Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM Radio reception in 2009 G37 - radio, or XM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep I have an 09 as well and am experiencing the same problems. I got the car a little over a year ago and never had any issues until about March of this year and now the signal randomly drops with open skies above me.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:38 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It must be the older ones, then. As said above, my '09 still has issues. Infiniti dealer checked antenna and said it was fine.

The other day I listened to XM for the first time in months and went about 1/2 hour straight without a drop! I was thinking maybe XM had cranked up the signal a bit. Then it dropped out bad, and was choppy until I got home. I don't think I'll be renewing XM on my '09 G37.

And still confirming that our 2016 QX50 still works like a champ.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 07-20-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-17-2018, 05:54 PM
G.dirty.7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I've had my G37 (see tagline) since it was new and have had XM Radio active since day one. Sure, it cuts out under bridges and thick trees, but never (or rarely) on the open road.

In the last 6-9 months it's been cutting out big time, and randomly. Sometimes I can drive 20 minutes without a cutout, other times I cannot even tell what song is playing in a 2-minute time window, I'll hear more silence than music - and this is on an open road with blue skies - like northbound on I35 between Austin and Dallas.

I have called XM and yes, they've "sent a signal" to the radio a few times but it makes no difference. I took it to my Infiniti dealership today and the tested the radio, wiring, and antenna and all checked out okay.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? If it doesn't start working I plan to turn the service off.

On the slip side - the XM radio in my wife's 2016 QX50 works fine - no cutouts at all - at least none I've heard, and none she's complained about.

This is posted on the sirusxm.com website:

"SiriusXM is reconfiguring the Sirius satellite network to the same configuration as the XM satellite network. Some Sirius satellite radio listeners may experience brief periods of occasional sound muting while driving through heavily forested or mountainous regions. If you have a Sirius satellite receiver and were driving through a heavily forested or mountainous region when you experienced audio muting, please fill out the form at listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/ask to submit your feedback to our engineering team." - I did that.

I have also had the same issues for the last 2years. I have a 2011 g37 base w XM. **** sucks. I've found that cell phone towers are my issue....everytime my radio states "no signal" I just turn my head left, right, behind me or just look ahead. ALWAYS a tower within a quarter to half mile.
anyone try splicing the stock antenna cable with aftermarket one? Thank you in advance
Old 06-22-2018, 12:09 AM
acesk8er

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem, dealer fixed it just before the Infiniti Elite warranty expired. IIRC they said the shark fin antenna's water seal wasn't assembled correctly and that over time moisture ingress degraded reception. They also said that it would have been an expensive repair if I were out of pocket, as it required them to remove and reinstall the headliner.

This information probably doesn't help since you're all most likely out of warranty but at least now you know why it's happening.

I'm not a subscriber but the recent Memorial Day preview came in just fine.

Last edited by acesk8er; 06-22-2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:40 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by acesk8er
I had the same problem, dealer fixed it just before the Infiniti Elite warranty expired. IIRC they said the shark fin antenna's water seal wasn't assembled correctly and that over time moisture ingress degraded reception. They also said that it would have been an expensive repair if I were out of pocket, as it required them to remove and reinstall the headliner.

This information probably doesn't help since you're all most likely out of warranty but at least now you know why it's happening.

I'm not a subscriber but the recent Memorial Day preview came in just fine.
Brah we all removed our headliners years ago for weigh reduction purposes!
Old 06-22-2018, 02:43 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Made me laugh.