G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 03:00 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I've been chasing a front end rattle since last fall - audible over small bumps at slower speeds - rough pavement in a residential district with the windows down is the perfect way to duplicate. I replaced sway bar end links and sway bar bushings before diagnosing as loose caliper.

Replaced pads, hardware and caliper pin boots today and cleaned and properly lubed - sound is gone! Thought I recorded a video at the end but it is unbelievably hot and humid here today and I apparently forgot to hit record? Cost me $40 and about 1.5 hours of time.

-Eric

Video when starting this morning (noise start @ 1:12):

The following 2 users liked this post by llebcire:
guy from norcal (06-30-2018), slartibartfast (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 05:44 PM
QuinnDEskimo
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Update - There’s no CEL after driving for about 50 miles so I’m feeling confident that won’t change. I noticed at highway speeds it pulls better in the range where it should. I think the sound I’m hearing is “rasp” as everyone refers to it as referring to the tinny sound. Can’t hear it with windows up but when they’re down it’s noticeable.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:00 PM
VQ-Vic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Got the CF Rad cover from a G sedan partout in the US.

Got it installed quickly, and while I had the cover out, cleaned the intake filter underneath.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:51 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by QuinnDEskimo
Update - There’s no CEL after driving for about 50 miles so I’m feeling confident that won’t change. I noticed at highway speeds it pulls better in the range where it should. I think the sound I’m hearing is “rasp” as everyone refers to it as referring to the tinny sound. Can’t hear it with windows up but when they’re down it’s noticeable.
Mine has no rasp, but there is a noticeable hiss around 1800-2k on decel... fully attributed to the cats
Old 07-01-2018, 08:42 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Nice Vic, but I thought you were about to part out and sell the g?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:58 AM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So this weekend I got the front coil-overs installed and I have to say I am loving the ride and look! D2 Racing coil-overs are really nice in my opinion very happy with height and ride quality still letting them settle in before alignment hoping its not too bad. But for now I,m very happy with the outcome and install was good aside from the janky bracket for the brake hose that was give so just fabricated my own.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:36 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice job on the settings there^^^from the pics it looks well balanced front to back. Shouldn't settle much more than that.
The following users liked this post:
DollHouz (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:14 AM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice job on the settings there^^^from the pics it looks well balanced front to back. Shouldn't settle much more than that.
Thanks man I'm really happy with them.I was going crazy adjusting for a bit because one side was 2/16 off (ground to top of fender measure), until I asked a friend of mine and said its not a big deal (hope he is right) but nothing noticeable to the look. With this so close to completion the next mod is to be thought of hmmm

Also i saw a thread talking about scraping and read through believe it was your post that road awareness really increases when you're lowered (pot-holes, dips, uneven road). I was pulling into a dunkin donuts and had to u-turn to a different exit because it was too steep did not even want to risk it hah
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 AM
stiizy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DollHouz
Thanks man I'm really happy with them.I was going crazy adjusting for a bit because one side was 2/16 off (ground to top of fender measure), until I asked a friend of mine and said its not a big deal (hope he is right) but nothing noticeable to the look. With this so close to completion the next mod is to be thought of hmmm

Also i saw a thread talking about scraping and read through believe it was your post that road awareness really increases when you're lowered (pot-holes, dips, uneven road). I was pulling into a dunkin donuts and had to u-turn to a different exit because it was too steep did not even want to risk it hah
Car looks dope bro!! Scraping yep, I cant even back into my driveway anymore. My left Exhaust tip is legit dying lol. I Live in SI, took my car on the belt after drop. Never Again
Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 AM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by stiizy
Car looks dope bro!! Scraping yep, I cant even back into my driveway anymore. My left Exhaust tip is legit dying lol. I Live in SI, took my car on the belt after drop. Never Again
HA HA thats too funny I used to always back into my driveway and tried to yesterday and nope plus its slightly raised pavers so almost ripped my front bumper off. I have noticed tho when i do scrape the lower grille knocks out like 30% of the time which is kind of annoying to keep pulling to click back in but it looks so good I guess I'll deal with it for now. Im on Long Island and even the roads here are so damn unforgiving.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:08 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
So this weekend I got the front coil-overs installed and I have to say I am loving the ride and look! D2 Racing coil-overs are really nice in my opinion very happy with height and ride quality still letting them settle in before alignment hoping its not too bad. But for now I,m very happy with the outcome and install was good aside from the janky bracket for the brake hose that was give so just fabricated my own.

Looks nice .Love the drop. Quick question, what's the height from fender to ground? Also, how much did you get your d2 racing coilovers for ?

Was just wondering as I am looking to drop my G (planning on getting the tein street basis Z) but I read that the rear does not drop evenly with the front (rear maybe drops an inch ?). So now I am looking at if I should buy another coilover (under $900-1000) but not sure where to look . I read a review on the Tein Flex Z from 4DRZ and he said they were awful, so cross those off the list . This leaves only a few options.

I just don't want to get the tein and find out the rear doesn't drop enough. Looking for ideal ride height, not slammed where I'll bottom out and get stuck going up a driveway
Old 07-02-2018, 01:24 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by SkyG37
Looks nice .Love the drop. Quick question, what's the height from fender to ground? Also, how much did you get your d2 racing coilovers for ?

Was just wondering as I am looking to drop my G (planning on getting the tein street basis Z) but I read that the rear does not drop evenly with the front (rear maybe drops an inch ?). So now I am looking at if I should buy another coilover (under $900-1000) but not sure where to look . I read a review on the Tein Flex Z from 4DRZ and he said they were awful, so cross those off the list . This leaves only a few options.

I just don't want to get the tein and find out the rear doesn't drop enough. Looking for ideal ride height, not slammed where I'll bottom out and get stuck going up a driveway
Thanks man and i have to remeasure but last i checked was 26.5" in the front and back I believe. When I'm out of work ill measure to give exact. D2 coilovers costed me about $985 shipped (there are cheaper out there but i liked the customer service that was provided). Also at this height I do have minor scrapes but nothing that paying attention to and being more careful won't help.

Also are you an X model? That really narrows down choices as well.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:16 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Yeah, having to worry about grounding parts of the car while driving blows chunks. I never touched anything until I put on coil-overs. Had to raise the rear to max safe height so my ARK exhaust didn't scrape backing into my driveway. I have pull out straight slowly so I don't scrape the front bumper. I've smacked the front subframe on two business entrances and two sharp dips in the road. Going to up the spring rate to 12/10 as the 10/8, while comfortable, is causing damage to my car. I have yet to hit damper bump stops.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:19 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks man and i have to remeasure but last i checked was 26.5" in the front and back I believe. When I'm out of work ill measure to give exact. D2 coilovers costed me about $985 shipped (there are cheaper out there but i liked the customer service that was provided). Also at this height I do have minor scrapes but nothing that paying attention to and being more careful won't help.

Also are you an X model? That really narrows down choices as well.
Not an X model, but. RWD sedan . I am aiming at the same height of around 26.25-26.75" from the ground as well . Does anyone know if the tein street basis can achieve this? I'm about to go measure the G/F height for oem suspension.

I shouldn't of spent like 3gs on my exhausts ;( I could've had more money for my suspension haha
Old 07-02-2018, 02:24 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Every RWD coil-over I found was designed for the Z. We're lucky they fit the V platform. Some, like the KW, really don't fit right as the rear is too low and requires a spacer to bring up the rear.

Be sure to check the RWD coil-over thread in the suspension forum to see the astounding array available.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?