Sponsored by:

Sedan weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:28 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The link for Planted? They still don't make any rails for a G37 sedan, but said they could measure and make some if anyone had a car they could bring by their shop that I believe is in Seattle or Portland. They make them for the G35, but I am not sure if that is the coupe or sedan or if they are the same for the G35. I know the coupe and sedan use different rails in the sedan and coupe.
They work as is if you get the ones I listed above. Brian Kouba is using them in his sick G37 sedan, I asked him myself.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:26 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom

They work as is if you get the ones I listed above. Brian Kouba is using them in his sick G37 sedan, I asked him myself.
I wonder which ones work as there are none listed for a G37. I know when I called them a year or so ago they did not have a fitment for the G37 sedan. Maybe they have one now.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:43 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

I wonder which ones work as there are none listed for a G37. I know when I called them a year or so ago they did not have a fitment for the G37 sedan. Maybe they have one now.
Pretty sure it unofficially fits.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Pretty sure it unofficially fits.
Which one? The link you provided has a list of G35, Q50, and Q60 models. I would be sure to call 1st if I were you as they definitely did NOT have a fitment for a G37 sedan a year ago. G37 coupe rails also DO NOT fit the sedan.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:51 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Hey guys, I managed to find a working set from a facebook friend. He used the 2013-2016 coupe brackets from this website and they worked great. Now we don't just have to depend on Bride rails. INFINITI
^^^^^

Anyway, I hope this group buy goes through so I can get my Titanium Exhaust. I will weight it whenever I get it, but it will be awhile from now.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

^^^^^

Anyway, I hope this group buy goes through so I can get my Titanium Exhaust. I will weight it whenever I get it, but it will be awhile from now.
D'oh! Not sure how I missed that, but I am surprised that they worked as the factory coupe rails definitely do not work. Keep us updated on the exhaust.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I put in an order for Bride seat rails for the passenger side last week. The bad news is that they take about 2+ months to get on special order from Japan. The good news is that I will have another Sparco seat bolted up to it which was my biggest single weight reduction in the car. I'm not sure if the factory passenger seat weighs exactly the same as the driver's side since it does not have adjustable thigh or side bolsters. I bet it still shaves off a good 20+ lbs. though and that would put me over 100 lbs shaved off of the car! I think that just leaves a lighter battery and 2pc. rear rotors for my car to continue the lightweight diet in the future.
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (06-10-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:25 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

My Bride seat rails arrived already. It still took a while, but it seems like they got here much quicker than last time. I have the Sparco R600 seat on order as well and it might arrive next week. I am guessing that I will not shave quite as much weight on the passenger side because it does not have the hardware for the inflatable side bolsters, but I bet I still shave a decent amount of weight. I think I am just excited to finally have both front seats match. lol

SupraOfDoom (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

This is my favorite thread on the site. I like it because it's a pretty exclusive functional club, which if you know anything about the majority of the G scene is not typical lol.
4DRZ (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 11:28 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

This is my favorite thread on the site. I like it because it's a pretty exclusive functional club, which if you know anything about the majority of the G scene is not typical lol.
Thanks! Your are definitely correct about weight reduction not being a common thread for these cars. If you like this thread, then you are in luck because I just put another Sparco R600 seat on the passenger side of my car yesterday. Just as I thought, the OEM passenger seat is not quite as heavy as the driver's seat. The difference is about 5 lbs. But the new seat did drop another 19.4 lbs. out of the car so now I have officially crossed the century mark of dropping over 100 lbs. off of the car! I don't know if anyone else has achieved that yet. Later I will post a link here to my seat thread with some more detailed installation processes in case anyone else wants to replace their seats. It is definitely not just a simple "plug and play" upgrade. For now here is a pic of the two seats that shaved about 45 lbs. out of my car.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 08-07-2019 at 12:59 PM.
SupraOfDoom (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 11:38 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

I really want to do the same thing there. I'll be behind you shortly with the 100 lbs club.

Did you ever do a lightweight battery yet? I bought that nice AGM battery but I could always switch it out to my G35X and get an Odyssey or something.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Thanks! Your are definitely correct about weight reduction not being a common thread for these cars. If you like this thread, then you are in luck because I just put another Sparco R600 seat on the passenger side of my car yesterday. Just as I thought, the OEM passenger seat is not quite as heavy as the driver's seat. The difference is about 5 lbs. But the new seat did drop another 19.4 lbs. out of the car so now I have officially crossed the century mark of dropping over 100 lbs. off of the car! I don't know if anyone else has achieved that yet. Later I will post a link here to my seat thread with some more detailed installation processes in case anyone else wants to replace their seats. It is definitely not just a simple "plug and play" upgrade. For now here is a pic of the two seats that shaved about 45 lbs. out of my car.

That looks proper.

Have you considered staining the SPARCO embroidery? Black would look good.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I really want to do the same thing there. I'll be behind you shortly with the 100 lbs club.

Did you ever do a lightweight battery yet? I bought that nice AGM battery but I could always switch it out to my G35X and get an Odyssey or something.
Nice to hear you are also joining the 100 lb club soon. I have not done a battery yet as I am waiting on Antigravity to bring out a different type of lithium ion battery that can survive our harsh winter cold. It is supposed to be out soon. That will be the last significant weight loss item on my car so I am not in a huge rush. I think the only other mod that will drop any weight is the rear 2pc. rotors, but that is only about 5 lbs/each.

Originally Posted by Rochester
That looks proper.

Have you considered staining the SPARCO embroidery? Black would look good.
Thanks. No, the white Sparco lettering really pops nicely on my white car so that won't be changing. They do offer this seat with red stitching as well, but the Sparco embroidery is still white. I thought about going with the red stitching and then eventually changing all the other stitching over to red, but it really does not show well on the black and there is nothing else red on the car so I skipped it.

It must be the placebo affect, but the car feels ever so slightly quicker to accelerate with the new weight loss. Then again, I noticed the same thing with the lighter front rotors and that is about the same weight reduction. I imagine I will be used to it and unable to notice by tomorrow. Such is life with performance mods- they become the new regular far too quickly.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Here is the link for anyone who wants to try to install aftermarket seats in their sedan. (Post #376) It is a bit of a time suck: https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...-sedan-25.html

Last edited by 4DRZ; 08-07-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:40 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

I assume you're keeping your OEM seats in case you sell the car? I'd want to sell mine to make some of the money back.

Quick Reply: Sedan weight reduction