MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Sedan (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan-348/)
-   -   Help me pick a Resonator (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/262740-help-me-pick-a-resonator.html)

Rochester 11-02-2014 07:56 PM

Help me pick a Resonator

At year-end, for a Spring 2015 install, I’m ordering a Fast Intentions 2.5” cat-back. It’s going to match up to FI resonated high-flow cats, already on the car and currently connected to the OEM cat-back. Although the FI RHFC has the standard 2.25” outlet, FI will accommodate the 2.5” build to fit.

My dilemma: no resonators, 12” resonators, or 18” resonators?

My preference is for a deep tone, that I play with on the throttle (because 6MT), but not so pervasive that I can’t shut it up under 2500 in the higher gears. I bought the resonated cats hoping to set the groundwork for that, and have not been disappointed. There’s a very pleasant, non-stock growl, but with the 300ct catalyst, and little resonators, it’s extremely subtle.

My last car was a modified 2003 Maxima 6MT, and the upgrade from 2.25” pipes to a 2.5” Cattman cat-back was a great choice. For no reason other than that personal experience, and a predisposition to think the slightly wider piping would create a deeper tone, I’ve decided to go with 2.5”.

So… would no-res be a mistake? Would 18” be too quiet, or so modulated that it's boring? I’d like to get it done right the first time around, rather than cut & weld a new resonator in after the fact. Although I suppose that’s not unreasonable, now that I say it.

IDK… there’s no right or wrong opinion, and maybe this thread could help me figure out the right choice for me.

Have at it. Thanks, guys! :hello:

alfredo24pr 11-02-2014 08:27 PM

I think you should YOLO it and go no resonators.

'11G37S 11-02-2014 08:37 PM

You should post a poll, might make it easier to count the votes.

Solidus 11-02-2014 08:43 PM

I'd say for a sedan the 18" would be the civil option. It would have a nice mellow growl at lower rpm yet still reveal it's sporty self at higher rpm's. I have come to the conclusion in my own case that I need a Motordyne resonated xyz y-pipe. Since I added RHFC'S to my exhaust it's become a tad more unruly than I expected. But hey; it's just an opinion.

RexHavoc 11-02-2014 08:48 PM

I've been very happy with my 12 inch resonated exhaust. I don't think there's a drone, perhaps mild, but you can certainly tell the difference in the cabin. I still haven't gotten up to Kentucky to hang out with Kirk, when I do I'll get some videos loaded up for you.

'11G37S 11-02-2014 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by RexHavoc (Post 3840569)
I've been very happy with my 12 inch resonated exhaust. I don't think there's a drone, perhaps mild, but you can certainly tell the difference in the cabin. I still haven't gotten up to Kentucky to hang out with Kirk, when I do I'll get some videos loaded up for you.

Lol. We still need to figure out a weekend...

I second the 12". 18 would be too quiet and 0 would probably be too loud, based on some of your other posts.

Rochester 11-02-2014 09:41 PM

How easy would it be for a mechanic with good welding skills to cut in a resonator? Perhaps if I went without, then assessed the situation. I should probably talk to my mechanic about this, and see where he is on that idea.

Why are 12" and 18" the only choices? Why not a 6" shorty like on the resonated cats? Or why not a 24" resonator... wouldn't it fit?

And why go with whatever resonator make & model that FI uses? Are there specific, aftermarket options on the resonator that might be better than whatever FI uses to build their exhausts?

nishfish871 11-02-2014 10:03 PM

FI offers all the resonator options at the same price point. I would go with 12" since you have RHFC 300ct and not testpipes. 18" would leave much too much to be desired in the throatiness aspect. Non-resonated might bring some unwanted rasp. It's a perfect starting point for wanting quieter or louder.

The 18" FI is not as loud as my old Maxima setup with stock cat and 3" BRM exhaust with 14" resonator. I would personally hate to mess with the great build quality that FI puts into there exhaust and start hacking in resonators. The x-pipe is built into the resonator section.

PS: Is the next thread going to be "Help Rochestor pick tips"

Rochester 11-03-2014 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871 (Post 3840603)
FI offers all the resonator options at the same price point. I would go with 12" since you have RHFC 300ct and not testpipes. 18" would leave much too much to be desired in the throatiness aspect. Non-resonated might bring some unwanted rasp. It's a perfect starting point for wanting quieter or louder.

The 18" FI is not as loud as my old Maxima setup with stock cat and 3" BRM exhaust with 14" resonator. I would personally hate to mess with the great build quality that FI puts into there exhaust and start hacking in resonators. The x-pipe is built into the resonator section.

Good post, nisfish. :biggthumpup:

I've driven a fully modded NA 5.5 Maxima 6MT before, with Cattman headers and the full 3.0" exhaust. It was amazing, but you could never shut the drone off, no matter the RPM. I didn't realize that BRM was making a 3.0" for the Maxima. Very reasonably priced, too, it seems.

Originally Posted by nishfish871 (Post 3840603)
PS: Is the next thread going to be "Help Rochestor pick tips"

Doubtful. This community doesn't seem to mess with tips much. They just go with whatever comes with the setup. I've been researching tips on and off for almost 3 years, since before even buying the car. And to date the only gotta-have-it moment is a set of tips with a 2" neck... where the FI cans have a 2.5" neck. So :dunno:

Rochester 11-03-2014 08:49 AM

If I were to go with my long-held original plan... the Helmholtz resonated ARK Grip, then I'd absolutely have to cut off those tips and weld something else on. But the Seabring tips on the Fast Intentions cat-back are really good quality stuff. So by going with FI, that gives me slack to look at the tips in the future, rather than right away.

Austin713 11-03-2014 09:53 AM

the resonators do not change the sound of the exhaust outside the car at all. they simply help cut out drone.(according to Tony) if you cared enough about drone to buy the resonated HFCs, i would go with the 18" especially if you are putting the 2.5" system on there. ive got the 2.25 RHFC and 18" resonators and its perfect. good level while cruising, and sounds sexy as hell when you wind it up.

Rochester 11-03-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Austin713 (Post 3840670)
the resonators do not change the sound of the exhaust outside the car at all. they simply help cut out drone.(according to Tony)

That's been my assumption all along... resonators modulate, and mufflers muffle. Good to hear someone else say essentially the same thing, and back it up with a pass-along from FI.

guy from norcal 11-03-2014 12:12 PM

here is my G with tanabes and vibrant 12" resonators. really woke up my tanabes and i'm very happy with the sound.

Rochester 11-03-2014 12:21 PM

Your point being... Vibrant is an aftermarket option for resonators. Roger that.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1021_1033

25 mph limits are for chumps, eh? LOL School must have been out when you did that.

Notice the tiny dog in the back seat. Too funny.

antirice 11-03-2014 01:17 PM

I recently upgraded the first gen magnaflow to the x-pipe(18" res). I have stock cats and I would say the loudness is mild, which is perfect for me. By no means it's quiet.

Also the guy who sold me the x-pipe said he had a buzz sound at low rpm. I believe he has 2.5" FI RHFC, paired up with 2.25" FI x-pipe(which he sold it to me), and the difference in diameter created the buzz. Not sure what will happen if it's the other way around.