G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:15 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
I had to file and then epoxy my cutouts, but theyre perfect now.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Im gonna try to file them to make them more even, and then wrap the visible part of the chrome spoiler black I guess. Should make it look better.

Does it actually fit well on the car though? I probably wont try installing it till maybe Tuesday since it'll be like 70 out.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
I've seen some people have issues, mine is about 8/10. No chrome showing at all. It helps to install with two people, one to press it tightly into place, and second to peel the double-sided tape.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Got the Moog front end links installed over the weekend. Front clunking is slightly improved, but the verdict is out pending install of the replacement Eibach front swaybar bushings, which were supposed to arrive Friday, but still aren't here.

Install of the Moogs was simple enough, except for the Zerk fittings, 3 of which threaded right in, the 4th took a long time, almost like it wasnt threaded or the fitting was sized slightly off.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
What's your intended schedule for repacking the grease in those Moog end-links? Once a year?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
What's your intended schedule for repacking the grease in those Moog end-links? Once a year?
Probably every other oil change.

Do you recall how Eibach shipped your bushings? I think the guy said FedEx, so there is a chance they will be there when I get home. If it's USPS, I guess I have to wait for tomorrow because of the holiday.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:27 AM
QuinnDEskimo
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Lego you're lucky, I had to tap all the holes myself when I received mine. Lucky for me I still have my tools from my moldmaker days. As for greasing, I grease them depending on what they look like. I installed mine last summer and have only had to re-grease them once so far.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Probably every other oil change.

Do you recall how Eibach shipped your bushings? I think the guy said FedEx, so there is a chance they will be there when I get home. If it's USPS, I guess I have to wait for tomorrow because of the holiday.
Sorry, I can't recall. They didn't give me a tracking number, so it was probably USPS.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by QuinnDEskimo
Lego you're lucky, I had to tap all the holes myself when I received mine. Lucky for me I still have my tools from my moldmaker days. As for greasing, I grease them depending on what they look like. I installed mine last summer and have only had to re-grease them once so far.
Interesting, so there is some merit to my observation

In hindsight, I would recommend installing the fittings before install. The Instructions mention installing after install, and there is a little less room and it's more awkward, especially for those of us doing this on jack stands in their garage vs on a lift.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:24 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Got the Moog front end links installed over the weekend. Front clunking is slightly improved, but the verdict is out pending install of the replacement Eibach front swaybar bushings, which were supposed to arrive Friday, but still aren't here.
Can I ask what you're eliminating?

My car had a rattle over light bumps at slow speeds (15 - 25 mph) that was nearly eliminated by replacing both sway bar end links.

Some minor rattling noise does still exist and the front end is still clunky over bumps.

-Eric
Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by llebcire
Can I ask what you're eliminating?

My car had a rattle over light bumps at slow speeds (15 - 25 mph) that was nearly eliminated by replacing both sway bar end links.

Some minor rattling noise does still exist and the front end is still clunky over bumps.

-Eric
I have what is best described as a clunk in the front end.

Between a residential cut through and my parking lot at work, I have to navigate 9 speed bumps, twice a day. As soon as the front wheels hit the bumps, i get a clunk type noise.

I regreased the swaybar bushings and the sound went away for a few days, but came back, and has been getting worse. So, most likely culprits are the end links and bushings. Since they're cheap and relatively easy to fix, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I had the dealership look at it and they said "it's normal"

If this fix doesn't work, I'm taking it to my independent mechanic. If he can't find anything wrong, IDK
Old 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I had the exact same thing twice. The first time the endlink was totally shot, and then I replaced it with Moogs. the second time the nut on the front right endlink had somehow become loose and was just flopping around. No idea how that happened... I torqued them down. Now i loctited them on. I also replaced all the sway bar bushings since the grease channels had totally worn away. Clunk hasnt come back since.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

If this fix doesn't work, I'm taking it to my independent mechanic. If he can't find anything wrong, IDK
The psych on this is so disproportionate, and yet we all cucumber to it. I get so much joy out of owning and driving my modded 6MT Sedan, and yet all it takes is some annoying little thing to throw me off my emotional equilibrium.

Just a few days ago, I was driving down one of my neighborhood streets. Winter had heaved the pavement so badly, that I literally had to stop the car and catch my breath. The unforgiving ride on my G was untenable. I freaking hated it, and by extension blamed the car.

Not to mention the rear suspension squeak that I'm willing to sacrifice anything this Spring just to make go away. For the love of god, I want this noise to go away.

/rant
Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I have what is best described as a clunk in the front end.

Between a residential cut through and my parking lot at work, I have to navigate 9 speed bumps, twice a day. As soon as the front wheels hit the bumps, i get a clunk type noise.

I regreased the swaybar bushings and the sound went away for a few days, but came back, and has been getting worse. So, most likely culprits are the end links and bushings. Since they're cheap and relatively easy to fix, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I had the dealership look at it and they said "it's normal"

Thanks!

A local shop was unable to diagnose the noise initially and advised replacing the end links as they had play - as I mentioned this was 80% of the noise.

There are times that I like to drive without music with or without the windows down depending on the weather - this car isn't the best option for that due to the front end noises. Rather disappointing coming from a Honda (and Lexus before that).

Absolutely love the look and drive of the G, no so sure about the engineering.

-Eric
Old 02-19-2018, 03:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The psych on this is so disproportionate, and yet we all cucumber to it. I get so much joy out of owning and driving my modded 6MT Sedan, and yet all it takes is some annoying little thing to throw me off my emotional equilibrium.

Just a few days ago, I was driving down one of my neighborhood streets. Winter had heaved the pavement so badly, that I literally had to stop the car and catch my breath. The unforgiving ride on my G was untenable. I freaking hated it, and by extension blamed the car.

Not to mention the rear suspension squeak that I'm willing to sacrifice anything this Spring just to make go away. For the love of god, I want this noise to go away.

/rant
I don't really like cucumbers, but I've definitely succumbed to a emotionally disproportionate response

I know what you're saying though, I have a fragile vehicular equilibrium, and when it's gets thrown off, it's hard to get back on. It's progressed to the point I told my wife I'm ready to move on to something else if I can't track this down

Let's hope I have Eibach bushings on my front porch when I get home. If so, cold, rain, and lack of light be damned, I'm going to swap them out tonight.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?