Bilstein B16 (PSS10) coilover suspension available soon for sedans!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:20 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I have always had good luck with TireRack for wheels, tires, and brakes for a long time, so this was surprising. I guess that is why they don't call it "suspension rack."

I have heard good things about KW V3's, but I think those and Ohlins are pretty pricey if I remember right. I thought Stance were pretty harsh on the street. I don't know anything about Fortune Auto.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you're in the $1700 range might kit it up another notch and look into the Aragostas that Ape Factory is running, from simply a quality standpoint they are top notch all the way, so for another $600 ($2300) you should be running a unmatched setup. I'd shoot Ape a PM for his latest impressions.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...g37-coupe.html
Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I have always had good luck with TireRack for wheels, tires, and brakes for a long time, so this was surprising. I guess that is why they don't call it "suspension rack."

I have heard good things about KW V3's, but I think those and Ohlins are pretty pricey if I remember right. I thought Stance were pretty harsh on the street. I don't know anything about Fortune Auto.
The Stances can be selected with whatever Swift springs you wanted and custom valving, would be around $1400. I'm planning on going with Stance XR1s with 12/8k Swift's.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
If you're in the $1700 range might kit it up another notch and look into the Aragostas that Ape Factory is running, from simply a quality standpoint they are top notch all the way, so for another $600 ($2300) you should be running a unmatched setup. I'd shoot Ape a PM for his latest impressions.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...g37-coupe.html
Thanks for the recommendation, but my luck with Japanese coilovers has not been the greatest. These Tein Basis are actually the best so far and pretty good on 95% of the roads, it's just that two of the main roads I drive every day are of the 5% of new roads that are bouncy.

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
The Stances can be selected with whatever Swift springs you wanted and custom valving, would be around $1400. I'm planning on going with Stance XR1s with 12/8k Swift's.
Let me know how these ride as I have been in a few cars with Stance coilovers and they were not too great on the street.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I called Bilstein today to get some more information on this suspension. Fortunately, they knew a lot more about the kit than Tire Rack did.

They run 340 lb springs on the front and 515 lb springs on the rear and they are progressive springs. They also confirmed that the ride height does not change independently of the spring pre-load. In other words, if you change the ride height you also change the spring compression.

The Tein Basis I have now runs 9 KG (504 lb) springs up front and 8 KG (448 lb) springs in the rear. This could explain some of the bounciness I experience up front on newer bouncy roads. I think with the ability to change the dampening on the Bilsteins they might ride quite a bit better on the street. I think I should also be able to firm them up more for the track too. However, at roughly 3 times the cost of the Tein Basis, it is an expensive experiment.

I believe the Tein Basis springs are linear (Jim at ZSpeed agrees) which are a little more predictable for me on track on initial turn in, but also tend to ride a bit more stiff on the street.

The guy at Bilstein said this is the best riding coilover on the street that they make so hopefully, they would be an improvement. Off to search for more reviews...
Old 04-07-2017, 06:21 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

I called Bilstein today to get some more information on this suspension. Fortunately, they knew a lot more about the kit than Tire Rack did.

They run 340 lb springs on the front and 515 lb springs on the rear and they are progressive springs. They also confirmed that the ride height does not change independently of the spring pre-load. In other words, if you change the ride height you also change the spring compression.

The Tein Basis I have now runs 9 KG (504 lb) springs up front and 8 KG (448 lb) springs in the rear. This could explain some of the bounciness I experience up front on newer bouncy roads. I think with the ability to change the dampening on the Bilsteins they might ride quite a bit better on the street. I think I should also be able to firm them up more for the track too. However, at roughly 3 times the cost of the Tein Basis, it is an expensive experiment.

I believe the Tein Basis springs are linear (Jim at ZSpeed agrees) which are a little more predictable for me on track on initial turn in, but also tend to ride a bit more stiff on the street.

The guy at Bilstein said this is the best riding coilover on the street that they make so hopefully, they would be an improvement. Off to search for more reviews...
KWv3 also uses progressive springs. I switched up from the Stance XR1 and ordered the Fortune Auto 500 true-type w/ 11/8k Swift springs. I'll be running SPL FUCA, SPL rear camber arms, SPL rear toe arms, and the SPL eccentric lockout kit.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

How do you like your variant 3's on the street/track? I like the Tein Basis a lot most of the time and I think it is quite good for this car on the track. 85% of the time or so it is great on the street, but on newer bouncy roads with bad seams it does bounce a bit. How are the KW3's on these types of bouncy roads?
Old 04-08-2017, 10:25 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

How do you like your variant 3's on the street/track? I like the Tein Basis a lot most of the time and I think it is quite good for this car on the track. 85% of the time or so it is great on the street, but on newer bouncy roads with bad seams it does bounce a bit. How are the KW3's on these types of bouncy roads?
Oh, I don't have KWv3 myself. I have been in a 6MT sedan with them and it ride pretty well for the most part. The only thing is, at their max height in the rear, you're pretty much slammed. Can't even get a single finger in there, you'll need the KW spacers.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Oh, I don't have KWv3 myself. I have been in a 6MT sedan with them and it ride pretty well for the most part. The only thing is, at their max height in the rear, you're pretty much slammed. Can't even get a single finger in there, you'll need the KW spacers.
So it rode ok on bouncy roads? How does the KW Spacer work? I am trying to picture this on a suspension. My car will see some track use so I do not want to give up any performance or reliability.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:31 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

So it rode ok on bouncy roads? How does the KW Spacer work? I am trying to picture this on a suspension. My car will see some track use so I do not want to give up any performance or reliability.
Yeah for the most part. If you want, you can wait until I receive and install my Fortune Auto 500 true type, and I'll provide some feedback on those. I have a 6MT sedan as well.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:30 PM
transportchef
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I currently have a 2k11 6mt on the pss10. I have had dr2, swift springs/kyb struts and kw3. The kw3 are by far the best riding and performing of the bunch. As stated earlier at the highest setting they are still slammed. Thereby scrubbing my driveway on average 4 times a day entering leaving.
The bilstein are a decent alternative. to get 80% of the kw3 performance I have dampening set at hardest level. Since it is a soft setup that seems to cure the really bouncy hits. Its still there just somewhat subdued.
I still have the kw3 in basement just in case I redo driveway. Thats how much I love them. The wife is itching to do a basement cleanout though.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yeah for the most part. If you want, you can wait until I receive and install my Fortune Auto 500 true type, and I'll provide some feedback on those. I have a 6MT sedan as well.
Can you clarify a little bit more on new roads with bad seams that are bouncy as a result? Usually these are higher speed roads in town 45-50mph and not highway or city roads where I notice it on my Tein Basis. Also, how do the spacers work on the KW3's?

Originally Posted by transportchef
I currently have a 2k11 6mt on the pss10. I have had dr2, swift springs/kyb struts and kw3. The kw3 are by far the best riding and performing of the bunch. As stated earlier at the highest setting they are still slammed. Thereby scrubbing my driveway on average 4 times a day entering leaving.
The bilstein are a decent alternative. to get 80% of the kw3 performance I have dampening set at hardest level. Since it is a soft setup that seems to cure the really bouncy hits. Its still there just somewhat subdued.
I still have the kw3 in basement just in case I redo driveway. Thats how much I love them. The wife is itching to do a basement cleanout though.
How would you say the PSS10's ride on the newer city roads w/ bad seams that are bouncy as a result? Mainly 45-50mph roads in town. What performance do you think you are losing in PSS10's vs. KW3's? Do you know about the spacers for KW3's?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:35 PM
transportchef
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On newer roads it isn't bad. There will be some dip. At night you would see your lights bouncing more than the feel of the car. Its not bad just wouldn't expect it from the weight of the brand. The pss10 are about 80% of the performance of the kw3. Good but not as great as the Kw3. Called about spacers and they started talking about not warranting them. Due to operating outside of specified norm.

I will probably look at replacing the springs in the future. Someone reported that they are a bit soft 300ish. That would more than likely make them contenders to the kw3. Mine are available if you want to try. I am procrastinating on doing anymore mods to car. Simply don't have the time or energy to do anymore.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:54 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by transportchef
On newer roads it isn't bad. There will be some dip. At night you would see your lights bouncing more than the feel of the car. Its not bad just wouldn't expect it from the weight of the brand. The pss10 are about 80% of the performance of the kw3. Good but not as great as the Kw3. Called about spacers and they started talking about not warranting them. Due to operating outside of specified norm.

I will probably look at replacing the springs in the future. Someone reported that they are a bit soft 300ish. That would more than likely make them contenders to the kw3. Mine are available if you want to try. I am procrastinating on doing anymore mods to car. Simply don't have the time or energy to do anymore.
The ride at night with the lights bouncing sounds a lot like my Teins on those types of roads. Oddly enough, they feel very much like stock everywhere else. I guess I might just have to suck it up with the Teins, especially since I don't have to worry about spacers or soft springs on the track.

Any chance you live anywhere near WI so I could go for a ride to compare?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:19 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I was on Tirerack the other day and discovered the new PSS10 Bilstein coilover suspension was listed as a fitment for my 2013: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...oModClar=Sport
You haven't looked at the Sedan Coil-over list in the Brakes and Suspension forum?