Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Replacing stock fog lights with LED

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:29 PM
G_Luv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replacing stock fog lights with LED

How hard is this? Can you just do a straight bulb replacement, or does the whole lamp need to be replaced?

Alternatively: do they sell tint film you can overlay to change the hue of the fog lights to something which more closely matches the Xenon headlights on a '13 Sedan?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by G_Luv
How hard is this? Can you just do a straight bulb replacement, or does the whole lamp need to be replaced?

Alternatively: do they sell tint film you can overlay to change the hue of the fog lights to something which more closely matches the Xenon headlights on a '13 Sedan?
Do you have a sport front bumper or a regular bumper? An alternative would be LED fog lights that replace the entire stock housing and fit OEM, look OEM and match the HID headlights very well. I had them on my previous coupe and they sell it for the sedan as well from The Retrofit Source, see below.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...to-xb-led.html

The link above is for a round fog light which may be your application if you have a regular G37x bumper. The on I needed for my coupe had a slanted lens, below are pic of it when installed

Name:  FullSizeRender_2.jpg
Views: 5234
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender_3.jpg
Views: 5393
Size:  115.7 KB

FullSizeRender_5.jpg Photo by goonz12 | Photobucket

Name:  FullSizeRender_5.jpg
Views: 7547
Size:  207.9 KB
Old 05-22-2017, 01:17 PM
c1utchh
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm looking into also changing out my fogs. Seems the previous owner had lots of stuff fly into it on the road, so its a very loose housing. I want to keep the housing but change it to LED and the Lens. I currently own a 2012 g37xS sedan.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:39 PM
G_Luv

Goonz-

I have the stock non-sport bumper. I'm looking for a relatively cheap/easy fix (if such a thing exists).

Last edited by G_Luv; 05-22-2017 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (03-16-2021)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:46 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I replaced my stock non-sport coupe bumper fog lights with LEDs from Diode Dynamics. If I remember correctly it wasn't bad. I just went through the wheel well, same as if you were replacing the headlight bulbs.
Diode Dynamics (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Goonz-

I have the stock non-sport bumper. I'm looking for a relatively cheap/easy fix (if such a thing exists).
I hear ya, I mean you can swap out the bulb with that of an LED bulb as seen below and keep the stock housing. I figured replacing the whole housing is a clean and fresh look with a proper and functional beam pattern where as the stock housing is really meant for a halogen. Below are some options for LED bulbs
H11 LED Fog Light Bulbs | H8 LED | H9 CREE LED
Old 05-22-2017, 09:31 PM
G_Luv

Originally Posted by Goonz
I hear ya, I mean you can swap out the bulb with that of an LED bulb as seen below and keep the stock housing. I figured replacing the whole housing is a clean and fresh look with a proper and functional beam pattern where as the stock housing is really meant for a halogen. Below are some options for LED bulbs
H11 LED Fog Light Bulbs | H8 LED | H9 CREE LED
Thanks. Anyone have experience buying from retrofit source? They seem to have a lot of nice options...
Old 05-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Thanks. Anyone have experience buying from retrofit source? They seem to have a lot of nice options...
That should be the only place where you buy your HID needs and other lighting accessories. They are the best and highly reputable.
G_Luv (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:15 PM
G_Luv

Originally Posted by Goonz
That should be the only place where you buy your HID needs and other lighting accessories. They are the best and highly reputable.
Thanks. I've decided to hold off on this for now. I'll do it once one of my stock fog lights goes out. Good to hear retrofit source is legit, I'll keep that in mind down the road.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I've decided to hold off on this for now. I'll do it once one of my stock fog lights goes out.
So the linchpin on this upgrade is the lifespan of a $10 bulb?

OK. That's solid reasoning.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM
G_Luv

Originally Posted by Rochester
So the linchpin on this upgrade is the lifespan of a $10 bulb?

OK. That's solid reasoning.
Uhh, when the replacement bulbs cost $100+ and a conversion kit more than that, yes?

It's not a pressing need, so it can wait.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Uhh, when the replacement bulbs cost $100+
AFAIK, replacement fog bulbs cost less than $10. Where are you buying $100 H11 bulbs?

My point is, do whatever you want, whenever you want... but I'm pretty sure there's no cost equivalency consideration here.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
For those wondering, we have a complete LED housing located here on our site:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...category/1293/

This is the ideal option for the fog light location IMO

Nick C.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:38 PM
G_Luv

Originally Posted by Rochester
AFAIK, replacement fog bulbs cost less than $10. Where are you buying $100 H11 bulbs?

My point is, do whatever you want, whenever you want... but I'm pretty sure there's no cost equivalency consideration here.
Send me a link then, if you're finding them cheaper somewhere. I'm just starting to do research, most sites recommend replacing the housing as well as the bulb. Retrofit, for instance, sells an Infiniti kit for $170. I realize it's not that pricey, but I don't have time to DIY so i need to factor in labor as well.

I mostly am opting to put it off because it's not that big of a deal, imo. I don't live in the Scottish moors or anything so this is mostly a cosmetic thing. That makes it pretty low priority for me.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:46 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Send me a link then, if you're finding them cheaper somewhere. I'm just starting to do research, most sites recommend replacing the housing as well as the bulb. Retrofit, for instance, sells an Infiniti kit for $170. I realize it's not that pricey, but I don't have time to DIY so i need to factor in labor as well.

I mostly am opting to put it off because it's not that big of a deal, imo. I don't live in the Scottish moors or anything so this is mostly a cosmetic thing. That makes it pretty low priority for me.

It's a 1 hour install for beginner's.