G37 Sedan

Sedan weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Well, that's true. Moving the battery shifts the front-2-back weight distribution delta by twice the battery weight. Fair point.

The rest... IDK. I suppose if you do it and the change is perceived negatively, you swap back in a few minutes, and are only out the time and materials to make the project happen.
I am hoping to just find a lighter battery and leave it in the same spot. But if I don't have any luck with that I would get the car on scales first to make sure I am not screwing up the weight balance at all (side to side) before I did any wiring or mounted up brackets for the battery in the trunk.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:23 PM
p0on
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you had a chance to corner weight the car? I wonder how exactly the car is balanced, wet weight with all fluids and no driver. And how someone in the driver seat is distributed on the corners.

For the benefit of many of us here, also how a passenger's weight will be distributed (driving instructor @AutoX or HPDE, for example).

For F/R balance, I'm putting all the 370Z bracing in, which adds like 35 pounds to the rear and about 7 pounds to the front.

Those of us with oil coolers in the front, will also have to take that into consideration.

Leaving the OEM rear mufflers in will also help the balance, as will the spare tires and such. (I'm doing exactly this, modding all the pipes between the cat and the mufflers.)

HFCs are also a bit lighter (and will yield more weight savings than a battery). Good weight off the front for that 50/50.

You have an interesting project going on, 4DRZ. I like it
Old 12-28-2016, 08:25 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Good points p0on. I have an oil cooler hanging off the front of the car too (probably the first mod you should do if you plan on tracking the car), but it does not add too much weight.

I never thought about saving weight with the HFC's so I probably lost a little weight there. Probably also lost some weight with the headers.

If I don't have any luck finding a lighter battery and start thinking seriously about relocating the battery to the trunk I will probably corner weigh the car first. I have some racing friends with scales who only live an hour or so away, so not a big deal. Sometimes, they even bring them to track days.

I feel like I should have gotten a base weight on the car before all the mods, but I still have some of the stock parts so it should not be too tough to start figuring out most of the weight savings.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:19 AM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an Odyssey PC680MJT in my car now and it works great. 15.4 lbs

You can use the stock mount if you put a small piece of wood under the batter to raise it some. I also bought a new J hook from O'Reilly's because the batter still sat lower than OEM.

I plan on installing an Odyssey batter holder this week so it holds it down a bit better. About $100 for the battery and about $100 for their aluminum hold down.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM
jgronline

This is one option which uses the factory hold down bar. You have to use something under the battery to raise it up some.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 AM
jgronline

The other option is to use the Odyssey hold down. I used the OEM battery tray in combination with their brackets. This really does hold down the battery much better.

The OEM battery tray is a mixture of plastic and metal so it is pretty light. I drilled two holes through the center metal piece and the other two holes are just through the plastic.

You have to install the battery tray with the Odyssey side brackets prior to adding the battery because one bolt in the battery tray is blocked by the battery.

The following users liked this post:
SupraOfDoom (02-28-2020)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
That's pretty cool, jgronline. Well done.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Jgronline- thanks for the idea and all the pics. I think that battery only has 170 CCA which would be an issue for me in WI with our cold winters.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:38 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

WEIGHT LOSS SO FAR:

Tein Basis: 10.6 lbs
TSW Interlagos w/ RE-71R's: 8 lbs
DC Headers: 7.8 lbs
Stillen Pulley: 4 lbs

Total: 30.4 lbs

I think I may have also lost some weight with the Z1 high flow cats and maybe the Stillen exhaust and Z1 cold air intakes. Doubtful on the Hotchkis sway bars. I forgot to weigh all these parts before I installed them. If anyone has weights of these parts vs. the stock parts, please post them up.

I am also in the process of looking for seats which should save the most weight of anything so far. (I have another thread in the sedan section on this)

I also plan on getting the Z1 2pc. front rotors at some point which shave off another 10lbs. each.

I thought a lighter battery would be a cheap and easy option, but I am struggling to find one that has enough cold cranking amps for our cold WI winters that does not cost a fortune. If anyone knows of any with the same or more CCA than the factory battery that does not cost a fortune, please let me know.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I've heard seats are like 70lb each, not sure if its accurate but it would make very significant weight reduction. Also I read some older posts about how great car feels after upgrading drive shaft to carbon fiber / aluminum, couldn't find drive shafts for AWD models? pretty sure someone out there makes them or can be made.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
WEIGHT LOSS SO FAR:

Tein Basis: 10.6 lbs
TSW Interlagos w/ RE-71R's: 8 lbs
DC Headers: 7.8 lbs
Stillen Pulley: 4 lbs

Total: 30.4 lbs

I think I may have also lost some weight with the Z1 high flow cats and maybe the Stillen exhaust and Z1 cold air intakes. Doubtful on the Hotchkis sway bars. I forgot to weigh all these parts before I installed them. If anyone has weights of these parts vs. the stock parts, please post them up.

I am also in the process of looking for seats which should save the most weight of anything so far. (I have another thread in the sedan section on this)

I also plan on getting the Z1 2pc. front rotors at some point which shave off another 10lbs. each.

I thought a lighter battery would be a cheap and easy option, but I am struggling to find one that has enough cold cranking amps for our cold WI winters that does not cost a fortune. If anyone knows of any with the same or more CCA than the factory battery that does not cost a fortune, please let me know.
High Flow cats are about half the weight of OEM cats.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Stachuu
I've heard seats are like 70lb each...
Considering how much damage my dealer did removing my front seats to dry the carpet, I believe your figure. Gouged plastic panel at bottom of driver door opening and scratched paint in both door jambs.

Inertial reels are about twenty pounds each.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Considering how much damage my dealer did removing my front seats to dry the carpet, I believe your figure. Gouged plastic panel at bottom of driver door opening and scratched paint in both door jambs.

Inertial reels are about twenty pounds each.
That really sucks, did they even mentioned the damage or got you
recompensated in any way?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
It happened in early April. I've not been home long enough since then to have anything done. The service advisor knows, though, both of the damage and my intent to return to get the damage repaired.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Stachuu
I've heard seats are like 70lb each, not sure if its accurate but it would make very significant weight reduction. Also I read some older posts about how great car feels after upgrading drive shaft to carbon fiber / aluminum, couldn't find drive shafts for AWD models? pretty sure someone out there makes them or can be made.
My driver's seat weighs 75lbs. so I should be able to shave about 40 lbs with each front seat I replace. That will probably be the best weight savings.

I looked into alum/carbon driveshafts, but I only see them for the coupe. If you see one for the sedan, please let me know.

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
High Flow cats are about half the weight of OEM cats.
Really?!? Wow, that would save some weight too. Does anyone have the weights for stock vs. Z1 high flow cats? How about stock vs. Stillen cat back or stock vs. Hotchkis sways? I will update this thread with the weights when I get them.

Quick Reply: Sedan weight reduction