Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Thanks for all the good info 2GoRNot2G. I have a few other projects I am working on now, but I think I finally have all the info. I need to make this happen. Thanks everyone else for all the good info as well. I had no idea this would be so involved, but grateful I found people who have done this before me to greatly simplify the process.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:37 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
No problem. I'm working on several new projects also, so I know how that goes.

Good luck with the seats once you get around to doing them.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well, I am getting a lot more serious about getting some lighter and supportive seats that are still usable on the street. I pretty much had my mind made up on the Sparco R100's as they are not too flashy, much lighter, not too expensive, and look very supportive.

However, they are quite a bit wider in the torso and thighs than the standard G37S seats. I am not terribly worried about the thigh area, but I really am not too interested in a seat that is a full 2 inches wider in the torso than the seats I have. I really do not want to be sliding around on track.

It looks like the Sparco R333's might be a better fit. But they are more expensive and do look a bit "racecar." The R600's look a little more conservative and are about the same width in the torso and thighs as the factory seats. Of course, they are the most expensive. I am open to other suggestions if you guys have ideas.

R100 $330

R333 $525

R600 $875

Last edited by 4DRZ; 05-01-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
If you're looking for stylistic opinions... I think the R333 is the most appealing looking of the three.

As for the width, I suspect the wider seat will be a welcome change for daily driving, while the height of the thigh bolsters is what really comes into play for your track days.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-01-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd have to agree that I like the R333 looks the best as well... was surprised that the R100 was the lightest, but they are all 50lbs + less then stock
Old 05-01-2017, 11:35 AM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If you're looking for stylistic opinions... I think the R333 is the most appealing looking of the three.
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
I'd have to agree that I like the R333 looks the best as well... was surprised that the R100 was the lightest, but they are all 50lbs + less then stock
^^agreed
Old 05-01-2017, 11:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

As for the width, I suspect the wider seat will be a welcome change for daily driving, while the height of the thigh bolsters is what really comes into play for your track days.
The R33 is starting to grow on me. Initially, it looked way too wide at the top, but it is an illusion created by the greater sculpting of the seat right below as it is very similar to the other two.

The R33 is actually the most narrow seat of the bunch, but closest to the OEM seat interior widths with the bolsters inflated quite a bit, which I like the size/feel of, so that is a good thing.

On the track the torso width is really what holds you in place. Your legs rub up against the center console and the door to hold you in place so the thigh width is not crucial. However, a really tall thigh bolster can be a pain to get in and out all the time for a daily driver so I am also keeping an eye on that. This is probably also the reason I am not looking into race seats as they look like a real pain to get into/out of on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Originally Posted by RxRyanM
^^agreed
Glad you guys agree with the styling. The side bolsters/padding on the R100 look really thin so I am not surprised it is a bit lighter. I figure with rails I should still save about 40 lbs on each seat I replace.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
On the track the torso width is really what holds you in place. Your legs rub up against the center console and the door to hold you in place so the thigh width is not crucial. However, a really tall thigh bolster can be a pain to get in and out all the time for a daily driver so I am also keeping an eye on that. This is probably also the reason I am not looking into race seats as they look like a real pain to get into/out of on a daily basis.
That makes sense... torso bolster > thigh bolster. You would know that by experience far more than I would.

There was a young man at the VQ|North meetup last year who had a 6MT Sedan with a racing seat. To get in the car, even the skinny kids had to first position their torso so that they hovered over the seat, and then lower themselves down. It's a very gymnastics kind of maneuver. Pretty sure that's not something you want in a DD, but you've been pursuing this sport-seat itch for some time now.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

There was a young man at the VQ|North meetup last year who had a 6MT Sedan with a racing seat. To get in the car, even the skinny kids had to first position their torso so that they hovered over the seat, and then lower themselves down. It's a very gymnastics kind of maneuver. Pretty sure that's not something you want in a DD, but you've been pursuing this sport-seat itch for some time now.
Absolutely. No thanks to the gymnast seats. Part of the reason I got rid of my Evo for the G37S were the high thigh side bolsters of the OEM Recaro seats. Those were bad to try to get in and out when I was having lower back issues. This is something I am definitely taking into consideration for these new seats.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Another seat I am still considering is the Corbeau A4. It is lighter and definitely cheaper than the Sparcos. The best part is that upgrading a pair of the A4's to Suede is still less than the Sparco R333 and R600 seats.

I also like the fact that I can get the Corbeau's heated from the factory ($148/ea) and have adjustable lumbar installed ($78/ea). The only bad thing is that I think the 3 patches on each side look cheap- even when they are upgraded to actual leather when you switch to suede. Thoughts?

Corbeau A4 Suede $429

Old 05-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Lately I'm seeing used but reupholstered Recaros popping up on ebay. Just another route to consider. I like Recaros better than nearly every other aftermarket seat manufacturer.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I have heard that the weight sensor out of the 370Z and also the GTR sensor will work on our cars, but you can't use a sensor out of any of the 1st Gen cars. Or you can just purchase a weight sensor bypass module from the link I previously posted, but that will disable the passenger's side airbag.
So would a passenger seat bottom weight sensor out of any model year 370Z or any year G37 sedan, coupe, or convertible work for my '13 G37S sedan?

Does the bypass module in the link below disable the passenger airbag or still allow it to work? The "product features" description makes it sound like it would still work.

Infinity G37 Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SENSOR EMULATOR
Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So would a passenger seat bottom weight sensor out of any model year 370Z or any year G37 sedan, coupe, or convertible work for my '13 G37S sedan?

Does the bypass module in the link below disable the passenger airbag or still allow it to work? The "product features" description makes it sound like it would still work.

Infinity G37 Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SENSOR EMULATOR
Glad to see you are moving forward with your front seat project, 4DRZ.

I can't confirm if the passenger's side air bag sensor from a 370Z will work, but any year G37 coupe or sedan (or 2007 - 2008 G35 sedan) sensor should work.

Regarding the air bag sensor bypass module in the above link... the way I understand it is that this unit simply emulates the signal sent when an adult is sitting in the passenger's seat so the passenger's side airbag will always be engaged no matter who or what you have in your passenger's seat and you will never have to deal with the passenger's air bag disabled light. This is the way to go IMO and I wish I had found this sensor before I bought the extra passenger's seat cushion when I was doing this same project last year.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:38 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

FYI.. Based solely on looks alone, my vote would be for the Sparco R333 or the Corbeau A4 seats.

Also, based on my experience I would definitely suggest that everyone who will be using the car try sitting in the seats before you purchase them.... especially if you have someone else that will be driving (or riding in) the car on a regular basis (i.e. wife). I originally saw the Cobra seats that I purchased at SEMA and was able to sit in them there. I fell in love with how perfectly they fit me and how tightly they held me... However, my wife wasn't with me to try them out. And although they seem to fit me perfectly the lower bolsters are a bit too narrow for my wife's hips making the seats very uncomfortable for her... So suffice it to say she only drives in the car when she has to now.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Glad to see you are moving forward with your front seat project, 4DRZ.

Regarding the air bag sensor bypass module in the above link... the way I understand it is that this unit simply emulates the signal sent when an adult is sitting in the passenger's seat so the passenger's side airbag will always be engaged no matter who or what you have in your passenger's seat and you will never have to deal with the passenger's air bag disabled light. This is the way to go IMO and I wish I had found this sensor before I bought the extra passenger's seat cushion when I was doing this same project last year.
I agree. That sounds way easier than screwing around with finding an old seat to tear apart.

FYI.. Based solely on looks alone, my vote would be for the Sparco R333 or the Corbeau A4 seats.

Also, based on my experience I would definitely suggest that everyone who will be using the car try sitting in the seats before you purchase them.... especially if you have someone else that will be driving (or riding in) the car on a regular basis (i.e. wife). I originally saw the Cobra seats that I purchased at SEMA and was able to sit in them there. I fell in love with how perfectly they fit me and how tightly they held me... However, my wife wasn't with me to try them out. And although they seem to fit me perfectly the lower bolsters are a bit too narrow for my wife's hips making the seats very uncomfortable for her... So suffice it to say she only drives in the car when she has to now.
I agree on your choices. Those are the two I seem to be leaning toward-
I like the Sparco's a little better, but the Suede on the Corbeau and being able to add in heat and lumbar right from Corbeau is pretty cool.

I think trying to sit in them before you buy them is a good idea too. The only problem is I cannot find anyone anywhere near me who has either seat. In fact, the Sparco's are not even listed on their website?? I found one dealer in the U.K. for the Sparco's that is ridiculously cheap, but waiting to hear back about shipping and customs costs.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?