Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Actually, I am planning to keep the factory seat belts since the Bride seat brackets are supposed to have mounts for them. As much as I like track days, it will always spend the majority of it's time on the street.
Well yeah, OEM belt on the street. It would look pretty ridiculous to have a full harness when driving to the store for groceries. But you'll be wanting to buckle down at the track, right? I'm sure you're researching this.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Take a gander at the Rallye 3. You can keep your factory belts.

https://www.schrothracing.com/produc...lye-belts#1576
Interesting idea- Thanks!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Well yeah, OEM belt on the street. It would look pretty ridiculous to have a full harness when driving to the store for groceries. But you'll be wanting to buckle down at the track, right? I'm sure you're researching this.
I have really not considered it. This seat should hold me in really well, but I might give it some thought if it is not working the way I want on track. You would be surprised how many people run race belts and even race seats in their daily driver. No thanks.

With re-wiring the side air bag, installing the seat, the new clutch pedal assembly and doing a full tear down and rebuild of my mountain bike, my plate is pretty full right now.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

With re-wiring the side air bag, installing the seat, the new clutch pedal assembly and doing a full tear down and rebuild of my mountain bike, my plate is pretty full right now.
Right. What with your country's 500 anniversary to plan, your bride to murder and Guilder to blame for it... you're swamped.
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:25 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I gained a full second at autocross just with adding the Schroth belt to my SE-R. I no longer had to think about tensing various parts of my body to hold me in the seat using the OE belts.

I was enlightened when racing LeMons at how well a race seat and a six-point harness held me fast. No flopping, no movement, just me intimately connected to the car. Bring on the G's!
Old 11-05-2017, 10:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Right. What with your country's 500 anniversary to plan, your bride to murder and Guilder to blame for it... you're swamped.
Please I did all that last week while working 60 hours.

I gained a full second at autocross just with adding the Schroth belt to my SE-R. I no longer had to think about tensing various parts of my body to hold me in the seat using the OE belts.

I was enlightened when racing LeMons at how well a race seat and a six-point harness held me fast. No flopping, no movement, just me intimately connected to the car. Bring on the G's!
What's seats did you have in your SE-R that you added belts to?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:13 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

My street SE-R used the OE seat.

The LeMons SE-R had a Sparco, I believe.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:01 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
If it arrives before I leave work on Tuesday, I should be able to install it on Wed on my day off. Otherwise, probably next weekend.

Actually, I am planning to keep the factory seat belts since the Bride seat brackets are supposed to have mounts for them. As much as I like track days, it will always spend the majority of it's time on the street.

Glad to hear you finally have your seat on the way! I can confirm that the Bride brackets do indeed include mounts and hardware for the OEM front belt buckles. Keep in mind that if you decide to go with a 4 (or 5) point racing harness then you will still need to add anchor points behind the front seats for the shoulder harnesses... something like a bolt in roll/harness bar behind the front seats... Or you could use extended shoulder harnesses so you can reach the rear seat belt anchor points but this also makes the rear seats basically useless for rear passengers. So if you aren't tracking the car all the time then I would just stick with the OEM belts.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Or you could use extended shoulder harnesses so you can reach the rear seat belt anchor points but this also makes the rear seats basically useless for rear passengers.
Wow. This is crazy. But if it's something you only clip into place when racing, why not?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:09 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Be careful of the angle. Shoulder harness must have less than 45 degree angle or it won't work as designed.

And neither the above nor the Rallye 3 would allowed anywhere near a track by a race organization. Track event and autocross, sure.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Ah, well... It did look rather silly.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:29 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
45 degrees, harness bar, or cage if you are going to have a harness. Without that the harness can cause unsafe spine compression in an accident, even at low speeds. Most will say against a bar because if you roll the car with a cage it helps prevent head injury (read: head being crushed) that the harness will not allow you to move away from, with a bar there is no protection. It's all about safety, not people being mean, just people trying to save lives when the worst happens. Harnesses are great at what they do, but a little to great and without the supporting mods it is a dangerous thing. My 2 cents.

And for the record, I have a harness bar in my B14 with a 5-point, so obviously I play with fire, but would recommend a cage for worst case scenarios.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

My street SE-R used the OE seat.

The LeMons SE-R had a Sparco, I believe.
I bet the harness made a huge difference in those stock seats, especially in an autocross. Hopefully, the Sparcos are snug enough for me as they are, but only a few track days will tell. Thanks for the idea if the new seat is not enough for me.

Wow. This is crazy. But if it's something you only clip into place when racing, why not?

Looks like an Evo 8. Very close to 45 degrees on those belts, but not a chance I would want to take.

The seat is supposed to arrive today. I also found out today I have to come in on my day off for 3 hours of Nissan training in the afternoon- when I was planning to install the seat and clutch pedal. I do have Sun-Tue off though so I will probably do the install this weekend.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:50 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Be careful of the angle. Shoulder harness must have less than 45 degree angle or it won't work as designed.

And neither the above nor the Rallye 3 would allowed anywhere near a track by a race organization. Track event and autocross, sure.
Yes, very good point... you definitely have to make sure the shoulder harness is at less than a 45° angle. Ideally they would be connected to a roll cage crossbar directly behind the front seats. From the angle of the photo the ones in that pic appear to be less than 45°, but its obviously tough to tell from a photo. I used to run a similar set-up to that pic in my old E36 M3 that I tracked on a regular basis. I ran it at Mid Ohio, Putnam, and IRP and none of those tracks had a problem with the shoulder harnesses being connected to the rear seat belt anchor points... Although that was almost 20 years ago, so things may have changed since then.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Hey look what just arrived! On first impressions the thigh bolsters are definitely snug- especially in the butt, but I think it will be better if I sit a bit more upright. Looking forward to getting this in the car.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

2Gornot2g- Did you get 2 allen bolts or 4 with your Bride seat rails to mount the brackets to the seat? For some reason I only got 2 so I need to run to the hardware store to pick up two more. I also noticed that the holes in the front cross rail are too wide to mate up to the Sparco seat so I will need to re-drill one of them. (hole on the left without the shiny silver allen bolt) Oddly enough the holes in the rear cross rail seem to match up ok with the seat??

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?