Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My next Mod; intake and HFC

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:35 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My next Mod; intake and HFC

MY next two upgrades for my Xs shall be intake and hfc. These are what I'm looking at, I'm looking to order by next week.
Whats your opinion stillen CAI vs R2C intake? And FI RHFC vs stillen HFC. I plan on keeping my stock exhaust. Also do I need extras parts with the Cats?
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
IMHO cold air? Get some Z tubes or HPS intake tubes and some AEM dry flow air cleaners. On the HFC's get FI and the RHFC's seems to be the choice to go.
The following users liked this post:
2012G37 (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 08:13 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xpcgamer
IMHO cold air? Get some Z tubes or HPS intake tubes and some AEM dry flow air cleaners. On the HFC's get FI and the RHFC's seems to be the choice to go.
So z tubes or HPS, whats the benefits? I currently have k & N filters, would those be good or upgrade them?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012G37
Whats your opinion stillen CAI vs R2C intake?
The Stillen Gen3 is more expensive, and a much more involved installation, requiring you to drop the bumper and customize the air inlets. However, it's also a genuine power mod from a DIY bolt-on.

The R2C is less expensive, and an easy DIY mod. Plus, those two pop-chargers look pretty awesome under the hood. Untuned, it's more placebo than power mod.

There really is no wrong answer. I think that plating finish on the Black Nickle R2C intake is gorgeous, very much like black chrome. It's amazing. However, you can powdercoat these things any way you like.

Another consideration: no mod needs to be a *final* mod. You could go with the less expensive, easier DIY approach this year, then switch it up a few years down the road. It's just an air intake, after all.

Lastly... I vote Takeda, which you didn't list.
2012G37 (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 09:33 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The Stillen Gen3 is more expensive, and a much more involved installation, requiring you to drop the bumper and customize the air inlets. However, it's also a genuine power mod from a DIY bolt-on.

The R2C is less expensive, and an easy DIY mod. Plus, those two pop-chargers look pretty awesome under the hood. Untuned, it's more placebo than power mod.

There really is no wrong answer. I think that plating finish on the Black Nickle R2C intake is gorgeous, very much like black chrome. It's amazing. However, you can powdercoat these things any way you like.

Another consideration: no mod needs to be a *final* mod. You could go with the less expensive, easier DIY approach this year, then switch it up a few years down the road. It's just an air intake, after all.

Lastly... I vote Takeda, which you didn't list.
The Takeda looks nice especially with the shield. On there site, it says coupes only, I'm seeing sedans on here with them on. Is there a slight modification needed for the sedans. I also read, which hasn't been proven, its possible that 1 intake may get more air than the other.

Whats your opinion on the z tubes?
Old 09-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012G37
Whats your opinion on the z tubes?
My personal opinion is that's a weak mod. But there are people who swear by z-tubes and drop-in filters, and will show you corroborating dyno runs as evidence. Regardless, its still a minor and untuned change to your air-intake system that will mean diddly-squat on a 330 hp car.

Red pill, blue pill... it really doesn't matter.
2012G37 (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 10:43 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The Z tubes remove the resonator on the drivers side and the correlated section. Its smoother and they say (manufacturers mind you) 6HP? Reason I don't like any of the other intakes is due to the traffic and congestion. If your at a light or driving slow in the city the heat generated under the hood heats that metal intake a good amount. When finally clear the traffic and get moving the intake tubes take a while to cool off. In my case thats right when the light turns red and the whole cycle starts again .
2012G37 (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Definitely go with resonated hfc. I have z1 non resonated hfc on mine, it has a great deal of rasp under the car. you can hear it when you open you door and car is idling. from 1000rpm up to 3000 rpm it has rasp inside the car. once above 3000 rpm its like music to your ears. As far as intake absolutely dont get anything other than stillen gen 3. yes they are a bitch to install but youll get the best gains from them and lets be honest gains are why your modding your car. im not saying get gen3 because i do because i have k and n and am working on returning them now for the gen3. fact of the matter when getting it tuned i would of made more power with the gen 3s. Make sure you do all the bolt ons your interested in doing then get tuned asap.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mattlorentzoe:
2012G37 (09-13-2015), the_wolff (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 11:35 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
... Get some Z tubes or HPS intake tubes and some AEM dry flow air cleaners. On the HFC's get FI and the RHFC's seems to be the choice to go.
Mishimoto and R2C Black Hex dry drops are another similar option.

Originally Posted by Rochester
My personal opinion is [intakes are] a weak mod. But there are people who swear by [intakes], and will show you corroborating dyno runs as evidence. Regardless, its still a minor and untuned change to your air-intake system that will mean diddly-squat on a 330 hp car.

Red pill, blue pill... it really doesn't matter.
FTFY for clarification. This is now correct. After research across 4 forums, I couldn't find any resounding verification that any one intake was all around better than others. There are very few dyno sheets out there which are ONLY based on an intake change. Those that did showed very similar results. In the range of 1 or 2 hp differences. And the comparison was between similar intakes(eg long CAI vs other long CAI). There were no definitive winners. Most of the opinions are just that opinions. Many dyno sheets with supporting mods showing big gains, but the supposed intake gains are only speculation. Once you combine mods, the interaction of the mods play a huge part in net gains. There are hundreds of combinations available that can produce differing results.

...Reason I don't like any of the other intakes is due to the traffic and congestion. If your at a light or driving slow in the city the heat generated under the hood heats that metal intake a good amount. When finally clear the traffic and get moving the intake tubes take a while to cool off. In my case thats right when the light turns red and the whole cycle starts again .
I can definitely relate to this. Hot, sunny days year round can really bring in the reins on gains associated with metal tube intakes.

Consensus? There is none. Do your research. Choose the best option for you. Enjoy your mods.
2012G37 (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I vote for the Takeda as well, no modding anything and they provide similar gains as the gen3's, for 100$ less. yes the metal tubes will heat up but once they are cooled down the extra power is there. any short ram is going to make your car slower, tune or no tune, due to the hot air always being injested. go stillen or Takeda, IMHO these are the only two that are worth doing, and I have been through many different setups. currently running the Takeda.
2012G37 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
on second thought, just go with a rear differential swap and put in either 3.90 or 4.08 gears. way more of a performance difference than an intake and hfc will give you. I put 3.90 in my 7at and the difference is amazing.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:33 AM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
on second thought, just go with a rear differential swap and put in either 3.90 or 4.08 gears. way more of a performance difference than an intake and hfc will give you. I put 3.90 in my 7at and the difference is amazing.
He's got an X. If even possible, wouldn't that be a $2k to $4k mod? That's pretty far outside intake money. Could recommend twin turbos if he's got that much $ in his intake budget.

That said, I did read that whole diff thread, and now I wish I didn't have an X.

EDIT: Just priced TT kits. Wow. Closer to $11k.

Last edited by the_wolff; 09-14-2015 at 01:05 AM. Reason: details
2012G37 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I have the Takeda's on my sedan. They sound great at 4k+ RPM but they do get slightly hot. The installation required a bit of custom mounting because I bought mine off a 370Z owner, not sure if the G37 coupe version is the same as that or different.
2012G37 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 08:52 AM
2012G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by the_wolff
He's got an X. If even possible, wouldn't that be a $2k to $4k mod? That's pretty far outside intake money. Could recommend twin turbos if he's got that much $ in his intake budget.

That said, I did read that whole diff thread, and now I wish I didn't have an X.

EDIT: Just priced TT kits. Wow. Closer to $11k.

This interesting, gearing, hopefully there haven't been any bad luck
With anyone doing this and has survive over 2yrs...As for the $ range its not too bad, my recent mod was close to 8k. I'll do some research on this too, will it work on a X?

I'm most likely going with Stillen Cai and FI Rhfc.
But I plan on doing the FI Rhfc, just to see how I like that growl and if i need more from the CAI. Thank you all for your opinions and advice. ...
Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Here's a couple posts on the Takeda (which is what I'd get if I was wanting a true CAI) with tips & pics for a Sedan install. And the whole thread is a good read especially since you have the AWD Sedan
https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post3902079

https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post3903785
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
2012G37 (09-14-2015), the_wolff (09-14-2015)

Quick Reply: My next Mod; intake and HFC