Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:20 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I suspect this is something better appreciated in the 6MT than the Journey, but would love for a Journey owner to install this and report back.
I'm tempted. Simple, inexpensive and easily reversible. Just waiting to hear more from furlow to decide which to buy.

Been researcing valve bodies upgrades. Am I correct to surmise Level10 is the only game in town now? Oh heck, that's a tangent threat.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I'm tempted. Simple, inexpensive and easily reversible. Just waiting to hear more from furlow to decide which to buy.
You mean PG-v36_6MT, and the Vibra-Technics mount that he found out of the UK, right? I'm looking forward to reading about that, too.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:40 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Glad to know the sound I'm hearing is normal, and cement mixer is a hilariously perfect description. I was hoping it was something fixable, but it is what is, I can live with it.

I tried taking a video but as Rochester said it doesn't do it justice. It would be like trying to take a video of a new subwoofer that you got, telling everyone how good it "sounds." Some sound isn't as much of something you hear as it is something you feel. That's the best way to describe this.

If before the purr of the engine and transmission was a 2-3, it's now a 7-8. It's not like you're suddenly in a '67 Camaro with a 4 barrel carburetor, but it's now closer to that than a Prius with zero engine purr/rumble.

I also agree that it makes everything more pronounced, so some sounds make me nervous and others give me a huge smile. Regardless, it made the car really come to life, and it's now more sports sedan than luxury sedan (if it ever was truly "luxury").

My apologies for the rushed post yesterday, I realized after Rochester's response that it wasn't 100% apparent that I was talking about the transmission mount, and not the short shifter. I'm still considering the short shifter, but may wait until there is a remedy for the reduced height of the shift ****. Mine is already lower since I swapped it for a titanium ****, and I don't think I'd like it any lower than it is now.

Anyway, off for another drive for no reason, other than to just shift through the gear. Yes, I'm serious, it's THAT much of a difference.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
If before the purr of the engine and transmission was a 2-3, it's now a 7-8.
For me... as a 1-10 scale, where zero is a typical car, and in year-over-year sequence for installation, I would rate the noise as follows:

Year - level - mod
---- ------ ----
2012 - 2 - OEM
2013 - 3 - Intake and hood-liner delete
2014 - 4 - Resonated Cats
2015 - 6 - Resonated Catback
2016 - 8 - Transmission Mount

Naturally, these numbers come out of thin air. (no pun)

I'm still considering the short shifter, but may wait until there is a remedy for the reduced height of the shift ****. Mine is already lower since I swapped it for a titanium ****, and I don't think I'd like it any lower than it is now.
Working on it... waiting on the custom stand-off from LatheWerks.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Furlow

For me... as a 1-10 scale, where zero is a typical car, and in year-over-year sequence for installation, I would rate the noise as follows:

Year - level - mod
---- ------ ----
2012 - 2 - OEM
2013 - 3 - Intake and hood-liner delete
2014 - 4 - Resonated Cats
2015 - 6 - Resonated Catback
2016 - 8 - Transmission Mount

Naturally, these numbers come out of thin air. (no pun)
Hmm, so you only think the tranny mount added 2 "points" on your scale? Interesting. I don't have resonated cats, so I can't comment there. I was giving a 2 to what I had prior (intake, cat-back exhaust) versus adding the tranny mount. I like where you're going with this though.

Using your scale, for me:

OEM - 0 to 1 (felt very much like a typical car to me)
Cat-back exhaust - 2 (not a huge difference unless WOT)
Intake - 2.5 to 3 (negligible difference unless WOT)
Tranny mount - 8

Maybe I'm weighting the mount too heavily, as it's my most recent mod? It's possible. I'll give it a couple days and weeks and continue to comment. Perhaps I'll get used to it more, and perhaps it will "settle" in as well.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Different cars, different components and probably a different schedule. But yeah, I would say the mount was a 2-pt tick on this arbitrary scale. The 2.5" FI cat-back was really the loudest mod on my car... possibly because I also have FI cats, I don't know. But like you're starting to experience, I think it's settling in for me. As I look at future plans, I keep moving motor mounts up and back down the list.

Trying to figure out how to take a reasonable in-cabin video that showcases what it sounds like. It's a tough thing, with so many factors: windows open or closed, ambient noise, traffic, speed, RPM, etc. And then there's the biggest hurdle: I don't have a GoPro.

This morning, I had a short meet-up with another 6MT Sedan owner here in town (there are two of us! LOL), and I got to witness two entertaining WTF moments. One when he ran through the gears on this STS, and the other was when I started the car.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-20-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Furlow

Different cars, different components and probably a different schedule. But yeah, I would say the mount was a 2-pt tick on this arbitrary scale. The 2.5" FI cat-back was really the loudest mod on my car... possibly because I also have FI cats, I don't know. But like you're starting to experience, I think it's settling in for me. As I look at future plans, I keep moving motor mounts up and back down the list.

Trying to figure out how to take a reasonable in-cabin video that showcases what it sounds like. It's a tough thing, with so many factors: windows open or closed, ambient noise, traffic, speed, RPM, etc. And then there's the biggest hurdle: I don't have a GoPro.

This morning, I had a short meet-up with another 6MT Sedan owner here in town (there are two of us! LOL), and I got to witness two entertaining WTF moments. One when he ran through the gears on this STS, and the other was when I started the car.
Perhaps the FI cats and FI cat-back is significantly more "purr" than my stock cats and 2.5" piping into Tanabe mufflers. Either way, we agree that inside the cabin, the Z1 transmission mount makes a noticeable difference.

So the "WTF moments" both came from him, from the engine start and gear shifts? Man, I REALLY like how short the throws are from your video, but I agree with you that it looks like a loss of .5" or more in overall height. Just not sure I'd enjoy that.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Man, I REALLY like how short the throws are from your video, but I agree with you that it looks like a loss of .5" or more in overall height. Just not sure I'd enjoy that.
You can change the height a lot by the shift **** you use and how far down the threads go.

Another option is to place a washer just large enough that it will slide over the threads (but no further down) so that the shift **** will not thread down as far and gain you quite a bit of height without having to do anything as crazy as custom thread extensions.

This is what I did with my B&M kit and it is the perfect height for me and an awesome shifter to boot.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Furlow

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
You can change the height a lot by the shift **** you use and how far down the threads go.

Another option is to place a washer just large enough that it will slide over the threads (but no further down) so that the shift **** will not thread down as far and gain you quite a bit of height without having to do anything as crazy as custom thread extensions.

This is what I did with my B&M kit and it is the perfect height for me and an awesome shifter to boot.

But if you sacrifice .5" of threads, doesn't that compromise the strength of the **** and it's connection to the shaft? Not that I'm slamming my shifts or pushing with tremendous weight on it, but it just seems like the threads are there for a reason...

Here's my current setup, for reference.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You can raise your **** (approx) 1/2" if you're willing to sacrifice 1/2" of threaded contact, either by using washers at the base as 4DRZ said, or by only threading the **** half way becauce of obsrtruction inside the ****, like I did.

Guys... you know that I'll review this custom standoff when it arrives, probably next week sometime. Have faith. Be patient.

Furlow, that cylindrical **** looks fantastic. I forgot that you had that.
The following users liked this post:
Furlow (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:36 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Guys... you know that I'll review this custom standoff when it arrives, probably next week sometime. Have faith. Be patient.
F*ck patience. I already bought an M10x1.25 extension off ebay lol
Old 05-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
F*ck patience. I already bought an M10x1.25 extension off ebay lol
What the heck? How did you find that?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:33 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
What the heck? How did you find that?
Uhh, it's called "search". There's dozens of these extensions for sale on eBay. Most of them are from China, of course. The one I bought was from a seller in Cali, so it cost a bit more, but I wanted one soon so I could experiment.

It's 3" which is probably too long, but that's the shortest extension I could find and I just wanted to test it out. $25 shipped is a small price to pay to experiment imo.

Name:  DSC00744_zps9pj5rkwv.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  372.0 KB

Name:  DSC00746_zpsowakou5f.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  388.2 KB

Name:  DSC00747_zps0nfm5kbx.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  393.6 KB

So it looks to add 2" of total height. Would it be possible to shorten the female end and then re-tap the opening?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:06 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You mean PG-v36_6MT, and the Vibra-Technics mount that he found out of the UK, right?
Duh. Hey, if anyone finds my memory lying around, please send me a PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It's 3" which is probably too long, but that's the shortest extension I could find and I just wanted to test it out. $25 shipped is a small price to pay to experiment imo.
So it looks to add 2" of total height. Would it be possible to shorten the female end and then re-tap the opening?
I hope it works out for you. You're pretty good at this stuff, Liam.

Uhh, it's called "search".

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount