Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review 4.083 Final Drive on the 6MT Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by zer099
I was thinking about what Rochester had reviewed (a good one at that)
Aw-w-w-w

Want to buy my 3.692 ring & pinion? For that matter, anyone who wants it, let me know. I'll sell it for less than half the cost new.

Probably the only purpose would be a 7AT/RWD G who also has access to a MT diff housing, but not the gears. And someone who's concerned that the Vert 3.9 gears would be too much down low when paired with the automatic transmission. In any event, I got 'em. And for the foreseeable future they're going to do nothing except collect dust in my attic.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-11-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Although I suspect it will, I really can't answer that question. What I can do is recommend you come to the August meet-up and I'll let you see for yourself. It's a long drive from WI, but still do-able. And IMO it would be a worthwhile thing while you are where you are with your car as a hobby.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/upcomin...mmer-meet.html

Then again... letting you see for yourself how it applies to your purposes means high-speed, WOT in the upper gears... er-r-r.
How does it differ for you in the 4-7k rpm range in 2nd and 3rd gear when you accelerate onto the hwy? That should be a pretty good judge for me without having to drive 15 1/2 hours to drive your car a lot faster than it is probably used to. Thanks for the invite though.

And yes 4DRZ, the max MPH for the 4.083 final mani is higher in the first three gears and lower in 4th-6th then the auto's stock gear box. The auto has a quicker stock gear box through the first three gears, the math is correct. Ask Nissan why they did it that way.
On your graph did you change the transmissions you used between transmission 1 and transmission 2 or just what you calculated the gearing to be after changing the final drive? I am struggling to understand why lower gearing (higher number) in the final drive would result in higher gearing (lower number) for the first 3 gears and higher top mph in the first 3 gears. Logically, a lower final drive should result in lower top mph in all gears. Maybe posting up the gearing on a 6spd. manual would help.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:00 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
I would but I already acquired a whole pumpkin from a 2016 nismo 370z auto with a LSD and insane low miles and swapped out the input flange to work with an AWD. Just still juggling if I will lose too much traction. I'm leaning on pulling the trigger and if I don't like it swap back when I get cams at the end of the year (most annoying part is swapping out the front diff).

Your review has honestly been one of the more informative, both here and on the 370z site, that's made me think, really think, about moving not moving to a shorter final.

4DRZ, yes, the gearing is different between tranny 1 and tranny 2, you can see in the info section. They are completely different trannies.

Here is a 6-speed with a 4.082 (red) vs. stock 6-speed with stock 3.692 (blue) final:

Last edited by zer099; 05-11-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added info for 4DRZ
The following 2 users liked this post by zer099:
Birdie (08-07-2020), Daddy Fat Sacs (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
...to drive your car a lot faster than it is probably used to.
LOL. Yes, you're driving skills are surely heroic.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

They are completely different trannies.
Finally! Thank you for understanding my question as your numbers were not making any sense.

LOL. Yes, you're driving skills are surely heroic.
Nothing to do with skill. I was referring to having to drive your street car very fast at track speeds to see if I noticed a difference- something your car is probably not used to.

So do you notice much difference in the 4,000-7,000 rpm range in 2nd and 3rd gears as you accelerate onto the hwy?
Old 05-11-2017, 03:05 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Finally! Thank you for understanding my question as your numbers were not making any sense.
Sure thing, but I did state that in my original post. I will try to be more clear in the future to avoid confusion.

Mani with 4.083 final vs stock auto 3.357 final, 6th gear removed from calculations on auto.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

So do you notice much difference in the 4,000-7,000 rpm range in 2nd and 3rd gears as you accelerate onto the hwy?
I notice that it's pulling just as much harder in every RPM. It's more noticeable in the bottom end of every gear, because I'm just not used to there being that much there. That's the best way I can explain it. Dipping into the upper RPM's in 2nd and 3rd is a rush, and you'll be shifting sooner than you're used to, for sure. Before, if I wanted *****-2-the-walls second gear, I'd try to hold it until 7K and move it hard into 3rd, which doesn't always go so well. But now if I shift in the 6K band, it's a very smooth transition into 3rd. I suppose it's always like that, but now it's all happening that much faster.

I swear my 2-3 shifts are smoother because of it. I was just out with the car a little while ago, and this idea has been creeping up on me that hard-driving shifts are smoother. Every day has been some kind of revelation or new appreciation with these gears.

And to think, I was really anxious about it for the longest time, but kept moving forward on this project anyway.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-11-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:24 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Great thread so far! Subscribed for future updates.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Sure thing, but I did state that in my original post. I will try to be more clear in the future to avoid confusion.
Oh, I did not realize that "Mani" was your shortened way of saying 6 speed manual transmission. Kind of a weird comparison you made between M/T and A/T when Rochester and I were both talking about our 6spd. manuals. But the 2nd graph you posted between two 6spd. transmissions makes more sense.

I notice that it's pulling just as much harder in every RPM. It's more noticeable in the bottom end of every gear, because I'm just not used to there being that much there. That's the best way I can explain it. Dipping into the upper RPM's in 2nd and 3rd is a rush, and you'll be shifting sooner than you're used to, for sure. Before, if I wanted *****-2-the-walls second gear, I'd try to hold it until 7K and move it hard into 3rd, which doesn't always go so well. But now if I shift in the 6K band, it's a vastly smooth transition into 3rd. I suppose it's always like that, but now it's all happening that much faster.

I swear my 2-3 shifts are smoother because of it. I was just out with the car a little while ago, and this idea has been creeping up on me that hard-driving shifts are smoother. Every day has been some kind of revelation or new appreciation with these gears.

And to think, I was really anxious about it for the longest time, but kept moving forward on this project anyway.
Maybe there is hope for me yet with these gears for track days
Old 05-12-2017, 02:10 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Well shoot, now you have me wanting to do this to my coupe.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Have you ever found yourself in a busy intersection with traffic and pedestrians and stoplights all around, where it seems like every moment is a missed opportunity leaving you stuck and frustrated? So when you have a chance to move, you take advantage of the car's capabilities and go... right?

I was in that situation yesterday, in a location we call "12 Corners", due to three busy roads crossing one another in a tight triangle intersection. In that moment, I was immediately self conscious at how the car reacted, even a little scared, because all this new low-end torque made the car launch much more aggressively than I was expecting. In other words... I'm still getting used to these gears. And it still surprises me how significantly it's changed what the car can do.

Wow.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-20-2017 at 10:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (05-09-2018)
Old 05-23-2017, 08:59 AM
limequat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How's your fuel economy been impacted?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by limequat
How's your fuel economy been impacted?
I don't know. Short gears have the potential to reduce overall mileage because RPM's are higher. You might be compensating at lower speeds by choosing a higher gear, but there are only six of them, and there's no getting around it. So if you're in 6th gear and coasting around town at 40 mph, or you're in 6th gear and cruising the highway at 70 mph, you're RPM's will be higher than otherwise.

Overall mileage will certainly go down, but since I don't do a lot of highway driving, I suspect the changes will be negligible.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:00 AM
limequat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I checked fueleconomy.gov for 2009 G37s.
Both coupe and sedan 6 spds are 17/25.
The convertible is 16/24.
I assume this is directly attributable to the gear ratios, but the convertible is also wider (less aerodynamic).
Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by limequat
I checked fueleconomy.gov for 2009 G37s.
Both coupe and sedan 6 spds are 17/25.
The convertible is 16/24.
I assume this is directly attributable to the gear ratios, but the convertible is also wider (less aerodynamic).
Pretty sure the 6MT Vert gets the shorter 3.916 gears because it weighs 400 pounds more than the 6MT Sedan & Coupe with the 3.692 final drive. Otherwise, it would feel like a slug by comparison when rowing through the gears. That's my guess. If you've ever driven around with two adults in your back seats, you know exactly what that's like.

If you look at the automatic transmission gear ratios for the Vert compared to the Sedan, they're identical. I suppose the 7AT Vert experience can be tweaked via software to the transmission for a more aggressive automatic shifting behavior between gears. I don't know if Infiniti does that, but I do know the 6MT shiftpoints are up to the driver.

http://infinitihelp.com/models/2011/...ifications.php
http://infinitihelp.com/models/2011/...ifications.php

It's kind of amazing that with shorter gears and an added 400 pounds, the mileage drop for the 6MT Vert is only one MPG. That probably answers your question, too, as well as anybody else who's worried about a drop in mileage. But I can't give you hard numbers.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-23-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Review 4.083 Final Drive on the 6MT Sedan