Sponsored by:

Sedan weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by G37_4DR
Valid consideration, 4DRZ. Interestingly enough, though, many new cars are being produced with tire sealant and an inflator kit in place of a spare tire. I wonder if they're having to engineer the rear of the vehicle differently in order to meet crash test standards without a spare tire in place.
Absolutely. The amount of engineering and crash testing done today on a vehicle to get a top safety rating is amazing.

Originally Posted by Man
This thread is making me too sad.
If you wanted some easy ounces there's always floor mats, headrests, glovebox, rear speakers (fronts are a necessity in my mind).
You're getting close to being able to sell all the parts and buy another G!
Not sure why this thread is making you sad. Anyway, the idea is to find lighter replacement parts for the car to improve all areas of performance without sacrificing parts you use on a daily basis that do not get rid of much weight like floor mats, glovebox, or headrests. Do not drive without headrests- they are there so you do not get whiplash if you get rear ended.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:41 PM
Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Not sure why this thread is making you sad. Anyway, the idea is to find lighter replacement parts for the car to improve all areas of performance without sacrificing parts you use on a daily basis that do not get rid of much weight like floor mats, glovebox, or headrests. Do not drive without headrests- they are there so you do not get whiplash if you get rear ended.
Making me sad because I wish I could do the same.
Yeah, but there's still three other headrests in the car. I personally have never used my glove box, and rear speakers are pretty useless for me. Around 12-15 lbs of easy weight.
Otherwise I'm familiar, thanks for the revision though, everything else seems to have been covered...
Old 11-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Couldn’t tell you the last time I used my trunk. Gutted it of the remaining plastics and resulted in 25lbs of weight loss. This was only the plastics and trunk mat. I had already removed jack/tools (didn’t weigh) and spare (32.5 lbs) months ago before the figure of 25 lbs was removed today. Waiting for a few more people to swap in lightweight better fitting seats for somebody my size (175). I’m sure they are out there, just not sure where to begin honestly. Would love to do black leather to keep it as oem looking as possible. Also do not want any lights on dash so would have to figure out the airbag and weight sensor.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Switch to a true-type coilovers setup in the rear, it will allow you to replace the spring buckets with toe arms... Should be decent weight reduction.
Finally measured them. Oem spring bucket are 4lbs each.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:20 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
ARK grip shipped at 85 pounds and I estimate packaging was 15 pounds.

I'll try to weight my stock exhaust in the next couple of days.
Ark supposedly weighs 77. Not sure if coupe or sedan.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:44 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
As I guessed the box weight, I think we are both pretty close. The sedan exhaust will weigh more than the coupe due the sedan's true dual nature.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:08 PM
G37_4DR

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by lorentzoe45

Couldn’t tell you the last time I used my trunk. Gutted it of the remaining plastics and resulted in 25lbs of weight loss. This was only the plastics and trunk mat. I had already removed jack/tools (didn’t weigh) and spare (32.5 lbs) months ago before the figure of 25 lbs was removed today. Waiting for a few more people to swap in lightweight better fitting seats for somebody my size (175). I’m sure they are out there, just not sure where to begin honestly. Would love to do black leather to keep it as oem looking as possible. Also do not want any lights on dash so would have to figure out the airbag and weight sensor.
Hey bud, check the previous page of this thread. I took out the same items and you can see the weight readings for each.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...duction-5.html
Old 11-11-2017, 05:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
Changing seats to save weight it not too difficult, just a bit time consuming as the Bride seat rails for the sedan take about 3-4 months to get. I have a thread about this in the sedan section and just updated my build thread about the seats.

I would not recommend driving around without a spare and jack and tools for obvious reasons if you get a flat. Also if you get in an accident the spare tire acts as a crumple zone.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Sparco R600 driver's seat with Bride seat rails & sliders dropped another 23.4 lbs so I am up to 63.8 lbs saved so far.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:49 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I chose this route.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by antirice
I chose this route.

But not recommended
Old 11-11-2017, 07:09 PM
lifted-d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for the manual trans users a lightened flywheel is significantly better to drive. I went with a JWT aluminum and the hd clutch kit, speed csc on my 2007 sport sedan. iirc the flywheel is 21lbs less or something? the engine comes alive ditching all that spinning weight!

edit:15.4 lbs vs 28 lbs stock

Last edited by lifted-d; 11-11-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lifted-d
for the manual trans users a lightened flywheel is significantly better to drive. I went with a JWT aluminum and the hd clutch kit, speed csc on my 2007 sport sedan. iirc the flywheel is 21lbs less or something? the engine comes alive ditching all that spinning weight!

edit:15.4 lbs vs 28 lbs stock
Really? Well this is interesting. But does the flywheel make more noise? I thought about this when they had my clutch out and replaced the slave cylinder before, but every review I could get on this car said it was a lot louder- like a cement mixer rolling around. Thoughts?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I weighed my seat yesterday just to see if it lost any weight from lowering the seat rails. It actually dropped almost 2 lbs. which means the Sparco seat and Bride rails shave off almost 25lbs.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 PM
WildcatFormulaG

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Crash Structure

As an engineer who has spent time in an automotive stamping shop, I thought I'd offer my opinion on the spare tire as a part of the crash structure. In a severe rear end collision, the rear bumper and trunk will act as crumple zones and transmit the energy into the rockers, floor pan, and c pillars. For crash testing, they look at protecting all potential seating areas of the car, as such, the presence of the spare tire will make a difference, as long as it is secured and able to transmit force into its stamped steel housing. However, when it comes to tracking the car, assuming you have no back seat passengers, having the spare present will make no significant difference when it comes to protecting the driver and a front seat passenger, the entire rear of the car will act as a crumple zone to protect the front occupants. So for a track day, I would have no concerns over ditching the spare, dependent on the passenger situation. Another obvious thing to note, any crash of sufficient force to begin crumpling the stamped panels of the uni-body will likely result in the totaling of the car.

If you are still concerned about protecting the integrity of the rear crumple zone, I'll offer up a cheap idea that will let you save some weight for a track day. Lay out some plastic sheeting in the bottom of the donut shaped hole used to store the spare and use a high density expanding foam to fill the void between the sheet metal and the foam tool kit holder. If you are careful, you will end up with a removable foam insert to replace the much heavier spare wheel and tire. The plastic sheeting is just to make it easy and clean to swap in and out.
In summary, the spare just serves as a way of transferring force from a collision into the main structure of the uni-body, by filling the void with foam, you can achieve the same effect as the spare.

By the way, I've loved following along with your build and I appreciate your focus for performance over aesthetics.
The following 4 users liked this post by WildcatFormulaG:
4DRZ (02-19-2018), FreightTrain (03-01-2018), PNW_IPL (02-03-2020), SupraOfDoom (01-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Sedan weight reduction