MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Flashing CEL, erratic idle, loss of power (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/262941-flashing-cel-erratic-idle-loss-of-power.html)

Neddy_G37 11-12-2014 05:15 PM

Flashing CEL, erratic idle, loss of power

OK, been searching the forum for a few minutes now, have yet to find someone else having the same issues I just experienced today. Drove home from work, about 12 miles, no issues. Go back out to get some Chic Fil A and upon slowing down for a red light, the CEL starts flashing and the car wants to stall. So I put it in Neutral (its an auto) and hold the revs at 2k for a couple seconds. Light goes out, car is fine. Then, after getting lunch, I attempt to have some fun from a light. I floor it, nothing, almost stalls out on me. So I accelerate like normal and all is good again. The last incident that happened was when driving up a hill at a constant 55, the car suddenly lost all power. Felt like it shut off but didnt, just a sudden loss of power that came back just as quick.

Thoughts?

Vehicle - 2008 G37 RWD auto 5 speed
Mods - 0
Miles - 56251

Need 4 Speed 11-12-2014 05:26 PM

I would say to have the CEL checked to get the code out. Could be right now about anything. Such as misfire from cylinder's to a sensor etc... Be safe an have the code checked. There's plenty info on code's here.

Global Reach 11-12-2014 05:31 PM

First problem is you got chic fil a. Place stinks. Second. Its an emissions problem. Possible MAF sensor or o2.

Neddy_G37 11-12-2014 05:41 PM

Plan on going to the dealer to get codes pulled but wanted to tap into other users before going there so I know if they are money hungry or truly trying to help me out.

Emissions huh? Well, that is comforting. O2 sensors are easy enough to replace, and should I attempt to clean the MAF or start shopping for new ones?

Will still have codes pulled to see what is truly going on, but like to have my info first.

Our CFA dont stink, the food is delicious!

joeltender 11-12-2014 09:24 PM

Sounds like an ignition coil is toast. Stop driving with the flashing cel and the shaking/misfire. This can cause unburnt fuel to screw your cats prematurely$$$$$$$. Stop driving and pull the code.

crookncastle 11-12-2014 09:59 PM

pull the dtcs for the check engine light first. from your descriptions sounds like the engine may have been misfiring. theres a possibility one of your catalytic converters may have come apart or is plugged up which will cause loss of power and misfires under heavy load.

Black Betty 11-13-2014 06:13 AM

STOP DRIVING THE CAR. A flashing MIL indicates a class A misfire which, as a couple of people have already posted, is a serious condition which can do major damage to engine internals and the emission system. Have the code read and get it fixed before you continue to drive it.

Rochester 11-13-2014 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by joeltender (Post 3844061)
Sounds like an ignition coil is toast. Stop driving with the flashing cel and the shaking/misfire. This can cause unburnt fuel to screw your cats prematurely$$$$$$$. Stop driving and pull the code.

That's exactly what it reads like... one of your six ignition coils is probably failing. If so, it will fail progressively worse and more often until replaced. When the gas isn't fully ignited in a cylinder, it has no where to go but out the exhaust, where the superheated substrate in the catalytic converters burns it off, and that's not where you're supposed to burn gas. It can damage (melt) the substrate in your cats. That's bad.

But don't bank on web diagnoses. Get the car to the shop.

Look at the up-side: if the problem is a failing coil-pack, they aren't crazy expensive, and easy enough to replace. And if that's truly the problem, it's a good thing to know exactly what that feels like, should it happen again in the future.

TheLocNar 11-13-2014 12:43 PM

Get it TOWED to a shop. Don't even start it.

Neddy_G37 11-14-2014 05:25 AM

Its 519am as I am reading all your replies. I will be going today to get codes pulled, and see what my next course of action is.

However, to clear up some things, the car runs fine, perfectly fine, in normal driving. There is no hint of stutter, shaking, hesitation, or any indication that a cylinder is not firing. The incident has happened only twice in the 2200 miles I have owned the car. In my experience, a dead coil would be constant.

On the other hand, everything on this car is original. I dont think the previous owner did ANY maintenance other than oil. I am sure it could use a fuel filter, plugs, trans and diff flushing as well as brake and power steering flushing. Thankfully the a/c and heat is tip top!

I use Precision Tune to pull codes from my car, as they do it for free. They open up at 9am and thats when I will find out whats going on. I will return to tell you the diagnosis.

Thanks to all for the input, it has me better prepared now.

telcoman 11-14-2014 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Neddy_G37 (Post 3844567)

On the other hand, everything on this car is original. I dont think the previous owner did ANY maintenance other than oil. I am sure it could use a fuel filter, plugs, trans and diff flushing as well as brake and power steering flushing. ....

Wrong!

At under 60k miles all the vehicle needs are oil changes and air and cabin filter changes.

I use Precision Tune to pull codes from my car, as they do it for free. They open up at 9am and thats when I will find out whats going on. I will return to tell you the diagnosis.

Free? Hmmm

You usually get what you pay for.

If they don't have a consult 111 you may not find out much

Good luck

Telcoman

Neddy_G37 11-14-2014 06:06 AM

It does have new air filters in it and I just recently had synthetic put in so guess I really am good on maintenance.

If PT is unable to perform the task at hand, then (sadly) I will venture over to Infiniti and pay their outrageous fee.

Scratch that - The fee for diagnosis is $127 but since I "may" still be under the 6/60 warranty, it could be covered. Hmmm....

Black Betty 11-14-2014 07:07 AM

Please don't be a knucklehead. You've been told here repeatedly that you shouldn't drive the car with a flashing MIL.

Rochester 11-14-2014 07:42 AM

In my experience, a dead coil would be constant.

Yes, but a dying coil-pack is symptomatically intermittent. Good luck. /goodbye

joeltender 11-14-2014 10:32 PM

Well, apparently one is born every minute.........just saying.