G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an extended warranty worth it/ how reliable is the G37S sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:36 PM
cmnork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgsurfs
I have a 2011 G37S, has 254000 miles and never been in the shop. Still going strong.

may be anecdotal, but this says a lot to me.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:43 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Don't listen to these people, buy a certified used car or get an extended warranty if you buy a Fiat, Chrysler, Alfa Romeo,Land Rover, Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. Now if you like to give your money away, buy one for your Infiniti. I only have 189k on the car. I plan on getting new plug coils and spark plugs. It feels like I should do the suspension soon. I figure around November I will start getting ready for such things.

They tried to sell me a extended warranty, but after wasting 250 on the last one and them telling me I could have a 1 year for 1700 or so, it was a no brainer to walk away.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Warranties are just another insurance vehicle (no pun), selling peace-of-mind. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Get the warranty, don't get the warranty. There's no wrong answer. I'm not going to disparage people who buy extended warranties (unless I already did, in which case oops.) Heck, we bought an extended warranty on my wife's Subaru when new, and it's a good feeling knowing every mechanical failure for 10 yearrs (or 100k miles) is covered.

Faith is always more compelling than statistics. That's how insurance companies make money.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
I bought a certified used 2012 Tacoma, and paid up for the extended “platinum” warranty through Toyota, not a third party provider. It cost me just shy of $1700 to extend to 7yrs after initial delivery.

So so far I’ve had $3400 in repairs done on the truck and still have another 4mo to go. This isn’t including the cost of the complementary rental.

The first year alone saw new leaf springs, carrier bearing, 2x u-joints, 2x motor mounts, harmonic balancer, trans mount and t-case mount, plus 3 days of rental car (brand new 3g Tacoma).

Toyota, like Nissan, are known for their reliability, so why a warranty? My Tacoma is driven in the summer only, off road, with a crap ton of weight; our tent alone weighs about 325lbs. I flex it, bounce it, and generally use the truck as a tool to get the family into the backcountry. I knew I was going to be hard on the truck, so the warranty was an investment. I guess that’s how you have to weigh it. I am more than capable and expierenced to accomplish far more invasive procedures on the truck. I knew I’d be breaking big things on the Tacoma. But I also with a toddler and another on the way, I’d never have the time to swap all that stuff myself. Yes to breaking, yes to skill, no to time, $1700 was a no-brainer.

Youll have to weigh your options.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
This is probably very generalized and cant be answered without specifics but will an extended powertrain warranty cover the rear gasket failure?
Old 04-04-2019, 05:50 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ezbme
I got my diff bushings replaced, if only I had known it had been done before it would have saved me some cash. If only Infiniti had cleaned the the diff cover I wouldn't have thought it needed it. The car only has 186k so I will have to get back to you when I put some miles on it. I have had the car since 2016 I had to replace the tires, and the oil, you might want to get the warranty. I had a warranty on a car before they never covered that stuff. I ended up paying 250 and canceling it after a month when they wouldn't cover any BMW suspension parts on my BMW.

My tires were like 340 and my oil is like 75 a year, so I don't see a reason to pay 2k for a warranty
186k miles???or kilometers?..either way..the whole "only 186k" is a good way to look at it...I am at 116k and did plugs, valve gasket and recently pads/rotors but otherwise nothing..so a warranty wouldn't have helped me in any case i don believe, so up to this point it was a good gamble not to go with warranty ...
Old 02-13-2021, 04:40 AM
JBABYBACK
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Most milage than any car I owned 2009 g37x

As of 2/13/2021.. My 2009 Infinitig37x- 287,400 miles.. no engine leaks or transmission leaks.. Hate to say, never changed a plug either.... changed battery, Rotors, all the wheel bearings And of course Oil I put about 40,000 miles a yr
Old 02-13-2021, 10:11 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
186k miles???or kilometers?..either way..the whole "only 186k" is a good way to look at it...I am at 116k and did plugs, valve gasket and recently pads/rotors but otherwise nothing..so a warranty wouldn't have helped me in any case i don believe, so up to this point it was a good gamble not to go with warranty ...
207k Miles now. I had the sparkplugs and 4 of the coils replaced. I also had the PCV valves replaced. The Disappointing thing to me is that the coils are more expensive then ones you would buy for an audi or BMW. Not to mention OEM Equivalent is a little of a ?? I could have bought used ones for $20. There were ones that were nissan on ebay, but I wondered if they were genuine. Nissan will charge you at least 100 each. I bought Hitachi, which were about 58, but they came in with the coil saying hanshin. Apparently Hanshin makes the coil for Hitachi, Denso and a less expensive coil brand which I can't remember. With my old BMW, I would just order from FCP Euro, they were about the best price you could get.

I knew that my spark plugs were replaced around 120k miles I think two of them had a little oil on them but my mechanic said that they were loose as well. While that was happening, I had the throttle bodies cleaned. My right side VCG looks like it will need to be replaced. I had the transmission drained and filled around 200k miles, prior to that I had the transmission flushed twice at 170, only because the dealer put in non factory fluid and I insisted that they re-do it. I had the rear diff bushings replaced with Z1 poly which turned out not to be needed. Prior to me owning the car, someone had the dealer replace the whole rear subframe replaced under warranty. My diff cover had the mark of shame, which I think was because the dealer didn't clean it off. I also had the rear hoses and clips replaced. I have had the car for 50k 4.25 years so far.I have TEIN Flex sitting in my garage. I plan on keeping it until 250k perhaps more.

Rear Diff Bushings Replaced, Diff drained and filled 700
Transmission Flushed 200
Transmission Drained 100
Coolant Flush, New Hoses 300
Spark Plugs and Coils 400
Oil Changes 250
Batteries 115
Tires 440
Old 02-16-2021, 10:02 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
When I still had my 2010 G37x Coupe, it had over 250k miles on it and it was still running like a champ. No oil leaks, didn't burn oil, had a couple coolant leaks but simple replacement of a couple hoses and that was fixed, FINALLY needed new control arms and struts at 250k miles, and a new front drive shaft at around 220k miles.

These cars are extremely reliable, especially if you catch things before they completely break/wear out. Preventative maintenance is huge, and keeps you from getting stranded on the side of the road and in the long run will save you money.

Preventative maintenance is truly what keeps cars being relaiable. If you just replace things when they break, you'll never be done fixing things and you'll think the car is not reliable. If you can get ahead of it, you'll be much better off.
The following users liked this post:
flipmode007 (02-20-2021)