G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Too bad you couldn't have done some of that work yourself. That probably pushes some of your other mods on the list back further.Glad you got the G back on the road before your winter wheels come out.
PS hose was $20, Serp belt was $30, 4-quarts of Redline MT-85 was $60, and I've been collecting them over time. (IDK how much PS fluid was, but meh.) The starter was a reman, at $250, and he charged me 3.5 hours in labor. So it's all proper, and fair.

Mod plans... I think for my (January) birthday, I'm going to drop $200 on poly motor mounts from Z1 Motorsports, then back to the shop in the Spring for the install. The only other "big mod" is a tune, and if I do the motor mounts in 2019, that pushes the tune into 2020. The tune was supposed to be this year, but things happen.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:34 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Unfortunately yes, things happen.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 AM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yesterday changed the rear diff and mt fluids without issue. Then tried the dreaded clutch fluid flush. I never thought I would hate the G. This was such a pain in all my holes 😣. Not sure of the significance of the need for 1000 pumps after every bleed but, will probably will never try that again.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:18 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
I picked up my AAM intake manifold from the polisher and also finished the epoxy coating on my garage floor.

The following 5 users liked this post by 2GoRNot2G:
blnewt (09-13-2018), markyo0o (09-14-2018), r2dmax (09-14-2018), Rochester (09-13-2018), slartibartfast (09-15-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 09:05 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Oooh, someone finally got that manifold. Super excited to see it in the bay! Like fine wine, that car is aging with grace lol. Mad props Adrian.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Beautiful. Both.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Well just another example of living right, simply gorgeous, not overdone but so functional, and should be easy to keep that way. Great job Adrian!
Old 09-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I picked up my AAM intake manifold from the polisher and also finished the epoxy coating on my garage floor.
sexy intake and floor. How long did the floor take to do? did you do it in stages? what product did you use?...I was thinking of doing mine with a kit Costco has for a few hundred dollars (Canadian)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Not exactly something I did, but something that just happened.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:13 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
meanwhile, i just hit 130k yesterday lol.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:24 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
meanwhile, i just hit 130k yesterday lol.
#metoo lol. Last week.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:21 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by hexotic
Oooh, someone finally got that manifold. Super excited to see it in the bay! Like fine wine, that car is aging with grace lol. Mad props Adrian.
Thanks, Andy! Mike at AAM gave me a deal I couldn't refuse for the manifold in order to check fitment on the HR motor. I was planning to do dyno tune before and after the install but I really don't have time for that right now, so for now I just plan to install the manifold and see how it runs. I will probably also get the car retuned afterwards.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Beautiful. Both.
Thanks... Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by blnewt
Well just another example of living right, simply gorgeous, not overdone but so functional, and should be easy to keep that way. Great job Adrian!
Thanks, Brad. I plan to be in this house for the next 15 years until I'm ready retire, so I really wanted to put in something that will hold up well and still look good years from now. The previous owner had previously used a DIY epoxy box kit from one of the big box hardware stores and it just wasn't holding up. That really made it a pain to recoat though as we had to grind the old coating completely off before starting with the new coating... Took me and two friends a day and half to completely grind the old floor coating off... definitely not something I would recommend doing for anyone over the age of 45, especially if you have a bad back!

Originally Posted by Hashim
sexy intake and floor. How long did the floor take to do? did you do it in stages? what product did you use?...I was thinking of doing mine with a kit Costco has for a few hundred dollars (Canadian)
Hey man. Thanks for the nice words. The floor was a big project partially because the old coating had to be completely removed first. The entire process took about 5 days (not including a one week final dry time) with a day and half just grinding off the old floor. The new coating was applied in 4 stages. The first was a primer coat that we let dry overnight. The second coat was a base coat with the main charcoal grey color epoxy, which had to dry for 24 hours. The third coat was the main coat which consisted of a mixture of two different color epoxies, the main charcoal grey color and a lighter steel grey color, plus about 5 pounds of real metal-flake was added to the mix to help give the floor that liquid metal look. Once the main coat set for an hour or two we sprinkled the floor with acetone to give it that cratered look to try and make it looks more like stone. Then we let the epoxy dry for around 36 hours. Then the final coat was a UV resistant polyurethane coating to help protect the floor against fading and also add another layer of durability. This is the only coat that really didn't go well... the epoxy coating looked like glass before we added the polyurethane coating, but it was so hot (even at 7:00 am) out when we laid the poly coat that it was literally starting to set before it even had a chance to level out, so the floor now has a bit of an orange peel look to the surface instead of being as smooth as glass. It really bugged me at first and I was thinking of adding another poly coat but after I put everything back in the garage and parked my cars in there I barely notice the orange peel now.

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 07:33 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
Forgot to mention that I have a friend that does this for a living so I got all of the supplies through him which aren't available over the counter and he also had all of the proper equipment to do the job right. The total cost just for the materials was around $1800 (that was for 1000 sq-ft of coverage, so figure on maybe 1/2 that or a little more for a standard 2 car garage) so it's not a cheap endeavor even if you plan on doing the work yourself. I'm not familiar with the Costco kits, but I would stay away from the box kits you see at Home Depot or Lowes if your looking for something to last for years and years. The is the 3rd house/garage that I've done the floor. The first was back in the 1990's when I bought my first house and there weren't many options back then so I used a two part epoxy from Home Depot... I even roughed the floor with a sander and etched the floor with muriatic acid and it still was starting to wear through and flake after just a couple of years. I learned my lesson with that house and have used professional coatings since. If your looking to do the floor yourself I have heard good things about the floor coating kits available from Car Guy Garage: https://www.carguygarage.com/epgafl.html
Old 09-14-2018, 07:38 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Not exactly something I did, but something that just happened.
Hahaha. Pretty cool that you were able to take a pic right at that moment. I just recently hit 60K on mine, but I was driving at the time so couldn't get a picture. But I'm pretty sure it still happened even though I don't have photo evidence. LOL

I also noticed that all of your instrument cluster lights for your RPM gauge are still working. I've lost 2 different backlighting zones behind the RPM gauge in the past year or so and was wondering if anyone else on here has had this some issue?
Old 09-15-2018, 04:36 PM
SFLG37S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today I took some glam shots. These cars still look fresh almost 10 years out.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?