Hotchkis Sway bars install - Need new end links?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:19 AM
portagepaws
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotchkis Sway bars install - Need new end links?

Going to install a set of Hotchkis sway bars on 09 37X sedan this weekend. I would appreciate any opinion/experience in reference to the endlinks.

Should I plan on replacing them or upgrading them? Keep in my in live in Western NY with lots of salt and rust, will they get damaged during removal? Does upgrading them provide additional performance enhancement?

Thank you
Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 AM
Oh My G 523

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my sways last summer, like anything else with time all things rust. But to get life out of them I recommend spraying the salt off as much as possible and keep things lubed when possible during the winter. As far as the endlinks, I think the only ones available so far for the x sedans are the rears. I installed the white lines, as long as your careful you shouldn't have any worry damaging them. Simple bolt to get off.You don't have to upgrade right away, but these aftermarket are much stronger and adjustable. Depends on what setting and how hard you plan on driving. I didn't want to have to do the job twice so I upgraded for the stronger endlinks. overall you do notice the sways improve the handling and roll. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:13 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I've had mine for years with OEM end links and I've been fine. No track days but a lot of spirited driving. I am experiencing some front suspension squeak, and I think I've narrowed it down to the bushings for the hotchkis. Chicago winters are rough. But a rebuild kit is pretty cheap. Less than $40 I think. You'll love the way the car handles with them. I have a 2010 xS sedan.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Oh My G 523

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by efuseakay
I've had mine for years with OEM end links and I've been fine. No track days but a lot of spirited driving. I am experiencing some front suspension squeak, and I think I've narrowed it down to the bushings for the hotchkis. Chicago winters are rough. But a rebuild kit is pretty cheap. Less than $40 I think. You'll love the way the car handles with them. I have a 2010 xS sedan.
Same issue on my buddies sedan, ended up just the bushings. all was needed was some grease.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:21 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
If you want adjustable end links, then the only option for AWD is the rear (since they're essentially the same as the RWD)

Adjustable ones should only be needed if you're lowered though.

If you just want more stout end links, perhaps Moog is the way to go. I bought a complete set of Moog End Links for my AWD. I haven't actually installed them yet, but perhaps I can get to it this Spring.

I made a thread about it a couple of months ago if you want to search.
The following users liked this post:
portagepaws (04-12-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
had mine on my previous G37xS for 60k miles and had them on the stiffest setting front and rear. No issues with stock end links
portagepaws (04-12-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 AM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
I also have a pair of Hotchkis sway bars on my sedan with OEM end links. No problems for me.

The only thing I hear are the squeaking noises that come from the front end bushings. IMO, the Hotchkis bracket zerk grease fittings are useless. It's impossible to squeeze a good amount of grease in there when everything is bolted down and tight. I have learned that the best way is to remove these from the car, clean up the debris, and generously regrease it by hand. It takes a little more time but definitely worth it.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Some OEM end links will break with stiffer sway bars, some won't. YMMV. My rear links broke on both sides. Most people's don't. The setting you have them on, how you drive, and how lowered your car is all play a factor. Do you absolutely need new aftermarket end links? No. Not unless yours break.
portagepaws (04-12-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
From what I've read, the relevant modification to wearing out end-links isn't the aftermarket sways, it's lowering the car. Since I've done both, I was in the same boat... replace the end-links now, or later?

In the end, I took my mechanic's advice, and decided to wait until it becomes a problem, if it becomes a problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
ocie (01-08-2016), portagepaws (04-12-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 01:10 PM
portagepaws
Registered Member

Thanks for input everyone, much appreciated. Hopefully the stock ends will come off without issue and I will use them. Very excited to install the sway bars, or should I say drive with them!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:25 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
^^ The sways are a great upgrade and you'll definitely notice the difference in driving.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:18 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Oh My G 523
Same issue on my buddies sedan, ended up just the bushings. all was needed was some grease.
I've greased mine a few times in the past few months. Only helps for a very short while. I'm sure the bushings are shot. Need to find the time to get/install a rebuild kit from Hotchkis.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:14 PM
portagepaws
Registered Member

Installed them today, skip to the good part... WOW WHAT A RIDE. Amazing difference! Details part, the stock end links work just fine as everyone mentioned. No issues installing them just follow instructions and reference the DYI's people gratefully posted. Haven't been this excited to go to work and hit the 390 on-ramp tomorrow!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:32 PM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Thread reopened

Originally Posted by portagepaws
Installed them today, skip to the good part... WOW WHAT A RIDE. Amazing difference! Details part, the stock end links work just fine as everyone mentioned. No issues installing them just follow instructions and reference the DYI's people gratefully posted. Haven't been this excited to go to work and hit the 390 on-ramp tomorrow!
Just ordered from tire rack - hotchkis front & rear sway bars 352$

Arrives in a week - im excited like a lil kid - can’t wait till it’s installed
The transformation part

Vegas has a lot of good highway entrances & long
Straight away & lots of corners with no one around
Can’t wait 😊 lol
Old 12-23-2017, 10:38 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
You will probably be ok with stock end links on the street. Mine finally gave up on the track and they got really loud. I replaced them with Moog end links and they were fine the last few track days. If you ever need to upgrade the end links, the Moog end links are decent and have their own zerk fittings so they are easy to grease when you do the sway bar bushings.

Originally Posted by TheLocNar
You should have zerk fittings on the bushings for the sway bars. They probably just dried out. Use a good waterproof grease like marine grease that should be available at most auto parts stores.
Kpmikey808 (12-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Hotchkis Sway bars install - Need new end links?