ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Dyno Tune vs Street Tune & RWD Switch for Dyno.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:45 AM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Dyno Tune vs Street Tune & RWD Switch for Dyno.

Long shot here. However, I thought i'd try.

I'm nowhere near an AWD Dyno (8+ hours one way). I have the Gen 3 intakes and GT Haus CBE, I'll have Fast Intentions test pipes by end of Feb.

Performance mod wise, I won't theoretically be doing anything else until I can spring on a supercharger or turbo and I have the Uprev Osiris Tuner sitting at my house. Most likely supercharger.

What is everyone's experience with Street Tuning vs Dyno Tuning? I'll be doing the AWD/Traction Switch soon. However, I'm unsure if I want to change my car to RWD only to use a RWD Dyno, as we have a couple good ones I trust in the city. Although, in theory nothing should go wrong. Has anyone tried this? I personally wouldn't be doing the Street tune, a friend that did it on his 350 would.

I'm not opposed to driving the 8+ hours for the Dyno if that is the recommendation, as I've driven further 14+ hours one way to get to a car show for the weekend. It's just a hassle I'd like to avoid if I can.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Another option would be to do a 'remote street tune'. You get in touch with a legit tuner, send them some base files, car info, etc. They send you a base tune, you do some 3rd gear pulls on the street while logging and send the data back. They make changes and you do this 4-5 times until they're happy and call it done.

Much safer than having someone who doesn't know what they're doing mess with your car.

Then when you go FI, get a proper dyno tune with same software/tuner.
The following users liked this post:
gavingw (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:14 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Street tune is always better IMO, you do get number to show but "real" world conditions are on the street. Any great tuner will use a dyno to get the runs in then use the street to dial it in 100%. An that legit tuner would Seb @ Specialty Z.

His Etune on my was GREAT, 314 WHP from a AWD thing just ripped
gavingw (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:44 PM
gavingw

Originally Posted by Splitter
Another option would be to do a 'remote street tune'. You get in touch with a legit tuner, send them some base files, car info, etc. They send you a base tune, you do some 3rd gear pulls on the street while logging and send the data back. They make changes and you do this 4-5 times until they're happy and call it done.

Much safer than having someone who doesn't know what they're doing mess with your car.

Then when you go FI, get a proper dyno tune with same software/tuner.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Street tune is always better IMO, you do get number to show but "real" world conditions are on the street. Any great tuner will use a dyno to get the runs in then use the street to dial it in 100%. An that legit tuner would Seb @ Specialty Z.

His Etune on my was GREAT, 314 WHP from a AWD thing just ripped
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Mind me asking what the cost was?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 AM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Send an email to Seb from Specialty Z for pricing. I also had my remote street tune done by him with my AWD supercharger setup and it runs great. Btw, sell the Uprev kit and purchase an EcuTek one, especially if you intend on going with the stillen supercharger.
gavingw (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by gavingw
Thanks!

Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Mind me asking what the cost was?
Mine was only $250 but I already had the bought the ECUTEK software, if your buying the ECUTEK and tuning it'll be around $700-800. Worth it!
gavingw (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:13 PM
gavingw

Originally Posted by milkcow500
Send an email to Seb from Specialty Z for pricing. I also had my remote street tune done by him with my AWD supercharger setup and it runs great. Btw, sell the Uprev kit and purchase an EcuTek one, especially if you intend on going with the stillen supercharger.
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Mine was only $250 but I already had the bought the ECUTEK software, if your buying the ECUTEK and tuning it'll be around $700-800. Worth it!
Thanks! Ya. I spoke with Seb a bit this weekend about my end of the day performance goals and such. Looks like I may end up selling my Uprev. He also recommended I go twin turbo for my long-term performance goals, with the same comment that EcuTek will be a better option.

He also said that he doesn't e-tune with Uprev as the logging capabilities aren't nearly as good.

Trending Topics

Old 01-25-2017, 06:04 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
I have a awd and understand your struggle. I thought about doing the rwd switch also but haven't started it yet. I got dyno tuned couple times with uprev at z1 and they just removed driveshaft and I think turned off the front wheels to use rwd dyno (not sure if they did anything electronically).
Old 02-04-2017, 12:35 AM
Awgd8

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have an ECUTEK Etune too since June 2015 in my 2015 Q40 AWD. I would say, It is F... worth it!