Continental DWS 06 vs Good Year Eagle RS-A

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 04:35 PM
sharmelan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Continental DWS 06 vs Good Year Eagle RS-A

2013 G37x Sedan. Stock 17inch.

I was wondering if anyone had a comment on the noise level of Continental DWS 06 in comparison to the default Good Year RS-A s.

Although I seem to think they are noisy, I read in multiple forums that they aren't that bad. Maybe I got spoiled by my previous car's no name tire (I couldn't recall) which was nice comfy ride while deadly in snow with barely any grip (lots of slips and slides).

I am having them installed today. But want to hear some output and opinions before I go by the shop and commit an expensive mistake.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:42 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
There's only one suitable place for the RS-A's.. In the trash.
The following 5 users liked this post by JSolo:
blnewt (08-06-2015), crazjayz (08-19-2015), CRiME (02-13-2016), sharmelan (08-06-2015), VIVID (08-08-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I've had the DWS's on two cars now, and I think they are pretty quiet, especially for how long they last. I went from the stock tires to 255/35/20 and 285/30/20 and the noise increase was minimal. But of course wider tires with thinner sidewalls are going to be noisier...
The following users liked this post:
sharmelan (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
I have also had the continental DWS tires several times, but not the newer 06 model. They are great in the wet, snow, and all conditions while still being very quiet and wearing well. I currently have them in 255/35R20, and as previously mentioned, they are impressive.
sharmelan (08-11-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm running the new DWS on my sedan and I absolutely love them. Road noise is tolerable but the responsiveness and grip is great. You should never consider getting the RS-A's ever again if you're getting new tires. I would rather ride on wooden wheels than use them again
The following 2 users liked this post by Ihtbealexxx:
CRiME (02-13-2016), sharmelan (08-11-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Ihtbealexxx
I'm running the new DWS on my sedan and I absolutely love them. Road noise is tolerable but the responsiveness and grip is great. You should never consider getting the RS-A's ever again if you're getting new tires. I would rather ride on wooden wheels than use them again
A little extreme but made me lol
Old 08-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Originally Posted by Furlow
A little extreme but made me lol
Never made sense why they would use a tire made for a prius or a camry on a G37
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My answer:

The following 2 users liked this post by Serpens:
CRiME (02-13-2016), Motoboat (08-08-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
The Conti's are like night and day compared to the RS-As. I had 9000 miles on the Goodyears and couldn't stand them a minute longer. I bought car with 5600 miles on it so you can probably guess how crappy a ride they produced. Have had them about 750 miles.

I'm surprised people say the Conti's are noisy. That hasn't been my experience. I find them smooth, quiet and grippy. Great in the rain...haven't had them in snow yet. I am not, by any means, a tire connoisseur. So others may have a more refined review.

Sean
Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Ihtbealexxx

Originally Posted by VIVID
The Conti's are like night and day compared to the RS-As. I had 9000 miles on the Goodyears and couldn't stand them a minute longer. I bought car with 5600 miles on it so you can probably guess how crappy a ride they produced. Have had them about 750 miles.

I'm surprised people say the Conti's are noisy. That hasn't been my experience. I find them smooth, quiet and grippy. Great in the rain...haven't had them in snow yet. I am not, by any means, a tire connoisseur. So others may have a more refined review.

Sean
I bought my G with 29k on them. 4 year old RS-A's with 29k miles = hell on wheels. Drove them until about 33.5k. Knew I had to get new tires when my back end started kicking out in the rain going about 55. Probably one of the scariest experiences of my life.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Just installed a set of DWS06, only about 200 mi on them so far, they are pretty quiet and seem to have similar grip to the OEM summer tires (Potenzas). That said, I typically don't try to test the absolute limit of tires, so YMMV.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:38 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
The DWS and DWS 06 are different tires, so DWS opinions aren't really credible anymore. I have had both tires and currently have the DWS06s. They are more comfortable, quieter, and better wet traction than the DWSs. I never notice road noise. Your stereo should be on anyway I can floor my X from a stop, the AWD kicks in and the car takes off. It's scary being able to drive on wet roads almost as hard as on dry. Tread life is great too. I don't think you will be disappointed with them
The following 2 users liked this post by kluthage421:
Motoboat (08-14-2015), sharmelan (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 11:09 AM
sharmelan

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kluthage421
The DWS and DWS 06 are different tires, so DWS opinions aren't really credible anymore. I have had both tires and currently have the DWS06s. They are more comfortable, quieter, and better wet traction than the DWSs. I never notice road noise. Your stereo should be on anyway I can floor my X from a stop, the AWD kicks in and the car takes off. It's scary being able to drive on wet roads almost as hard as on dry. Tread life is great too. I don't think you will be disappointed with them

Got them installed and drove a 680 mile trip the same day. The ride was smooth and buttery in comparison to the RS-As. Gone is the dreaded road noise and vibration that drowned out my stereos, even at higher volumes.

Not kidding when I say this, but I can finally hear the bass on my bose system with equalizer being in neutral. I had to keep it 3 notches up previously to hear it. Music sounds incredible (in comparison to before) and I am liking my stereo more and more. Added bonus of the new set of tires.

The ride was comfortable at all speeds, however they did not communicate as well as the RS-As did with my hand. Maybe I thought RS-A was more road connected due to it's harshness. I do wish the DWS are a bit more stiffer on the corners, however I am enjoying the balanced road feel and grip (heavy rain pours yesterday) as well.

Also, the DWS are not a great looking set of tires in my opinion. The workmanship is poor on these tires as there are soft thin film rubber circle hanging on the sidewall which should have been sanded or scraped before it was shipped. I am wondering if there is a way for me to clean this out.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:06 PM
sharmelan

Update - Giving up on DWS 06

I have tried diving everywhere that I can with the DWS and they seem pretty good. The ride is very quiet (unbelievable coming from an GY Eagle RS-A quiet) and buttery smooth over bumps.

I did notice a bouncy feeling to the tires though. The usual parking ramp that goes in circles use to be a fun drive up or down 5 stories every day of work. I usually push my car around (safely that is, when no one is on the lot) and the GY RS-A gave a good feel, however these DWS tires give a bit squishy, bouncy feel and makes me wonder if I have a balloon in place of tires. Out on the road, they are very comfortable and amazing to have on a road trip. I did enjoy every moment of these tires, however I wish to have a bit more feedback and direct steering feel than a numb feel; which breaks the point of a sporty sedan. Dare I say, the Conti DWS are more of a touring all season tires in my opinion than a sporty tire. They provide the luxurious, pampering feel of a touring tire and I was able to enjoy my G37 as a different animal with these. I am not sure how TireRack has classified this set under the UHP All Season category.

Discount Tire's generous 30 day return policy is going to be handy on this one.

I am looking at Good Year Eagle F1 Assymetric All Season. Reviews seems to be great on this set and it is one of TireRack's best sellers in 225-55-17 config. Any feedbacks? Suggestions from fellow G37 owners will be great.

The tire guy also suggested Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus. Not a huge fan of how it looks, but I will definitely consider it if it means a better ride. Another reason I said NO to this set is because they are categorized as High Performance Tires on TireRack rather than UHP.

Last edited by sharmelan; 08-14-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:53 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Have you considered the pilot sport a/s series? That's an all season high performance tire (if such terms can even be used together??).

You'll never get the same response from an all season tire vs a summer only. I'm not a big fan of anything good year. Their rsa's are crap. At one time I had f1 gs d3 tire on my camaro. It truly drove like a balloon with poor feedback and very slow response (this was considered a summer only tire).

If you want the utmost in performance, run a dedicated winter wheel in the winter and summer in the summer. Get the best of both worlds.
sharmelan (08-14-2015)

Quick Reply: Continental DWS 06 vs Good Year Eagle RS-A