this is JDM only? Regardless the 2JZ-GE has a ton of potential for mods) and have a ton of fun with it, gives you a great platform to mod/grow. Swap in a MT, boost it to 600whp, enjoy.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Another car I am considering is the next generation Subaru STI. It would be really nice to have AWD again (especially since we got another 9" of snow today). They recently released the S209 at the Detroit auto show. This is limited to 200 models coming only to the U.S. and it actually got a power bump to 341 and lots of other chassis, brake, and suspension upgrades. The interesting part about this car is that they targeted the Cadillac ATS-V's Lightning Lap time. (You have my attention ) We will have to wait until this summer to see if they got a better time, but I am sure they did. This would be impressive with quite a bit less power than the ATS-V. This also should mean that the next generation STI is even more potent. Now the S209 is rumored to cost $60-$65k so I would not consider that, but if the next STI is a contender and was <$50k, I would be very interested. This and the Golf R may be the last AWD performance cars available with a manual transmission.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Another car I am considering is the next generation Subaru STI. It would be really nice to have AWD again (especially since we got another 9" of snow today). They recently released the S209 at the Detroit auto show. This is limited to 200 models coming only to the U.S. and it actually got a power bump to 341 and lots of other chassis, brake, and suspension upgrades. The interesting part about this car is that they targeted the Cadillac ATS-V's Lightning Lap time. (You have my attention ) We will have to wait until this summer to see if they got a better time, but I am sure they did. This would be impressive with quite a bit less power than the ATS-V. This also should mean that the next generation STI is even more potent. Now the S209 is rumored to cost $60-$65k so I would not consider that, but if the next STI is a contender and was <$50k, I would be very interested. This and the Golf R may be the last AWD performance cars available with a manual transmission.
I posted about this a couple pages ago, and it definitely has my attention. I agree, this is a teaser of the next gen STi. I can't imagine the outgoing model outperforming the new 2020. Recall, the type RA stuff all filtered down to the '19 STi with a minimal price increase. And Subaru has already commented that the 6MT will be available in the next generation. I'm excited that I might have another manual car option in 5-6 years.

I still don't think the R will carry on the 6MT. Manual Rs are languishing on dealer lots, and the 6MT has already been discontinued in other countries, plus, it would require some strengthening if the next gen R makes more power, which it presumably will. VW sold 3500 '18 Rs at a pretty close to 50/50 split on transmissions. IDK that it will be worth the R&D and certification costs to have a 6MT. I think Audi has completely discontinued manuals.

Still happy with the '18R. Apple Car Play, adaptive cruise, and functional cup holders are pretty nice for a daily drive. RSB and ~$650 or so of shifter mods went a long way lol. The OE wheels are still hideous, but I have some lightweight replacements sitting in the garage for when "winter" is over.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:20 AM
Itsjdmyo
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I told my wife that my next car is going to be a Nissan r35 gtr. This is going to happen within 5 years.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Itsjdmyo
I told my wife that my next car is going to be a Nissan r35 gtr. This is going to happen within 5 years.
That reads like a threat.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 AM
markyo0o

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I posted about this a couple pages ago, and it definitely has my attention. I agree, this is a teaser of the next gen STi. I can't imagine the outgoing model outperforming the new 2020. Recall, the type RA stuff all filtered down to the '19 STi with a minimal price increase. And Subaru has already commented that the 6MT will be available in the next generation. I'm excited that I might have another manual car option in 5-6 years.
Was excited when they announced this car because of what you said. It's all positive signs that the next gen STi will have bits and pieces of the S209. Might have to jump back in a Subie again when the next gen is out. I miss driving a manual but at the same time I'm so comfy driving my G to work lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 01-24-2019, 11:09 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Still happy with the '18R. Apple Car Play, adaptive cruise, and functional cup holders are pretty nice for a daily drive. RSB and ~$650 or so of shifter mods went a long way lol. The OE wheels are still hideous, but I have some lightweight replacements sitting in the garage for when "winter" is over.
That's good to hear. I went back and read the review you posted when you first got it and I appreciate the fair comparison. I would love an ATS-V, or something on that tier, but I think I'd be making a financially poor decision. The Golf R however, more specifically a '16 DSG, should be very affordable come 4-5 years. I want to make it an absolute rocket, just go all out on modifications. And before you say "ewww....automatic", fear not, the plan is to keep the G for my manual fix.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
And before you say "ewww....automatic", fear not, the plan is to keep the G for my manual fix.
The DSG is the way to go if you're not obsessed with 6MT. There are even tunes for the DSG for shifting behavior/speed, and they are pretty robust, much more than the 6mt.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Lego, I'm happy for you to hear you're still liking that VW. It was quite a switch up.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I saw that some guys on the Golf R forums are running stage 2+ mods with only needing a DSG tune - that sounds appealing. After that, just putting in some clutch packs will allow them to easily go stage 3+. It amazes me how easily it is to turn these Golfs into monsters.

I saw a Haldex tune is available as well?? I didn't look into it, but I wonder what that would change.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:23 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
I don't see myself ever parting with my 6MT car, these are just too rare, look great, and are a lot of fun.
Now my G35X, I wouldn't mind getting rid of that now, for a truck that can haul the family and tow my toys. I also wouldn't mind a model 3, X, or maybe WRX / Si as a daily.

The Model X would be most ideal since I could tow and have a nice family car that's good for the environment. I'm not saying I'm a die hard environmentalist but it would make up for the other polluters I have or plan on having. Plus I firmly believe in tesla/electric cars for the future.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:05 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I don't see myself ever parting with my 6MT car, these are just too rare, look great, and are a lot of fun.
Now my G35X, I wouldn't mind getting rid of that now, for a truck that can haul the family and tow my toys. I also wouldn't mind a model 3, X, or maybe WRX / Si as a daily.

The Model X would be most ideal since I could tow and have a nice family car that's good for the environment. I'm not saying I'm a die hard environmentalist but it would make up for the other polluters I have or plan on having. Plus I firmly believe in tesla/electric cars for the future.
*cough* Rivian *cough*
Old 01-24-2019, 02:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Hmm... msrp $18K nicely equipped. 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+. This would nicely complement the G.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts

I still don't think the R will carry on the 6MT. Manual Rs are languishing on dealer lots, and the 6MT has already been discontinued in other countries, plus, it would require some strengthening if the next gen R makes more power, which it presumably will. VW sold 3500 '18 Rs at a pretty close to 50/50 split on transmissions. IDK that it will be worth the R&D and certification costs to have a 6MT. I think Audi has completely discontinued manuals.
I thought someone posted up about the S209, but I didn't see it recently. Whoops! That's great news that Subaru is planning to keep a 6MT for the next generation. If VW is at a 50/50 take rate on the 6MT they might keep it. (fingers crossed) Like the Subaru, the Golf R could be a really great track car/daily driver with a better weight distribution and a bit more power. The VW could also use some fixed caliper brakes. You are right, Audi no longer makes manual transmissions.

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
That's good to hear. I went back and read the review you posted when you first got it and I appreciate the fair comparison. I would love an ATS-V, or something on that tier, but I think I'd be making a financially poor decision. The Golf R however, more specifically a '16 DSG, should be very affordable come 4-5 years. I want to make it an absolute rocket, just go all out on modifications. And before you say "ewww....automatic", fear not, the plan is to keep the G for my manual fix.
That ATS-V may be cheaper than you think. They are depreciating a lot quicker than the Golf R. The only problem is that they are much more rare, especially if you get picky about the packages.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Hmm... msrp $18K nicely equipped. 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+. This would nicely complement the G.

Hey, this is what vehicle would be a good replacement for your sedan. Not what motorcycle.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?