Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

PSA for silicone radiator hoses

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:14 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 154 Likes on 103 Posts
PSA for silicone radiator hoses

UPDATE- Please see Post #48

Please see Post #99 for coolant clamp info

Heads up for anyone else running silicone radiator hoses. I'm working with Z1 to figure out what happened and it sounds like they are going to make things right, but my Z1 silicone radiator hoses started seeping coolant through.

My hoses were installed (new) along with a full flush and fill using OEM blue Nissan coolant around 5k miles ago. The spots slowly started to form after driving some, and now is causing a slow drop in my coolant levels from the seeping occurring. I just wanted to share this for anyone else who's noticed spotting on their silicone rad hoses. It is happening on both my upper and lower rad hoses from Z1.

Pic of my silicone radiator hose from Z1:

Last edited by goldbug; 06-11-2023 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The OEM hardware are simple spring-clamps designed for a particular clamping force, whereas those worm clamps will be as tight as you can make them. My point being, did you over-tighten those worm clamps?

Years ago I was experiencing intermittent coolant leakage in the upper hose because of a pair of T-Bolts. Didn't matter how tight or loose I cranked them down, it was causing a leak. So I went back to the OEM spring-clamps, which fixed it. Later, when P2M came out with small diameter clamps, I went with those and have never had a problem.

Those worm clamps are cheap looking anyway... probably look better with the OEM spring clamps, IMO. Just for the heck of it, put the OEM clamps back on, wipe things down and reassess.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:44 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The OEM hardware are simple spring-clamps designed for a particular clamping force, whereas those worm clamps will be as tight as you can make them. My point being, did you over-tighten those worm clamps?

Years ago I was experiencing intermittent coolant leakage in the upper hose because of a pair of T-Bolts. Didn't matter how tight or loose I cranked them down, it was causing a leak. So I went back to the OEM spring-clamps, which fixed it. Later, when P2M came out with small diameter clamps, I went with those and have never had a problem.

Those worm clamps are cheap looking anyway... probably look better with the OEM spring clamps, IMO. Just for the heck of it, put the OEM clamps back on, wipe things down and reassess.
The seeping is occurring in the silicone of the Z1 hose, there's no leaking near the clamps (this time). Checked the clamps aren't overtightened, my first guess was a leak and it was spraying onto the hose, but the spotting is fully around the hose and definitely coming out of the hoses.

I would have used OEM spring clamps if I had done it myself which I will be next time- I had a shop install my heater hose and knock this out at the same time, so I guess they decided to use worm gears- I wasn't happy seeing them when I picked it up and will be swapping those out shortly.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Micro cracks in the rubber itself? Wow. That's bonkers.

GL, Goldbug.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:16 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
FYI this unfortunately happens with ALL silicone hoses. I've had many of multiple brands do this.
Internal and external heat events with decent pressure create this over time.
I wonder how Z1 will remedy this. On another note pay close attention to your cooling system as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by BULL:
goldbug (07-26-2021), Krzysztof47 (06-28-2023)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:37 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
+1 for what Bull describes. Water has a strong tendency to permeate silicone hoses. Unless those hoses were the result of a "bad batch" I don't see how Z1 can make things right. Permeation in silicone hoses is a given trait... down to the molecular level.

Best of luck 'bug.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
goldbug (07-26-2021), petemo94 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 12:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Never knew that could happen, but BULL has the experience and ILM-NC G27S has the science, so there it is. Tweaked your thread title, Goldbug.

Reading something like this is more than enough to dissuade people (me ) from getting aftermarket radiator hoses.
The following users liked this post:
G-MENTED (11-21-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:04 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

I wouldn’t be ordering Z1 hoses if knew someone else was having this or a similar issue, so I just wanted to share my experience so others could avoid the same headache if it does turn out to be a faulty batch of silicone hoses (or even just mine) from Z1. I was using freshly filled OEM blue coolant and have no major mods done. Still better to have the info out there if it happens to others - I know most owners probably do not inspect their hoses regularly.

By no means am I knocking Z1, they immediately took interest and are willing to work with me and find out the true cause. Great customer service as I’ve almost always had in the past with them.

Keywords are updates to follow. I have not heard back from Z1 with an update yet. It sounded like they will at least be sending me a replacement hose but I’ll share what they say as soon as I hear back from them again.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:34 AM
BULL
Moderador

That's really the only thing they can do in with this issues.
Reason why it's a hit or miss is due to the vehicles cooling system.
A failing system would see more of this.
Most folks ignore these depending on how severe this problem is.

My cheap ebay ones require tightening of the clamps monthly or so.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:23 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I wonder if the shop that installed the hoses might have accidentally diluted the OEM blue? Water will permeate through a silicone hose a lot faster than glycol will.

Just thinking out loud...
Old 07-27-2021, 11:39 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by BULL
That's really the only thing they can do in with this issues.
Reason why it's a hit or miss is due to the vehicles cooling system.
A failing system would see more of this.
Most folks ignore these depending on how severe this problem is.

My cheap ebay ones require tightening of the clamps monthly or so.
Completely understand that. I had honestly not known how porous silicone was when compared to rubber, so I understand I will be seeing a slow drop in coolant overtime, but am more concerned with if the hose is deteriorating and/or causing possible damage to the cooling system as a result of the spotting happening. This article linked below doesn't cite any sources for the info used, but still explains it for others like myself. I might be trying out some HPS or Samco hoses next- if anyone has experience with either I'd like to hear feedback. HPS was recommended by my tuner. I was avoiding going with another OEM replacement since my car won't be NA for too much longer.

https://motoiq.com/silicone-radiator...or-the-street/

Appreciate the supportive help.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:40 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I wonder if the shop that installed the hoses might have accidentally diluted the OEM blue? Water will permeate through a silicone hose a lot faster than glycol will.

Just thinking out loud...
Wow thank you for bringing that up, really good call, not sure how I didn't think of that haha. Let me give them a call and get some coolant test strips...but that could have 100% happened. The extra dilution prob isn't doing any harm to anything but the silicone hoses if so.

And this is why we DIY.

Last edited by goldbug; 07-27-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Thats a really good point, some old-school mechanics treat blue like its green and dilute it. Hopefully, that is the issue. I just installed a set myself, nothing similar happening though. Going to keep my eyes on my hoses. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:40 AM
BULL
Moderador

My engine stand is running ebay special hoses with some diluted coolant. It's seen 230F and I constantly have left it with hot coolant overnight.
The issue I believe is more external + the previous events as well. When you add all of this to a hose that's in the path of the inferno that these fans ventilate you will see it suffer.
If the new hose continues to do this you might have to rethink and either switch to another hose or take a look at your cooling system.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:37 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by BULL
My engine stand is running ebay special hoses with some diluted coolant. It's seen 230F and I constantly have left it with hot coolant overnight.
The issue I believe is more external + the previous events as well. When you add all of this to a hose that's in the path of the inferno that these fans ventilate you will see it suffer.
If the new hose continues to do this you might have to rethink and either switch to another hose or take a look at your cooling system.
Yup, exactly where I'm headed now. I have some coolant test strips coming in the mail so I'll test it as soon as they come in. This is also a good excuse for me to go ahead and upgrade to a new radiator, so I'll probably do that at the same time now. I did notice the blue premix 50/50 coolant has a giant "do not add water" note on it which I understand maybe a default safety label, but could the over-dilution be causing the problem for this specific coolant....also were you using the premix coolant and diluting it further or the green or a different coolant?

Quick Reply: PSA for silicone radiator hoses