G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions: Q50 Red Sport 400 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 10:06 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Well the reviewer had Auto Trace control on. You have to disable that separately from the VDC button.

The integrated turbo's are genius. Why? Almost no turbo Lag. Why do you think the GTR has them as well? Must we not forget that when the GTR launched everyone bashed the turbo set up in that car. Now look at, king of the modding world.

DAS, again, you guys go off of hear say. Live with a car with DAS and 90% of you will change your minds.

The one thing Infiniti needs to go and it will improve the steering feel tremendously is swap out those Run Flats for some real tires. I had the chance to drive a customers AWD Q50S Hybrid that he switch out tires on. Had the Super Sports I belive and damn did that thing drive differently. Had the DAS in Quick, Heavy and you could tell the difference.
The following 3 users liked this post by eljoker:
halfshaft (06-08-2016), InfinitiFreak (06-08-2016), twin_snails (06-13-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:53 AM
halfshaft

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
I think the reviewers point was there are far too many safe guards in the car, not that the system doesn't work as a whole. The fact a 400hp rwd car can't drift, when you turn off the stability programs, is an issue. Why bother buying a "sport sedan" that can't act like one? It's redundant and neutered at its core.

I for one have zero intrest in this car, as the reviewer proved a point. It's quick and it can be a semi fun car, only as long as you don't push it to an edge. I for one have no interest in my car telling me what I can and can't do with it when I decide I want to tear up some pavement.
There is a single button on the steering wheel that turns on/off all the additional driving aids/autonomous features. Something that the reviewer conveniently ignored because he had pretty much already made up his mind about the car and knew that he wanted to portray the car in a certain way in his review.

Oddly enough, the MotorTrend guy who wrote the online first drive review of this car was much more positive:
"But on an autocross course set up by Infiniti, the Sport+/Dynamic+ setting turned the Q50 Red Sport 400 into a roaring, responsive funmobile.
"
Infiniti Q50 Review and Rating - Motor Trend

Honestly I thought the Q50 was a terrible car and that DAS was a video game controller all because I just read the reviews by the auto community. I then got a loaner Q50 for a few days and after living with it for a few days, the car actually makes a lot of sense. DAS isn't perfect but it is pretty good in the real world, maybe not on a track. I would say many of the Q50 features are sensible on real roads and for real regular drivers. People need to actually try the car before trashing it because they read some online review.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfshaft:
InfinitiFreak (06-08-2016), twin_snails (06-13-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 12:28 PM
eljoker

Originally Posted by halfshaft
There is a single button on the steering wheel that turns on/off all the additional driving aids/autonomous features. Something that the reviewer conveniently ignored because he had pretty much already made up his mind about the car and knew that he wanted to portray the car in a certain way in his review.

Oddly enough, the MotorTrend guy who wrote the online first drive review of this car was much more positive:
"But on an autocross course set up by Infiniti, the Sport+/Dynamic+ setting turned the Q50 Red Sport 400 into a roaring, responsive funmobile.
"
Infiniti Q50 Review and Rating - Motor Trend

Honestly I thought the Q50 was a terrible car and that DAS was a video game controller all because I just read the reviews by the auto community. I then got a loaner Q50 for a few days and after living with it for a few days, the car actually makes a lot of sense. DAS isn't perfect but it is pretty good in the real world, maybe not on a track. I would say many of the Q50 features are sensible on real roads and for real regular drivers. People need to actually try the car before trashing it because they read some online review.
I bet half the people that bash it here havent driven it and if they have only for a few minutes.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I'm too old to want skynet to drive the car for me
Old 06-08-2016, 01:56 PM
blackhawksfan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Nissan no longer recommend a break-in period? I certainly wouldn't buy a car if I knew it was treated as described in these test drive reviews.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:16 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhawksfan81
Does Nissan no longer recommend a break-in period? I certainly wouldn't buy a car if I knew it was treated as described in these test drive reviews.
Pretty sure all cars recommend a break in period. This is one reason I don't buy used cars, as I like to know it was broken in and maintained properly.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
DAS, again, you guys go off of hear say. Live with a car with DAS and 90% of you will change your minds.

The one thing Infiniti needs to go and it will improve the steering feel tremendously is swap out those Run Flats for some real tires.
The steering feel is a big part of a driving experience. Can it be fixed? Sure in time but these are the struggles one faces with a car, a first of its kind. It's going to take time for someone to perfect the experience but the advantages and possibilities heavily out weigh the negatives.

And btw, I took a regular Q50 out for a test drive, fudged around with the steering and I personally wasn't a fan of the feel. Just my 2cent
Old 06-10-2016, 06:08 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts

Drove the Q50s Red Sport today after dropping my wife's car off to get an oil change. This one came in this morning and they had to take all the wrapping off before my test drive.

Here are my thoughts which I've shared:
Torque very linear but it felt like it falls on its face up top. It feels like it is around 300-350wtq down low, but the torque seems to die off quickly after 5000-5500 rpm. Can't hear exhaust or turbo at all, I think most of the cabin noise is from the tires. It is definitely quicker than stock VQ37s, I'm sure with tuning and opening up the exhaust it could sound better. The automatic does shift decently, not as fast as a DCT as it lags a bit but pretty good. The steering is weird even in Sport+, I could definitely tell it was trying to adjust on turn in and all the power seems to go to just one wheel when exiting a turn.

I felt disconnected with the road driving the Q50s, which could be a plus for anyone looking for a less effort/luxury driving experience. In stock form I think the vehicle would serve well for someone looking for a cush street/city driving experience with enough low end to quickly make lane changes and get around cars. Anyone looking for top end power would want to look into another vehicle as it's just not there on the Q50s - perhaps this could be fixed with tuning later on though.

Last edited by ttv36; 06-10-2016 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:23 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Great review Tony! And yeah, it'll be interesting to see what the aftermarket opens up for the car. And I can see how it doesn't compare to your awesome beast of a sedan, which is very clean and tastefully modded.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:03 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
So I dropped my car off on Saturday to have an axle replaced unser warranty, and kicked the tires on the 3.0T premiun( Non Red sport) Supposed 300 HP and 300 TRQ( is more). I was pretty impressed with the car, considering my car is supposed have more HP. The acceleration felt very good but the same as above I could feel it fall off up top, but a tune would solve that. I could how ever actually heat the turbos spool" slight whine noise" on the hard accells the sale guy let me get on it alot , LOL even with the AC on the felt very good IMO. I would consider this one over the Red sport just for the fact that it is 20k less, and I think the motor and turbos are the same, only difference I could find on paper was the Red Sport has a twin pump intercool and the premium only has one and I'm sure the boost pressure is a few 4/5 PSI less
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (07-29-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 AM
eljoker

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
So I dropped my car off on Saturday to have an axle replaced unser warranty, and kicked the tires on the 3.0T premiun( Non Red sport) Supposed 300 HP and 300 TRQ( is more). I was pretty impressed with the car, considering my car is supposed have more HP. The acceleration felt very good but the same as above I could feel it fall off up top, but a tune would solve that. I could how ever actually heat the turbos spool" slight whine noise" on the hard accells the sale guy let me get on it alot , LOL even with the AC on the felt very good IMO. I would consider this one over the Red sport just for the fact that it is 20k less, and I think the motor and turbos are the same, only difference I could find on paper was the Red Sport has a twin pump intercool and the premium only has one and I'm sure the boost pressure is a few 4/5 PSI less
20k less? Damn if they are marking them up that high, I'm at the wrong dealership.

I agree, a tune will do wonders. Now we play the waiting game to see who comes out first with a tune.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eljoker
20k less? Damn if they are marking them up that high, I'm at the wrong dealership.

I agree, a tune will do wonders. Now we play the waiting game to see who comes out first with a tune.
Really what are the 3.0T premiums where you are. The one I was in was 38k, the Reds sports are like 56-60k
Old 07-20-2016, 09:38 AM
eljoker

Really what are the 3.0T premiums where you are. The one I was in was 38k, the Reds sports are like 56-60k
The 3.0t starts at 39,900, the 3.0t sport starts at 43,900, the rs starts at 47,950. I mean comparing a base rwd 3.0t to a loaded AWD Rs will be close to 20k if that's what your looking at.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:13 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Ah yea the 3.0T premium is AWD and the Redsports they have are AWD, So no :/ similarly eqiup't AWD Premium to Redsport AWD is just about 20k
Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 AM
eljoker

Ah yea the 3.0T premium is AWD and the Redsports they have are AWD, So no :/ similarly eqiup't AWD Premium to Redsport AWD is just about 20k
You in Canada? Im showing $41,900 for 3.0t AWD premium and $49,950 RS AWD, Apples To Apples. Loaded 3.0t 52,395 to RS Loaded $59,045. At any given time between 8k to 6k difference apples to apples.