G37 Sedan

High Mileage on G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:41 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Yeah, the thing with my car (having the 5AT) is that it has a transmission fluid dipstick, which you can use to fill the actual transmission fluid in. It makes it much easier, eliminated the need for a pump.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Eddie Ex
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
Before I sold, my 2011 G37xS had 115k on it, and the only issue I had was with the car occasionally shutting off on the first start after having already run, so I guess it's technically the second start. No one was able to tell me what was going wrong, as there were no codes, but it acted like an O2 issue. If given throttle input on start, all was fine.
How much did get for your G37???
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I sold my 2010 g37xs with 117k for $12k. That’s with a pro coil over install and all kinds of ad on’s. I gave it away to a nice young guy. He was happy as heck. Pay it forward
Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 AM
AbeG37vq
Registered Member

Hi NoPainNoglory. My G37 is experiencing that creaky/groaning issue when cold right now. Did the dealer ever tell you which suspension parts needed the lubrication? Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:16 AM
lektrix
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi guys,

I just bought a used 2012 G37x AWD Sedan with 155,000 KMs (96,000 miles) for $7500 CAD ($5800 USD). The seller was extremely desperate to sell and accepted what I believe to be a lowball offer. I believe I got an extremely fortunate bargain, but we'll see in a day or two when I officially get the car safety certified/road worthy. I just spent $500 CAD on new Centric Rotors & Pads, and another $800 CAD on new 18" AS Tires. These fixes had to be done to pass safety and hopefully there are no additional unforseen issues that come up in the safety test tomorrow afternoon. There appears to be some trace of mechanical work/checkup/oil changes done in the service records so I am not 100% worried. Fluids were flushed around 50,000KM ago so there should be 50,000KM of mileage left there.

Can you guys advise what else I should be looking at changing sooner or later??

New iridium spark plugs perhaps?
Timing belts?
Battery?

pls advise.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:49 AM
PMTW_IPL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey lektrix congrats on your G! For future purchases, I highly recommend getting a PPI BEFORE you pull the trigger. But other than that it seems like a steal. Take a look underneath the car for rust and anything that looks a bit off. Maintenance wise, I have a clearer conscience with new spark plugs, belt and a fresh oil change even if the records say they've been done. Have a shop check the battery's condition. If the voltage is reading low, get it replaced. Good call on the rotors and pads btw. Check and/or replace diff fluids, power steering fluid, brake fluid and just make sure electronics are working (interior/exterior lights, center console buttons, A/C, etc.) Should've said this before but get an OBD2 and check for any codes stored or that may have been deleted. Have fun with you new baby!
The following users liked this post:
lektrix (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 05:14 AM
yoda466
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow that does sound like a great deal. Hope you find no major problems. There is no timing belt so no worries there. Plugs typically get changed around 100k miles. Accessory belts would be wise to change if they have not been. See if you can find a date on the battery. I like to change them at about 5 years.
lektrix (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 08:48 AM
lektrix
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PMTW_IPL
Hey lektrix congrats on your G! For future purchases, I highly recommend getting a PPI BEFORE you pull the trigger. But other than that it seems like a steal. Take a look underneath the car for rust and anything that looks a bit off. Maintenance wise, I have a clearer conscience with new spark plugs, belt and a fresh oil change even if the records say they've been done. Have a shop check the battery's condition. If the voltage is reading low, get it replaced. Good call on the rotors and pads btw. Check and/or replace diff fluids, power steering fluid, brake fluid and just make sure electronics are working (interior/exterior lights, center console buttons, A/C, etc.) Should've said this before but get an OBD2 and check for any codes stored or that may have been deleted. Have fun with you new baby!
Pre purchase inspection right? Yes i got one. Took it to a trusted shop for a 40 min eyeball check and they liked it. Shop actually told me this was the best looking car out of the other 2 i had them check. Despite dreaming of a coupe (2008 and 2009) they recommended the sedan because it was a 2012 and in better condition. The price sold me, otherwise id still be chasing a dream for who knows how long. Underbody rust is ok and test drive was ok apparently. But they told me i absolutely needed new brakes and tires and tpms sensors so i hurried and got them asap.

AC, heat, power buttons and sunroof all seem to work and only error code for tpms is flashing.

Service records say oil change hasnt been done since March 2018 (147000 kms) so thats around 8500 kms or so which means it's time?? How strict are the infiniti maintenance windows? Every 5000 miles or can we push it to 8000 miles?

A strange issue i noticed however is that when i close the doors gently or hard i hear some noise like vibration or rattling coming from the trunk. This happens with all four doors. However when i leave the trunk open and close the doors the sound goes away. Makes me think that something is loose but i can't figure it....

Originally Posted by yoda466
Wow that does sound like a great deal. Hope you find no major problems. There is no timing belt so no worries there. Plugs typically get changed around 100k miles. Accessory belts would be wise to change if they have not been. See if you can find a date on the battery. I like to change them at about 5 years.
Im looking at getting a Costco battery at my next oil change which is probs soon. Is there a way to test for bad spark plugs? If it aint broke dont fix it or do i just get the most expensive iridiums at RockAuto???

A strange issue i noticed however is that when i close the doors gently or hard i hear some noise like vibration or rattling coming from the trunk. This happens with all four doors. However when i leave the trunk open and close the doors the sound goes away. Makes me think that something is loose but i can't figure it....
Old 09-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
thats a great deal....change the serpntine belt and change the plugs..when you see the old plugs it may reveal an underlying lean/rich af condition...check the OBD2 for stored codes one may pop up un a few weeks if its been recently cleared....bleed the brakes with fresh fluid if you're doing the brakes......maybe clean the throttle bodies...

for the noise, it could be lots of things but theres lots of little clips holding plastic lining bits in the trunk sometimes they break and bits get dislodged inside, they are pretty disposable you can get bags of them on amazon for cheap...pull the trunk lining to see if anything dropped in there

enjoy the new ride
lektrix (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 09:44 AM
lektrix
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
thats a great deal....change the serpntine belt and change the plugs..when you see the old plugs it may reveal an underlying lean/rich af condition...check the OBD2 for stored codes one may pop up un a few weeks if its been recently cleared....bleed the brakes with fresh fluid if you're doing the brakes......maybe clean the throttle bodies...

for the noise, it could be lots of things but theres lots of little clips holding plastic lining bits in the trunk sometimes they break and bits get dislodged inside, they are pretty disposable you can get bags of them on amazon for cheap...pull the trunk lining to see if anything dropped in there

enjoy the new ride
Any recommends on the spark plugs?? I was looking at DENSO 3457 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...503760&jsn=335 but the NGK 90174 {#1305} Laser Iridium and NGK 1305 Laser Iridium are also available for double the cost. I'm looking at the DENSO 3457 because of the bundled/free shipping but if NGKs are 1000x better I'll have to go with NGK. "Serpentine belt" I assume is a belt drive such as the ones listed here right https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rive,belt,8900 ???
Old 09-27-2018, 10:13 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

plugs I have only used the NGK, I did notice a massive improvement in mileage when i changed them earlier this year, grabbed them off rockauto with the coupon on tow occasions...both times they wer at my door in 48 hours...the fastest shipping on anything i've ordered from there

for the belt, yeah the G just has the one so its super easy to change in the driveway without lifting the car in about 20mins if you've done it before maybe 40mins if you haven't done it before.... I've had the "standard" dayco and gates both form rockauto and now just have a cheap Continental one I grabbed at partsource...although I have been tempted to grab the expensive gates one on rock auto...I feel like the extreme cold/hot temps up here and my driving make it not worth it as all the belts tend to crack/stretch and I'm ok changing it every year or two.. rockauto always has one for like 3 dollars though lol, if you look in the RSS feed...but it usually ships form somewhere random..
The following 2 users liked this post by Baadnewsburr:
krazyfiend (11-24-2019), lektrix (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:18 AM
lektrix
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
plugs I have only used the NGK, I did notice a massive improvement in mileage when i changed them earlier this year, grabbed them off rockauto with the coupon on tow occasions...both times they wer at my door in 48 hours...the fastest shipping on anything i've ordered from there

for the belt, yeah the G just has the one so its super easy to change in the driveway without lifting the car in about 20mins if you've done it before maybe 40mins if you haven't done it before.... I've had the "standard" dayco and gates both form rockauto and now just have a cheap Continental one I grabbed at partsource...although I have been tempted to grab the expensive gates one on rock auto...I feel like the extreme cold/hot temps up here and my driving make it not worth it as all the belts tend to crack/stretch and I'm ok changing it every year or two.. rockauto always has one for like 3 dollars though lol, if you look in the RSS feed...but it usually ships form somewhere random..
Which NGK did you buy?? NGK 90174 {#1305} Laser Iridium or the NGK 1305 Laser Iridium ??
Old 09-27-2018, 02:42 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lektrix
Which NGK did you buy?? NGK 90174 {#1305} Laser Iridium or the NGK 1305 Laser Iridium ??
The two you have listed are are the same sparkplug- NGK Laser Iridum. Rock Auto has just listed them slightly differently.

The actual part # is DF8H-11B [or #1305].

I have the VQ35HR not the VQ37VHR that you have so I have the DILKAR7B11 [or #1406]

They are the Laser Iridium equivalents to the one you listed above and are almost exactly the same as the one you mentioned above except mine are a 7 heat range instead of an 8 in the ones you need.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Dantheman42

Considering purchasing 190,000 mile g37x

Hey y'all! Looking into buying a 2009 infiniti g37x with about 190,000 miles. Should I even purchase this? Or will it not last much longer? What should i be looking for specifically that you guys have encountered?
Thanks!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:17 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm at around 84k on a '10. All oil changes and brakes for the most part. I've owned it since 50k. I had one LED out in the ring of the tailight (can't replace the single LED) extended warranty covered replacement of the entire taillight. I replaced the belt myself after the dealer told me to because mine was rotting. I cut off the old belt to get it out and found out they lied to me and it was in perfect condition. One of the OEM cats rattled like crazy around 75k so I replaced them with Berk HFCs. Other than that I'm really just awaiting the galley gasket failure lol but I installed a pressure gauge so I can catch it early.

Quick Reply: High Mileage on G37