Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Replacing water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
My wifes maxima leaks a little water in the winter time. It comes out of the weep hole in the block and ends up in the driveway. Look closely at the side of the block and see if you see any coolant streaks.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:45 AM
latino914
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Update!
hey guys, so water pump has been replaced as well as thermostat, serpentine belt, serpentine belt tensioner, timing chain tensioner, radiator hoses, a seal and a gasket(picture). Pressure test done and no leak. But now the vehicle seems to be going into limp mode or something and won't rev past 3k rpm, and jerks back violently when trying to do so. Disconnected battery and checked any loose connections and still same thing. Giving code P0021. So what could this be? Just a reminder my car didn't have any problem like this before replacing the water pump.... Old serpentine belt tensioner

Old 05-05-2017, 01:52 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
why was the camshaft sensor and mounting plate removed when you were replacing the water pump?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:52 AM
latino914
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
why was the camshaft sensor and mounting plate removed when you were replacing the water pump?
He told me that it was leaking a bit of oil from there so he replaced the gasket.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:50 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Googling p0021 refers to timing over advanced. My guess is cam shaft timing is off. When assembling, there's very specifics steps that must be followed to make sure everything is in correct phase.

What's more troubling is they released the car this way to you...
Old 05-05-2017, 05:14 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Well, I learned something from this post....

There IS a small hole in the rear timing cover that connects to the typical "weeping hole" on the water pump. It is possible to see a failed water pump leaking as coolant will drip from the front of the engine.

As for the P0021, I suspect the timing chain may not be in proper alignment for bank 2. (the side with the water pump)
The following 2 users liked this post by SonicVQ:
cf144 (07-22-2023), Papichulonica (04-04-2021)
Old 05-05-2017, 07:34 PM
latino914
Registered Member

So for everyone out there, it is possible for the water pump to leak on our cars. The code seemed to be the crankshaft sensor that had oil all over it. Car is all good now. No coolant leaks as well. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
the fault code you listed above is for the camshaft sensor not crankshaft sensor. they are different sensors. and to answer your question about the water pump it can leak externally, i have seen it on vq engines on maximas. usually its not very common, majority of the time its because the owner/driver is lazy or too cheap to service the cooling sys. coolant is not only meant to act as a heat exchange it is also there to lubricate the water pump bearing and seal/gaskets in the cooling sys.
The following users liked this post:
cf144 (07-22-2023)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:12 PM
FrreeeBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my 2012 G37, leaking coolant, stealership tells me I need a new water pump but quoted me $2900 for the job.

How long can I limp around on a bad water pump for? Trying to get quotes from other shops before I pay 3k for a $100 part to be replaced...
Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 AM
tdoug

I just went through the water pump mess on my 2010 G37 X. I was changing the brakes and noticed drips of antifreeze on the ground. I couldn't tell where it was coming from except that there was antifreeze all over the bottom of the motor after i pulled the plastic covering.

I took it to the dealer and confirmed it is the water pump. There is a weep hole that allow the coolant to escape when it goes bad. It is "internal" but not so internal that when it leaks it goes into your oil. It is a big job and required a loaner for a day and a half. I would not attempt to do it yourself if i were you, as you need to loosen the timing chain, etc. and its a tight fit to get in there. Be ready to shell out some serious cash for it. I would rather have infiniti do it so I can easily get another loaner/have them correct it if they jack it up.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...lant-leak.html
Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
It's not your average driveway diy. You can go YouTube and search. It's quite complicated as you have to loosen the tensioner and chains can fall off sprocket and cause timing issue.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:56 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Would the Elite Warranty cover water pump failure?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^It better. Or powertrain if the car is still under warranty.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 PM
UserNamee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^The part itself is rather cheap compared to the hours of labor involved.

If coolant is leaving the system through some means, unless it's getting burned, there still has to be some physical evidence of this. The pump itself is just an impeller of sorts (look at this link for pics) driven by the timing chain . If either of the sealing seals are leaking, coolant would be mixing with the oil.

It's a tough call to make. How much is the labor portion of the repair bill? If that doesn't fix it, are you out the money?
Agreed. You can find the OE water pump itself can be found online at a very budget friendly price. Here's an example of one I found online. There are a lot of OEM sources online but this one is my go to option when I'm looking for parts. https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/pa...oupe&Filter=()
Old 11-13-2017, 08:25 PM
sugargenius

Originally Posted by tdoug
I just went through the water pump mess on my 2010 G37 X. I was changing the brakes and noticed drips of antifreeze on the ground. I couldn't tell where it was coming from except that there was antifreeze all over the bottom of the motor after i pulled the plastic covering.

I took it to the dealer and confirmed it is the water pump. There is a weep hole that allow the coolant to escape when it goes bad. It is "internal" but not so internal that when it leaks it goes into your oil. It is a big job and required a loaner for a day and a half. I would not attempt to do it yourself if i were you, as you need to loosen the timing chain, etc. and its a tight fit to get in there. Be ready to shell out some serious cash for it. I would rather have infiniti do it so I can easily get another loaner/have them correct it if they jack it up.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...lant-leak.html
What did the dealer charge you?