Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review 4.083 Final Drive on the 6MT Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:50 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by limequat
I checked fueleconomy.gov for 2009 G37s.
Both coupe and sedan 6 spds are 17/25.
The convertible is 16/24.
I assume this is directly attributable to the gear ratios, but the convertible is also wider (less aerodynamic).

Wow, those numbers seem very low to me. I average almost exactly 20 mpg around town and can get well over 30 mpg on the freeway. And that's with 450 rwhp and I'm also short a gear with the 5AT. Of course if I really decide to use all that HP my mpg have been known to drop into the low teens.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:14 PM
limequat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Wow, those numbers seem very low to me. I average almost exactly 20 mpg around town and can get well over 30 mpg on the freeway. And that's with 450 rwhp and I'm also short a gear with the 5AT. Of course if I really decide to use all that HP my mpg have been known to drop into the low teens.

Do you have embiggened injectors?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by limequat
Do you have embiggened injectors?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Status Update

It's been a couple of months since the gear swap. And although I've only put 600 miles on the G in that time, enough of it has passed to make me realize how much everything is the new normal in driving this car.

That doesn't mean I'm not aware how very much the car has changed, it's just that everything is familiar again. There are no more learning moments for the instincts of when to shift and what to expect from the throttle.

At any moment in the low end of all four low gears, the car is a monster of torque that wasn't there before. I've had this car for over five years now, so I know that. I'm just not surprised anymore.

Still loving this mod.

I was thinking... imagine a stock 6MT Sedan, modified only with rear gears and swaybars. It would be a heck of a sleeper.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I've been meaning to ask, do you need a tune? I've read yes and no. Something about having to play with the tachometer? Idk I could be way off. Mechanically I don't see why you would need a tune, or in my case a retune.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
I've been meaning to ask, do you need a tune? I've read yes and no. Something about having to play with the tachometer? Idk I could be way off. Mechanically I don't see why you would need a tune, or in my case a retune.
I can't imagine why. But if someone has a reasonable explanation for it, I'd be happy to learn more.

Either way... getting the car dyno-tuned is my significant mod planned for 2018.

[edit]

The tune didn't happen until 2021. Later than planned, but that's OK. Stuff happens.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/ecu-tun...e-project.html

Last edited by Rochester; 10-01-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Should have specified for a manual. But even an auto. They are programmed to shift at a certain rpm, I imagine? But we are both 6 speeds so we are good!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

It's been over 3 months since doing this mod. And thanks to a couple of road trips, it's also been over 1500 miles. Seemed a reasonable point to swing back and comment here.

First off, I was planning on having my mechanic swap the diff gear oil after 500 miles. When I tried to get on his schedule, he told me to man-up and do it myself. (sigh) That led to me wanting to get some race-ramps to replace my lame old ramps, so I could get under the rear of the car more conveniently. So I did that a few weeks ago, and these ramps are awesome. Also had to pick up a $5 pump from Harbor Freight, and hit up Amazon for a hex-bit for a 1/2" torque wrench. So many excuses... but now I have none anymore, and plan on doing it soon. Go ahead, judge me. LOL

Other than procrastinating on the gear oil, I have nothing negative to say about this mod. That initial awkwardness is all gone, and driving the car now is a totally normal thing to do. From a stop, shifting all gears, highway passing... it's all good, and normal. The only time I'm keenly aware of the mod is when I try and launch hard. When it hooks up right and the launch is good, the car is neck-snapping fast off the line. What a rush!

I still think this is the best power-mod for the 6MT, hands down.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:30 AM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
So with the stock diff on my 6 speed in 6th gear @ 80 the rpms are exactly 3k

What rpm are you at at 80mph?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AARONHL
So with the stock diff on my 6 speed in 6th gear @ 80 the rpms are exactly 3k

What rpm are you at at 80mph?
But I do know that in 6th gear, 3K occurs at 72 MPH.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
When I tried to get on his schedule, he told me to man-up and do it myself. (sigh)

Make sure to lower the car back to ground level so it fully drains. I had a pretty significant amount drip out when I put it back down. Same thing when you fill it.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

The plan was to use my new ramps. I was going to just stick my finger in the fill hole and figure out where the oil level was, pop the drain, and refill to that point. The car will be at a rake on the ramps for this. Not perfect, but should be good enough.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Glad to hear you are still enjoying this mod. I have been thinking about this mod a bit, especially since I recently won some extra $$$$ from work for sales contests and a regional walk around contest for Nissan. I think I am going to use most of that for an extended warranty and soon some seats since the driver's side rails are supposed to be here sometime this month.

However, I really like the fact that the rpms are low on the highway on this car compared to my Evo that seemed like it was screaming on the hwy with rps similar to what you are getting. Maybe our V6 does not sound so bad cruising at higher rpms at hwy speeds?

I was on vacation in Boston/Nantucket last week and I drove a 6spd. Wrangler all week (everyone has a Jeep or Land Rover on Nantucket for some reason). I was amazed how much more I liked driving my car when I got back. The shifting felt awesome and it felt so much faster than I remembered. Still feels very fast around town. I guess sometimes you just need a point of reference to really appreciate what you already have.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Looking back on this thread, I don't have closure on that post-swap gear oil change.

Here was the car a few months ago, when I put it up on my new ramps and drained the diff.

And here's the drain plug, 1500 miles after the gear change.

So this is the reason they recommend changing the gear oil after a swap. I think maybe because these weren't factory installed, and the gears sat on a shelf oxidizing for who how many years. Whatever, since the gear oil change was so easy, I'll probably do it again next year and see what's up.

Anyway, it's been 6 months, and winter is coming. I can say with confidence that this project has settled into a new normal, and there are no longer any moments which take my breath away. It's all just fun, and respectfully fast. Very fast.

Super happy I upgraded the diff gears.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Hanks for the update!

Quick Reply: Review 4.083 Final Drive on the 6MT Sedan