What Car(s) Did You Own Before Your G

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 06:24 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by stealthee
Still don't own a G but here goes

75 Chevy Monza 2+2 (wrecked, ripped in half)
85 Ford Bronco II (dad rolled it, we rebuilt it, I drove for awhile and blew up the engine)
87 Dodge Shadow (bought for $100, beat the **** out of it, sold it for $400)
86 Ford Mustang LX (wrecked, rear ended a tri-axle, fixed and sold later)
93 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (sold to my brother)
94 Dodge Stealth (scrapped)
94 Eagle Talon TSI (sold)
07 Grand Prix GT(P) (sold after forward band went out of transmission)
11 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS (current DD)
91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL

I feel like I am missing something in there that I bought and drove but can't remember. I also have bought and parted out 8 or so Mitsubishi 3000GT's and Dodge Stealths. I actually picked up a 91 3000GT a few weeks back to take some parts off of for my Stealth and part the rest.
5 years later with a minor edit. I ended up redoing the 91 and scrapping the 94 Stealth. I still own and daily drive the Lancer. Just hit 101k miles on it the other day.

Cleaned up the 3000GT for a car show on Sunday

What Car(s) Did You Own Before Your G-0gk8jrx.jpg

Old 07-23-2022, 05:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by G37_Architect
Just found this thread and figured I would throw a few of my previous cars up here.

Have owned quite a few but here are a couple that I enjoyed the most.

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege - Fully built w/ forged pistons-rods. One of the best handling fwd cars I have owned.

1998 BMW M3 - It was a BMW Individual with a few bolt-ons and suspension upgrades. Completely changed what I expected from a car, it was an absolute blast to drive.

2001 BMW M5 - Hands down the best all around car I have owned. It was just good at everything. Definitely wish I had hung onto this one.

Nice selection of cars there! I had an E46 M3 and really liked it, but always feared the subframe would tear or the vanos would fail. I keep looking at E36 M3's and E39 M5's like you had since I have never owned one, but have driven them. Then my rational side thinks getting a 20+ year old BMW might not be the best idea as far as maintenance/reliability is concerned. Also cars have gotten so much faster and the chassis development has progressed a ton. I drove a 2005 S2000 today and the weight distribution was great for handling, but the chassis was about as solid as a wet noodle compared to a modern car and it was slow as molasses. Still looks cool though.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:34 AM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Nice selection of cars there! I had an E46 M3 and really liked it, but always feared the subframe would tear or the vanos would fail. I keep looking at E36 M3's and E39 M5's like you had since I have never owned one, but have driven them. Then my rational side thinks getting a 20+ year old BMW might not be the best idea as far as maintenance/reliability is concerned. Also cars have gotten so much faster and the chassis development has progressed a ton. I drove a 2005 S2000 today and the weight distribution was great for handling, but the chassis was about as solid as a wet noodle compared to a modern car and it was slow as molasses. Still looks cool though.
Thanks man! Owning older BMW's definitely is not for anyone that is worried about maintenance/reliability. But man, when they are working right, there isn't much better from a driving perspective. I also think the amount of effort required to keep them running well is part of the the enjoyment. On that note, I think the E36 M3 is an outlier on the reliability front. Definitely requires some preventative but it is leagues ahead on reliability from my experience.

I agree about the S2000. My dad had one that was setup for Autox.. it was a blast to drive at the limit, but I did not enjoy it for driving around town.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by G37_Architect
Thanks man! Owning older BMW's definitely is not for anyone that is worried about maintenance/reliability. But man, when they are working right, there isn't much better from a driving perspective. I also think the amount of effort required to keep them running well is part of the the enjoyment. On that note, I think the E36 M3 is an outlier on the reliability front. Definitely requires some preventative but it is leagues ahead on reliability from my experience.

I agree about the S2000. My dad had one that was setup for Autox.. it was a blast to drive at the limit, but I did not enjoy it for driving around town.
That is good to hear about E36 M3 reliability. Keep my dream alive of finding one to turn into a track rat lol. The father of a friend of mine in H.S. bought one and I thought it was awesome, but I still don't think I have ever driven one. I think it would feel pretty slow to me though with only 240 hp. My STI has about 340 lb/ft. of torque at the moment and it still does not feel terribly quick. All these damn high hp cars have really screwed up my butt dyno as of late.