Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Yes, I don't feel like I am driving an suv as much anymore, but the Sparco R600 is still a touch higher than stock. Part of it is also probably that I always felt like I was sitting right on the springs in the factory seat. Kind of surprising since there were only 18k miles on the car when I got it. Maybe the previous owner was a lot heavier?

Most of my height is in my legs too. I once sat in the back seat of a car next to a guy who was 5'8" and his head hit the roof and mine didn't touch. Just not a ton of room in this car with the moonroof.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:51 PM
R35sedan
R35SEDAN #4

Location: In NJ, Hunterdon County Equally far from NYC and Philadelphia
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did it many years ago. It was my 3rd g though and not a 3.7 it was a 2006 g35x. I had some initial fears.but after getting my driver's seat out, ( which requires 2 strong people I knew I was only taking off some extra fat. My replacements. Sure weren't heated or electric but I could definitely tell the difference in performance. I already had it on a heavy diet of fiberglass and c.f body parts. Combined with the 2pc brake rotors and wheel and tire package I had dropped nearly 20lbs per tire. The results of all that were well worth it especially if I had left my factory exhaust on. Most people couldn't figure out how they got beat by such a big car. But my power to weight ratio was similar to that of a Corvette zo6 of the same year. Did ride a little bit harsher but not bad enough to complain about
Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by R35sedan
Did it many years ago. It was my 3rd g though and not a 3.7 it was a 2006 g35x. I had some initial fears.but after getting my driver's seat out, ( which requires 2 strong people I knew I was only taking off some extra fat. My replacements. Sure weren't heated or electric but I could definitely tell the difference in performance. I already had it on a heavy diet of fiberglass and c.f body parts. Combined with the 2pc brake rotors and wheel and tire package I had dropped nearly 20lbs per tire. The results of all that were well worth it especially if I had left my factory exhaust on. Most people couldn't figure out how they got beat by such a big car. But my power to weight ratio was similar to that of a Corvette zo6 of the same year. Did ride a little bit harsher but not bad enough to complain about
That's cool that you noticed a big difference in performance from the weight loss. I will shave about 50 lbs. off just from the front seats. But how do you figure you were at the same power/weight ratio of a 2006 Z06?? That car weighs 3,147 lbs. and has 505 hp. The g35x weights 3,650 lbs. and only has 280 hp.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

After driving around on this seat for a while I have to say that I am pretty happy with the purchase. It took a little effort to get all the right parts (especially the seat bracket) and will take even longer to lower the seat bracket height, but you really only have to worry about that if are over 6'0" and plan to wear a helmet at the track. Without a helmet you would probably still be ok at 6'2" and maybe 6'3" depending on if your height is in your legs or torso. Now that a couple of us have tried this it should be a lot easier going forward.

Surprisingly, this seat is quite a bit more comfortable on my back and butt than the stock seat. There is definitely more torso and shoulder support. The place it is tight is the thigh support, but I am used to it now. I think it might almost be enough support in the thigh area that I will not need to lean my knees into the center console or the door panel when I corner on track- still yet to be determined.

So all in all, a good improvement for me and I will probably go with the same seat for the passenger seat in the spring/summer. The two seats should shave about 50 lbs. off of the car too.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:57 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Glad to hear you are happy with your seat selection. I also found that the Cobra seat provides me with much better lower back support (more lumbar I guess) which has helped my back a ton. I could hardly drive the car for more than an hour with the factory sport seats before my back was killing me, not I can drive the car all day without any discomfort.

By the way, how did the air bag delete resistors work out for you?
Old 11-29-2017, 04:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I know what you mean. I had the adjustable lumbar on the factory seat maxed out and it was ok. I actually feel fine with the increased standard lumbar on this seat.

The air bag resistor on the driver's side seems to work fine. No issues yet, so thanks for all the help there. I did drive around once with it unplugged on accident and it did not throw a code so maybe it takes a little time to notice like the TPMS light.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (11-30-2017)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

2GoRNot2G- Do you have the factory seat control module plugged in as well as a resistor wired into the airbag sensor?

I am wondering since I had to put the factory seat back in while I have my Bride seat rails lowered and I kept the resistor in the airbag sensor and plugged in the seat control module and got the red flashing airbag light on the dash. I wired the airbag sensor up like stock and had the airbag light reset so it is ok now.

However, this makes me think that if got a factory seat control module to plug in so that my mirrors/memory would work with the Sparco seat I would probably get the same airbag light, right?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:04 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I finally got my newly lowered Bride seat rails back. They got lowered 1 1/8" in front and 1 1/4" in the back, but it looks a lot lower. I just had time to test fit them and fortunately all the holes line up and I am just able to get all the bolts threaded in all the way- it was a lot closer than I thought. I was worried it might not work with all of the weird angles involved with the brackets.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I finally got a chance to put the seat back in about a week ago. It feels and looks a lot lower than I was told, but I am so glad I finally have room with a helmet. Very good height for me and I am so happy to have this much more comfortable seat back in my car.

Now the only problem is that the airbag light came on again after driving for almost a week. I hope it is just a bad relay or connection. I plan to check everything out tonight or tomorrow.

Not sure what happened to 2GoRNot2G. I sent him a msg. about airbag lights about a month ago, but have yet to hear anything back. Anyone else have issues with this with aftermarket seats in our cars?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:47 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Hey 4DRZ, how much lower do you think you are compared to stock with bride rails?
Old 02-15-2018, 12:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Good question. I believe the Bride rails are designed to keep you in the same position if the seat were the same. I think I sat a little higher than stock initially with my Sparco seat. Having the seat brackets lowered probably brought me down about an inch lower than stock if I had to guess.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:39 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
just 1 inch? argh, pretty much impossible for me to gain like 2 inches of headroom, huh?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well, they were able to lower my seat rails 1 1/8" in front and 1 1/4" in back, but my seat started a little higher than stock. The next step would be to take out some of the padding in the seat. Corbeau claims they can shave 1" out of the bottom cushion on their A4 without compromising comfort.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Help!

HELP!

I put in a new resistor and new connectors last night. My technician just tried to reset the airbag light, but now it comes back on instantly and the car throws the code below. Anyone with any electrical experience or experience removing your seat with advice on how to fix this?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Last night I got new 2.2 ohm 1/2 watt resistors. I plan to install the factory seat first to try to clear the airbag code. Then I will fully disconnect the battery, wire in the new resistor, plug in the seat belt and hope it works in the morning. I wonder if it matters which way I wire the resistors...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?