G37 Sedan

My exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:28 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My exhaust options

I know there are lots of threads on this and I have read through probably all of them related to my situation.

I got my G37x Sedan for a little over a week now and I'm loving it but I want to hear that signature exhaust note. Stock is too docile.

I'm not a stranger to loud exhaust. My previous car was a Fiat Abarth and the exhaust was very loud. Before that I had a full system on my Grand Am GT.
I'm trying to stay away from anything that will drone in the interior too much.

So one of the options is the famous muffler delete. I find it hard to believe that the exhaust drone (in cabin) is as minimal as everyone says. Plus the occasional person reports it is too droney. I have watched all the vids on YouTube and it sounds great but videos never accurately record what the exhaust sounds like in real life.
Again, if the drone is as minimal when cruising as people say this is top on my list.

Another option is a local person is selling a Q300 Invidia exhaust from a G37s Sedan. However it is not the full system. It is only the mufflers and the pipes forward of the mufflers. Everything from the X-Pipe forward isn't there.
The 2 problems with that is an exhaust shop will need to custom fit it to the stock exhaust, and I don't know what this "half q300-half stock" system will sound like.
...and this option is atleast 4x the cost of the muffler delete.

No other aftermarket system (that is specifically made for the G37) is really an option since US to CDN conversion is awful ATM and shipping would be ludacris.

I guess I could always go muffler delete and if I don't like it I could go from there?
Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Muffler delete and add straight pipes with custom tips.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:10 PM
slowbird
Registered Member

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Muffler delete and add straight pipes with custom tips.
Yeah, Sorry. When I say "Muffler delete" I mean removing the muffler and adding the straight pipes out the back with tips.

Do you have this modification?
The following users liked this post:
7thLetterOfABC (12-26-2021)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:36 AM
NorCalG37x

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Slowbird,

I'm not sure what kind of money you want to spend or what your local shops are price wise, but you may choose to just go custom.

I did a lot of research before I did my exhaust and ultimately decided to have a shop build me an exhaust. I chose to do a cat back system with 2.25" pipe, Magnaflow X pipe, 18" Magnaflow resonators and Borla mufflers. My goal was to achieve a sound that was "classy" but aggressive upon acceleration. The resonators help keep the drone down, and in my opinion, the system sounds great. Most of the aftermarket systems for the G37 I researched were over $1000. I paid $1032.00 installed for mine. I feel like I got a sweet deal, I have the sound I was looking for and the shop did an amazingly clean install. I even paid to have flex connections installed at the cats (like factory) to minimize the potential for rattles.

I am working on taking some time to make a few videos to post for sound reference, but as you mentioned, videos can't give you a great sense.

Hope that helps some.

Originally Posted by slowbird
I know there are lots of threads on this and I have read through probably all of them related to my situation.

I got my G37x Sedan for a little over a week now and I'm loving it but I want to hear that signature exhaust note. Stock is too docile.

I'm not a stranger to loud exhaust. My previous car was a Fiat Abarth and the exhaust was very loud. Before that I had a full system on my Grand Am GT.

So one of the options is the famous muffler delete. I find it hard to believe that the exhaust drone (in cabin) is as minimal as everyone says. Plus the occasional person reports it is too droney. I have watched all the vids on YouTube and it sounds great but videos never accurately record what the exhaust sounds like in real life.
Again, if the drone is as minimal when cruising as people say this is top on my list.

Another option is a local person is selling a Q300 Invidia exhaust from a G37s Sedan. However it is not the full system. It is only the mufflers and the pipes forward of the mufflers. Everything from the X-Pipe forward isn't there.
The 2 problems with that is an exhaust shop will need to custom fit it to the stock exhaust, and I don't know what this "half q300-half stock" system will sound like.

No other aftermarket system (that is specifically made for the G37) is really an option since US to CDN conversion is awful ATM and shipping would be ludacris.

I guess I could always go muffler delete and if I don't like it I could go from there?
The following 3 users liked this post by NorCalG37x:
Coltrane1 (03-12-2017), issa9002 (01-05-2022), slowbird (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:53 AM
slowbird
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NorCalG37x
Hi Slowbird,

I'm not sure what kind of money you want to spend or what your local shops are price wise, but you may choose to just go custom.

I did a lot of research before I did my exhaust and ultimately decided to have a shop build me an exhaust. I chose to do a cat back system with 2.25" pipe, Magnaflow X pipe, 18" Magnaflow resonators and Borla mufflers. My goal was to achieve a sound that was "classy" but aggressive upon acceleration. The resonators help keep the drone down, and in my opinion, the system sounds great. Most of the aftermarket systems for the G37 I researched were over $1000. I paid $1032.00 installed for mine. I feel like I got a sweet deal, I have the sound I was looking for and the shop did an amazingly clean install. I even paid to have flex connections installed at the cats (like factory) to minimize the potential for rattles.

I am working on taking some time to make a few videos to post for sound reference, but as you mentioned, videos can't give you a great sense.

Hope that helps some.
That helps alot. Thanks for sharing that. With the price to get aftermarket systems up here to Canada, customs seems the way to go.

I just don't know if I should even bother trying the muffler delete with straight pipes and tips or have them add mufflers or resonators right off the bat.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Yeah, Sorry. When I say "Muffler delete" I mean removing the muffler and adding the straight pipes out the back with tips.

Ah. I totally missed that you mentioned that. lol No, I do not have this mod, but I would have saved a ton of money if I did. I do have the Fast Intentions exhaust for my xS sedan. Love it. In fact, it's the best exhaust system I've had compared to any of my past cars.
Old 12-26-2021, 03:53 AM
7thLetterOfABC
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I have that exact mod if you still have questions but I just saw the date on this lmao.

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2021, 08:08 AM
slowbird
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 7thLetterOfABC
Hey I have that exact mod if you still have questions but I just saw the date on this lmao.
lol thanks for the thread res.

I eventually did do this mod and the results were DROOOOOOONNNNNEEEEEE.

Awesome when you're on it, but too droney for everyday driving in my opinion.

Cheers! Merry Xmas and Happy Near Year ya'll.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:06 PM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Speed Cultures Studio Custom Exhaust. Invidia is pretty quiet imo. I've heard both in person. I have the Ark Grip with the Berk HFC but it is a bit loud.
The following 2 users liked this post by KImChee:
Dmilligan27048 (06-15-2023), issa9002 (01-05-2022)
Old 12-28-2021, 02:33 PM
7thLetterOfABC
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha Np man anytime, and yes it drones so bad… but like you said sounds awesome when you hit that pedal. Happy New Years!
Old 07-26-2023, 01:38 AM
wrkls_
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look up Speed Culture Studios on YouTube and check out his custom “SCS Catback” best route to go imo
Old 07-26-2023, 10:04 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
The G37 coupe mid-pipe uses shorter 12" (vs 17") resonators and larger 60mm (vs 50mm) tube piping after the resonator compared to the same mid-pipe on the sedan (these two combine to give the stock coupe that tone everyone loves). You could start with sourcing that part regionally, then buy some aftermarket 2.25-2.5" inlet mufflers (I like Sebring Tuning, the ones that come with the FI exhaust - but the import tax may apply - Magnaflow has options as well) and have a muffler shop fabricate the connection between the two as the Coupe mid-pipe is designed to attach to a cannister muffler? I have a Tanabe axleback (owned by Revel now) and shorter Vibrant 1790 2.25" bottle resonators and the exhaust sounds much better than stock. The issue with my setup is that the sedan mid-pipe after the resonators tapers down after the resonators to like 50mm (~2") until the mufflers. If I had a do over, I'd likely take the coupe mid-pipe route. My exhaust guy has built custom exhausts for decades and he loves my existing setup and cannot figure out why I want to change it....but like most of you, I find experimentation to make improvements upon the OEM setup alot of fun. He performs alot of muffler deletes for the Mustang/Camaro and Dodge Ram crowd, and those are his least favorite form of modification.
Old 07-26-2023, 10:12 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

While we are on the topic of custom exhaust setups. Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing the factory y-pipe with this replacement unit from a company called Muffler Express: https://mufflerexpress.com/products/...AaAgMHEALw_wcB

304 Stainless, Mandrel bends, but it also has a 2.5" merge to match factory y-pipes on both Gs (no rasp because inlet and outlet are matched), which is tough to find within the aftermarket as everyone anymore uses a 3" merge.

What I like I like is that it also uses full 2" tubing off the cats (probably because that size is more common than what was used by Nissan), while the factory y-pipe uses 1 3/4" tubing. It also weighs quite a bit less because it doesn't use the factory heat shields and weights which exist to reduce NVH.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2023, 09:11 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
While we are on the topic of custom exhaust setups. Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing the factory y-pipe with this replacement unit from a company called Muffler Express: https://mufflerexpress.com/products/...AaAgMHEALw_wcB

304 Stainless, Mandrel bends, but it also has a 2.5" merge to match factory y-pipes on both Gs (no rasp because inlet and outlet are matched), which is tough to find within the aftermarket as everyone anymore uses a 3" merge.

What I like I like is that it also uses full 2" tubing off the cats (probably because that size is more common than what was used by Nissan), while the factory y-pipe uses 1 3/4" tubing. It also weighs quite a bit less because it doesn't use the factory heat shields and weights which exist to reduce NVH.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts?
One thing to consider, with the aftermarket Y-pipes you loose the OEM dynamic dampers. They help reduce vibrations, just some food for thought. Most don't care about them. Nissan went through the trouble to put them on the Y pipe and the mufflers.

Last edited by Krzysztof47; 08-02-2023 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:28 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

True on the dampers. I had to replace one once and the one the dealer gave me looks completely different, but works.

Do aftermarket y-pipes increase vibrations? I haven't seen that complaint much, but perhaps because only enthusiasts replace y-pipes and their NVH expectations are lower than most.

Quick Reply: My exhaust options