Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Navigation install

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:49 PM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Blaze -

Can you provide any details on how you got the Nexus 7 to display on your non-Nav screen? Where did you get this done and how much did it cost?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:50 PM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

I'd like to know how the Nexus 7 was tied into the non-Nav screen as well. Anyone else have this done?
Old 07-18-2020, 06:45 AM
Levi4689
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it really that hard to swap to the navigation system? I don’t really know that’s why I was looking but can’t you just buy the navigation radio system off a g that already has it for a few hundred and then swap it in? I’ve seen the system along with the screen and controls on eBay for only like a couple hundred. I also know that Bluetooth audio streaming is bundled with the nav so if you want that you have to get the Nav package which correct me if I’m wrong but I think can just buy it swap it in and have nav and Bluetooth. I’m not sure, can someone that knows please help?

Last edited by Levi4689; 07-18-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:52 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Levi4689, this topic has been asked and answered countless times over. A quick search of the forum will yield tons of information about swapping. That said, a few short answers:

1) Can/Has it be done? YES
2) Is it "plug-and-play?" NO
3) Is it worth it? Depends on what you want to gain.

If all you want is:
- BT audio: there are far cheaper and easier alternatives;
- NAV: use your phone: always up-to-date and easier;

For me, having the USB made it worth my while when I swapped. I have never once used the NAV and extremely rarely use the BT. I use the USB 98% of the time. Your needs will vary. In the end, you have to make that call if it is worth it or not.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:43 AM
Levi4689
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Levi4689, this topic has been asked and answered countless times over. A quick search of the forum will yield tons of information about swapping. That said, a few short answers:

1) Can/Has it be done? YES
2) Is it "plug-and-play?" NO
3) Is it worth it? Depends on what you want to gain.

If all you want is:
- BT audio: there are far cheaper and easier alternatives;
- NAV: use your phone: always up-to-date and easier;

For me, having the USB made it worth my while when I swapped. I have never once used the NAV and extremely rarely use the BT. I use the USB 98% of the time. Your needs will vary. In the end, you have to make that call if it is worth it or not.

ILM-NC G37S, I know you may think it’s not worth it but I’m considering it for the OEM Bluetooth audio. It’ll just look a lot cleaner then having some make shift aux wired in or something. And it also looks to be relatively inexpensive considering it’s OEM, correct me if I’m wrong. You said you use the usb? How does that work because without the nav the usb WILL NOT work as an aux. Does the nav turn it into an aux? Also you said it’s not plug and play? How so? Since you’ve had it done can you briefly explain how it was done real quick. I thought you could just buy the navigation head unit off a g37 sedan that already had navigation along with the new navigation controls and keep your same screen and radio/AC controls then you have nav and Bluetooth. See pictures below for reference.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:13 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Full disclosure: I am not a audiophile. I'm content with the stock Bose system. That said:

The USB is not a AUX input, per se. I have a 128gb microSD card loaded up with tons of mp3 and mp4 files and use it that way. I don't use any of that streaming "cloud-based" crap so I can't offer advice there. And I totally agree that having a console box full of adapters and cables is a PITA (another reason I ditched Apple's iGarbage).

Yes, it will look cleaner and may offer the functionality you desire. However, as mentioned before it is NOT a plug-and-play affair. Your existing wiring harnesses WILL have to be modified. Wires will have to changed/added. Then there's parts:

- headunit;
- integrated switch panel (the one with the clock);
- multifunction switch panel (the dial one- they are NOT interchangeable);
- you might need the display;
- GPS antenna (if you want NAV functionality);
- USB jack AND special cable (if you want USB functionality);
- various wires/cables/connectors that your non-NAV will not have.

When I upgraded my 2008, I was lucky in that I found a full 2014 system that I was able to source and install. That, combined with the headrest speakers I installed leaves me totally satisfied. If you are skilled at reading wiring schematics, have soldering skills, and are comfortable working with electronics, then by all means consider the job.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-20-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:16 AM
Levi4689
Registered Member

Bluetooth Audio

Hey ILM-NC G37S, you mentioned that if all I wanted was bt audio that there were far cheaper and easier solutions. What are those solutions? I’ve ruled out getting the factory nav. I wouldn’t use it anyways. All I want at this point is Bluetooth audio. Anyone know how I can get this done?
Old 07-25-2020, 11:04 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
Something like this?
Amazon Amazon

It's a one-way deal though, no skip control from the steering wheel. And no guarantee it will even work or sound very good, but at that price it may be worth a try. There seem to be a few different versions of that device, and /or stereo mini plug to USB, so take your pick...
Old 08-18-2021, 08:19 PM
devinr
Registered Member

Full disclosure: I am not a audiophile. I'm content with the stock Bose system. That said:

The USB is not a AUX input, per se. I have a 128gb microSD card loaded up with tons of mp3 and mp4 files and use it that way. I don't use any of that streaming "cloud-based" crap so I can't offer advice there. And I totally agree that having a console box full of adapters and cables is a PITA (another reason I ditched Apple's iGarbage).

Yes, it will look cleaner and may offer the functionality you desire. However, as mentioned before it is NOT a plug-and-play affair. Your existing wiring harnesses WILL have to be modified. Wires will have to changed/added. Then there's parts:

- headunit;
- integrated switch panel (the one with the clock);
- multifunction switch panel (the dial one- they are NOT interchangeable);
- you might need the display;
- GPS antenna (if you want NAV functionality);
- USB jack AND special cable (if you want USB functionality);
- various wires/cables/connectors that your non-NAV will not have.

When I upgraded my 2008, I was lucky in that I found a full 2014 system that I was able to source and install. That, combined with the headrest speakers I installed leaves me totally satisfied. If you are skilled at reading wiring schematics, have soldering skills, and are comfortable working with electronics, then by all means consider the job.
I know this is an old thread but I’m giving the 2009 no nav to 2013 with nav/Bluetooth/touchscreen swap a try. I’m wondering what the gps antenna might look like. I found a scrap 2013 that I can strip all the parts from just not sure what those two might be looking like. If you could help me out I’d love to talk and get some insight !
Old 08-18-2021, 08:34 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Hey @devinr , sorry for the delay-I just saw your message (watching Big Brother, lol). I will help in any way I can. As far as the GPS antenna is concerned, here is one I found on EBay:

The antenna should be located in the area of the center speaker between the speaker and the gauge cluster.

Anything else just ask!

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 08-18-2021 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
devinr (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 09:14 PM
devinr
Registered Member

Hey @devinr , sorry for the delay-I just saw your message (watching Big Brother, lol). I will help in any way I can. As far as the GPS antenna is concerned, here is one I found on EBay:

The antenna should be located in the area of the center speaker between the speaker and the gauge cluster.

Anything else just ask!
thanks so much man , exactly what I was wondering. Will message you if I run into any other snags.
I am going to get the
-bezel/trim
- head unit/ silver controller
- screen
- gps antenna
- harness with wires cut off
-middle trim with clock

am I missing anything?
Old 08-19-2021, 06:11 PM
OWC
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Devinr,
You can use any good GPS antenna with a gray GT5 connector. For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184540993095 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/151247287290

Also, if you'd like to make life a ton easier and keep ALL your factory wiring intact, we offer harness adapter kits for the conversion. 100% plug and play; turn a 10+ hour job into a 1-2 hour job (just remove the radio, plug it in, and run a few cables). I'm assuming you have an 09 with Bose? Let me know if you'd like further details.

Either way, I'd be happy to help you source any parts you need for the conversion.

Chris
Old 08-19-2021, 06:15 PM
devinr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by OWC
Hi Devinr,
You can use any good GPS antenna with a gray GT5 connector. For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184540993095 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/151247287290

Also, if you'd like to make life a ton easier and keep ALL your factory wiring intact, we offer harness adapter kits for the conversion. 100% plug and play; turn a 10+ hour job into a 1-2 hour job (just remove the radio, plug it in, and run a few cables). I'm assuming you have an 09 with Bose? Let me know if you'd like further details.

Either way, I'd be happy to help you source any parts you need for the conversion.

Chris
no way ! That’s crazy yea I’m likely interested man. I do have an 09 with Bose . I just bought a stock go’s antenna for a g37 from eBay for 40$ because the parts car I was sourcing from had that stripped already unfortunately. Let me know about the harness adapters though!
Old 08-19-2021, 07:49 PM
OWC
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, perfect. Just sent you a PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:51 AM
golfman1327
Registered Member

Hey Chris, I saw this thread where you told devinr about the wiring harness you have for G37. Please get in touch with me and send the same. 2013 G37.

Thanks

Mickey

Quick Reply: Navigation install