G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake85
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATS!!! Oh man am I excited for you!!! Be sure to post up those pics when you get it, now I’m just as anxious as you! (*refreshes email*)
The following users liked this post:
Jake85 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 04:06 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha, finally bro. I'm happy you finally getting your stuff. Gas stations are going to love you, your wallet will hate you don't forget to post pics and vids.
The following users liked this post:
Jake85 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Clamp-on tips?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:43 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Clamp-on tips?
I called MD. Heard they are held on by screws. She said you can replace the tips by hand .
Old 10-18-2017, 05:29 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

How do you guys think an Ark Grip exhaust would sound if I had a shop weld an straight piped x pipe for my car. I called ark and they said the best way to make it louder is to keep the mufflers and remove the x pipe resonators. Unfornately , they aren't like FI and provide options for resonators. Keeping the mufflers should also help reduce the rasp more so than the x pipe does, therefore I must keep those.

Regardless, I might give than option instead of throwing 1700$ for MD when it may only be minimal increase in sound. How much would it cost to make an identical x pipe using 2.5" piping ? Prefer 302 SS? I would keep the original ARK xpipe just in case I sell the exhaust or tthe straight piped exhaust sounds like ***. Regardless, looks like I need to give my local exhaust shop a call.

​​​​​​
Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by SkyG37
How do you guys think an Ark Grip exhaust would sound if I had a shop weld an straight piped x pipe for my car. I called ark and they said the best way to make it louder is to keep the mufflers and remove the x pipe resonators. Unfornately , they aren't like FI and provide options for resonators.

Regardless, I might give than option instead of throwing 1700$ for MD when it may only be minimal increase in sound. How much would it cost to make an identical x pipe using 2.5" piping ? Prefer 302 SS? I would keep the original ARK xpipe just in case I sell the exhaust or tthe straight piped exhaust sounds like ***. Regardless, looks like I need to give my local exhaust shop a call.

​​​​​​
I think the “minimal” increase in sound is what you’re getting hung up on here. Without touching the cats, Ark and MD are VERY different. Past 3k the MD sounds like a screaming banshee, and I have yet to hear an Ark catback sound anywhere near that. The reason (in my “I’m not an engineer” way) is that Ark not only has resonators in the x-pipe but also mufflers with HH resonators, whereas the MD has one single canister resonator before the y-pipe and only HH resonators in place of where you’d expect to find mufflers.

This is is what gives Ark the mellow and bass-filled tone. Most people get around this by adding test pipes or HFC to the Ark to “wake it up” a bit. The only thing you will be waking when you add test pipes or HFC to the MD is the dead. It is wake the dead loud. But not in a bad way, it is absolutely glorious but with that comes an exhaust note that people can hear for miles away.

I will say that maybe it’s worth it to go back to YouTube or ask a local member to go for a ride. Hacking up exhaust systems is usually my last resort, especially if they are already shipped in a certain spec, because the mix and match game towards the certain sound you want only gets more complex.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:46 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
I think the “minimal” increase in sound is what you’re getting hung up on here. Without touching the cats, Ark and MD are VERY different. Past 3k the MD sounds like a screaming banshee, and I have yet to hear an Ark catback sound anywhere near that. The reason (in my “I’m not an engineer” way) is that Ark not only has resonators in the x-pipe but also mufflers with HH resonators, whereas the MD has one single canister resonator before the y-pipe and only HH resonators in place of where you’d expect to find mufflers.

This is is what gives Ark the mellow and bass-filled tone. Most people get around this by adding test pipes or HFC to the Ark to “wake it up” a bit. The only thing you will be waking when you add test pipes or HFC to the MD is the dead. It is wake the dead loud. But not in a bad way, it is absolutely glorious but with that comes an exhaust note that people can hear for miles away.

I will say that maybe it’s worth it to go back to YouTube or ask a local member to go for a ride. Hacking up exhaust systems is usually my last resort, especially if they are already shipped in a certain spec, because the mix and match game towards the certain sound you want only gets more complex.
hahahaha that line had me cracking up hahaha. I've literally watched every MD E370 Exhaust video on YouTube (even from forum member ToXiC) and I've literally read almost every thread (except for vendors) with the word "motordyne" in the title on this entire forum up to 2015.

I've been on the fence because some of the threads have people coming from FI to MD and state it's not that much louder except under WOT. I'm not sure if I know anyone with a MD exhaust where I live. Better yet, I haven't even seen another ARK. All I've seen in my area are FI.

​​​​​Well, maybe I should just budge and buy it from MD. Hahaha I'm still laughing at the MD waking up the dead lmfao.

And I wouldn't really be hacking my exhaust as I'll have the original x pipe still. I'll just have a shop build another one that bolts right on to the midpipe and axle back just as the authentic x pipe would . But I get what you mean. The outcome in sound may never be achieved while hacking and making custom exhausts.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:54 PM
Wellnotexactly

hahahaha that line had me cracking up hahaha. I've literally watched every MD E370 Exhaust video on YouTube (even from forum member ToXiC) and I've literally read almost every thread (except for vendors) with the word "motordyne" in the title on this entire forum up to 2015.

I've been on the fence because some of the threads have people coming from FI to MD and state it's not that much louder except under WOT. I'm not sure if I know anyone with a MD exhaust where I live. Better yet, I haven't even seen another ARK. All I've seen in my area are FI.

​​​​​Well, maybe I should just budge and buy it from MD. Hahaha I'm still laughing at the MD waking up the dead lmfao.

And I wouldn't really be hacking my exhaust as I'll have the original x pipe still. I'll just have a shop build another one that bolts right on to the midpipe and axle back just as the authentic x pipe would . But I get what you mean. The outcome in sound may never be achieved while hacking and making custom exhausts.
Its true! Funny you say that though, because I literally did the same before pulling the trigger on mine. Instagram helps a ton as well if you search by tag #motordyne there are a ton of other videos to take in. To be fair, most people would be very happy that MD is kind of the same as FI at all other points other than WOT. I say this assuming you want something tame and under control when you don’t feel like hooning. Worst case, you can buy MD and enjoy a healthy resale value by leveraging build times into your asking price (ask us, we know ALL about that).

If you think the MD with test pipes still might not scratch the itch, you can always give the audible equivalent of a middle finger to people by going single exit Tomei.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:45 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
CONGRATS!!! Oh man am I excited for you!!! Be sure to post up those pics when you get it, now I’m just as anxious as you! (*refreshes email*)

Lol, thanks man! Pics and vids for sure. Install is already set up for next Saturday. That will be including Berk HFCs!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 PM
G37_4DR

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Clamp-on tips?
I called MD. Heard they are held on by screws. She said you can replace the tips by hand .
Invidia tips are also separate pieces. The clamps they supplied appear to be the same ones made by Vibrant. They're pretty robust.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Well........ Looks like an ARK Grip for the G37 Sedan will be for sale soon.............. cause I just bought the motordyne exhaust -____________________- . Let's see what this hype is about. Someone mail me an FI exhaust and I'll do the ultimate review of the three Jokes. But anyways, let's see how the brothers sound back to back since they both have those HH resonators.

I'll try my best to do an ARK / MD comparison video but don't hate me if I don't. well.... let's see how this turns out.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Wellnotexactly

Well........ Looks like an ARK Grip for the G37 Sedan will be for sale soon.............. cause I just bought the motordyne exhaust -____________________- . Let's see what this hype is about. Someone mail me an FI exhaust and I'll do the ultimate review of the three Jokes. But anyways, let's see how the brothers sound back to back since they both have those HH resonators.

I'll try my best to do an ARK / MD comparison video but don't hate me if I don't. well.... let's see how this turns out.
Congrats and welcome to one of the longest waits of your life! From everything I’ve gathered, it’s very much worth it. Just sitting here waiting on my shipment email like

Lol, thanks man! Pics and vids for sure. Install is already set up for next Saturday. That will be including Berk HFCs!
Going all in with the HFC before you’ve had a chance to hear how loud just the catback will be? Bold move, Cotton. Seriously though, I’m curious. I REALLY want to add Invidia test pipes but feel like I should hear just the catback alone for a week to gauge how loud it’s going to be. From what I’ve read, adding HFC or TP up the noise level dramatically.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Congrats and welcome to one of the longest waits of your life! From everything I’ve gathered, it’s very much worth it. Just sitting here waiting on my shipment email like

Going all in with the HFC before you’ve had a chance to hear how loud just the catback will be? Bold move, Cotton. Seriously though, I’m curious. I REALLY want to add Invidia test pipes but feel like I should hear just the catback alone for a week to gauge how loud it’s going to be. From what I’ve read, adding HFC or TP up the noise level dramatically.
Haha yeah man f*ck it, I want it to scream. If I get annoyed I’ll just take the hfcs off. I don’t see that happening though.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Straight test pipes gnna make that tone a biiit raspy
Old 10-19-2017, 04:05 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Straight test pipes gnna make that tone a biiit raspy

My friend has Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipes, and E370. Not raspy. Motordyne catback is probably the best catback to have the lowest chance of rasp.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread