G37 Sedan

What did you do first? Performance or Appearance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:00 PM
JinV36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What did you do first? Performance or Appearance Mods

Good morning fellow G's,

Just as the title states, I am deciding what to do with the money I have been saving up. I bought this car a few months ago and ever since then, I've been trying to save my money up again (since I purchased the car for $19gs), I am now at the point to decide which direction to go. In other words, what did you spend your hard, earned cash on first? Performance or Exterior / Interior mods.

At first (and still now), I think I am heading towards the performance as I always liked "faster" (I guess you can say) or more tunable cars than luxury cars. But since the V36 has some of both, I am in the middle.

If I went performance, I would spend my first $1300 on a FI / Ark CBE. Than I would do Takeda CAI, Strut Bar, and a tune . Then I would go for a pair of rims, maybe rohanas 19's".

If I went with exterior / interior, I would get Rims first (the rohanas if I choose that route), than the OEM or Stillen Trunk Spoiler. Than I would vinly wrap my trim, grill, etc. I would eventually buy springs, etc.

AT THE END OF THE DAY, I'm deciding which way to go... Literally, the first thing on my mind is to get a better exhaust note. If I don't get the exhaust first, I might just do a muffle delete with an intake, but i'm not sure.

IN OTHER WORDS, which route did you take first? And what mods did you perform in order in the route you took. Thank you so much!
Old 06-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by JinV36
If I went performance, I would spend my first $1300 on a FI / Ark CBE.
No, you would spend your first $500 on a pair of high-flow cats. Less money, more power.

Then you spend your next $400 on a pair of aftermarket swaybars, doesn't matter which brand.

Assuming you pay a shop to install the cats, and the sways too while you're there... that's your entire budget. Money well spent on much improved power and handling. You might even have a little left over for a kick-azz dinner and night out.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:09 PM
JinV36

Originally Posted by Rochester
No, you would spend your first $500 on a pair of high-flow cats. Less money, more power.
Cannot do that my kind sir. California is a bitch. I can't find any body to install / uninstall when it comes to Smogging / CARB.

This was literally my first mod. A berk HFC (not sure if its a RHFC). But I can't find anywhere to install it.

And even if I did install it, and I want to do Smog and have it CARB legal, can i RE-install an alerady used stock OEM cat?

Theres so much to it that I can't understand unless I talk to another Californian about it as I have so many questions about the legality of RHFC's in Ca.

It's like, is it the point where its like tints? Front window tints are completely illegal but everyone does it still. Are RHFC one of those things as well? I am in CA>
Old 06-29-2015, 01:14 PM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Good morning fellow G's,

Just as the title states, I am deciding what to do with the money I have been saving up. I bought this car a few months ago and ever since then, I've been trying to save my money up again (since I purchased the car for $19gs), I am now at the point to decide which direction to go. In other words, what did you spend your hard, earned cash on first? Performance or Exterior / Interior mods.

At first (and still now), I think I am heading towards the performance as I always liked "faster" (I guess you can say) or more tunable cars than luxury cars. But since the V36 has some of both, I am in the middle.

If I went performance, I would spend my first $1300 on a FI / Ark CBE. Than I would do Takeda CAI, Strut Bar, and a tune . Then I would go for a pair of rims, maybe rohanas 19's".

If I went with exterior / interior, I would get Rims first (the rohanas if I choose that route), than the OEM or Stillen Trunk Spoiler. Than I would vinly wrap my trim, grill, etc. I would eventually buy springs, etc.

AT THE END OF THE DAY, I'm deciding which way to go... Literally, the first thing on my mind is to get a better exhaust note. If I don't get the exhaust first, I might just do a muffle delete with an intake, but i'm not sure.

IN OTHER WORDS, which route did you take first? And what mods did you perform in order in the route you took. Thank you so much!
so let us decide what to do with your money

hmmmmmmm

how much we talkin?
Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM
JinV36

Originally Posted by i heart ricers
so let us decide what to do with your money

hmmmmmmm

how much we talkin?
Not decide. But help steer , yes. All a building process. One mod at a time. That's why I'm asking which direction to do first, cause it won't happen overnight. I have $900 rn. I'll have $2,000 in a month to soend
Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Aftermarket catalytic converters are also illegal in NY as of two years ago, but that only goes for installation, not inspection. Inspection here is a matter of reading codes from the OBDC, and making a visual inspection that the cats exist. But I understand your angst, and it's certainly easier to simply scratch HFC's right off your list. Bummer, because that's where the gains are, much more so there than in the catback.

Your budget is too low for (quality) rims when you factor in (quality) tires... unless you find something used.

Perhaps the best advice is to set a date, like Spring 2016, and use the next 9 months to plan & save. It sounds like that would dovetail nicely into having your car paid off.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
My 1st mod was a Takeda LTCAI. I went with all my power mods 1st.

If I had to do it all over again, I would stick with the Takeda hands down. It was and still is one of my personal fav mods. You'll feel the power gains and won't spend that much in comparison to other power mods.

. The Fast intentions exhaust....WOW. Great sound, completely transforms your car. You won't be disappointed if you go with FI.

My favorite exterior mod so far has to be the wheels, D&S rotors, and BBK.

If you want to dip your toe in both worlds I'd suggest the LTCAI and some D&S rotors. Get the wheels and the exhaust on your list too bc they really make a huge difference. Just my opinion.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:52 PM
i heart ricers
Banned

Not decide. But help steer , yes. All a building process. One mod at a time. That's why I'm asking which direction to do first, cause it won't happen overnight. I have $900 rn. I'll have $2,000 in a month to soend
do you want to sound louder or look cooler ?
Old 06-29-2015, 01:58 PM
JinV36

do you want to sound louder or look cooler ?
Neither is desirable. My goal is an overall better ride in handling, speed, comfort, etc. indont want a loud *** car but I don't want a straight modded out car in appearance with no performance gains.

In other words, im just Tryin to find the standard approach fellow Gs took.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You could wrap the lower rear bumper in vinyl on the cheap. B@T sells precut pieces. There's your first visual mod.

The FSTB is a DIY no-brainer, and relatively inexpensive. That and/or swaybars could be your first handling mod. If you're on the fence between the two, choose swaybars. In fact, don't even keep discussing the point, just get swaybars on your car right away. It's really not a debate... sways have the most effect on our cars for the least cost. They just do.

Pretty much any air-intake kit is a DIY. That could be your first sound mod.

But for bolt-on power... you need to mod your exhaust.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:12 PM
JinV36

Originally Posted by Rochester
You could wrap the lower rear bumper in vinyl on the cheap. B@T sells precut pieces. There's your first visual mod.

The FSTB is a DIY no-brainer, and relatively inexpensive. That and/or swaybars could be your first handling mod. If you're on the fence between the two, choose swaybars. In fact, don't even keep discussing the point, just get swaybars on your car right away. It's really not a debate... sways have the most effect on our cars for the least cost. They just do.

Pretty much any air-intake kit is a DIY. That could be your first sound mod.

But for bolt-on power... you need to mod your exhaust.
I was going to follow Brads tutorial for the trim. Back to the cats, can I reinstall used cats? Just got an hour for smog. Or do shops not TOUCH cats if it's not OEM. I'll try and find a mechanic cause from what people have been telling me, cats are essential.

I have a friend who works on American muscle old schools. He said swapping cats won't do ****. Is that relevant for only old school cars or for all cars
Old 06-29-2015, 02:14 PM
i heart ricers
Banned

Neither is desirable. My goal is an overall better ride in handling, speed, comfort, etc. indont want a loud *** car but I don't want a straight modded out car in appearance with no performance gains.

In other words, im just Tryin to find the standard approach fellow Gs took.
um ok

well exhausts and wheels are out

sounds like you need some coils first then
Old 06-29-2015, 02:15 PM
JinV36

um ok

well exhausts and wheels are out

sounds like you need some coils first then
My bad. I don't want to sound like an *** by saying "I want a loud *** car" or "I want to look better than everyone else". I jus want to improve the overall experience.

Don't coils cost 1,000+?
Old 06-29-2015, 02:32 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
it always starts with LED bulbs always... then a drop then wheels, then intakes, catback, hi flow cats... it never ends but it always starts with those tiny little bulbs
The following 3 users liked this post by ChinkyChoy:
crazjayz (07-08-2015), NorCalG37x (08-12-2015), RexHavoc (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 02:34 PM
i heart ricers
Banned

My bad. I don't want to sound like an *** by saying "I want a loud *** car" or "I want to look better than everyone else". I jus want to improve the overall experience.

Don't coils cost 1,000+?
"improving the car" is a lot different than getting bigger wheels or a louder exhaust

you said youll have $2k ?

Quick Reply: What did you do first? Performance or Appearance Mods